PDA

View Full Version : 400ex works shocks on a raptor?

killed300ex
07-15-2004, 10:59 AM
I have a pair of works triple rate w/rezzies and im selling them. would they fit on a raptor? cuase i have someone that will buy them if they do...and if they dont someone make me an offer..they have like 10 rides on them..really good condition...

cdalejef
07-15-2004, 12:07 PM
They won't work, not enough stroke. Valving, bushings and spring rates are also wong.

killed300ex
07-15-2004, 12:09 PM
alrighty then i guess i need to find a new buyer....any offers?

daimon1054
07-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Try them! Take your shocks off the Raptor and see if they are close in length. Ride them a little and see what they feel like, Then you can have works re-valve them to you needs.

cdalejef
07-15-2004, 01:32 PM
The overall lenght isn't the important factor, its the length of the stroke.

daimon1054
07-15-2004, 02:46 PM
Most of the works atv shocks use the same body and shaft, the differance is in the spring and valving. So if they bolt up they will work, now they might not be valved or sprung right but the only way to tell is try them. Let's face it what will you lose? You put them on and ride and then say OK the rebound is to slow and it packs up, or you have the rings all the way screwed in and still have to much sag, what ever it is keep a log. Find what works best then call and get them valved and sprung they way you need. Or Jeff could be 100% right and they bottom easy and you notice the travel is not right. Still what have you lost? You can have a shop rebuild and respring them for 150 or so each or buy the stuff and do it yourself if you know what your doing. Either way if they work you will be way cheaper, for basicaly th cost of less than 1 front shock you have a dialed in suspension. Or you find it does not work you take them off and sell them then call Jeff and have him send you new shocks. Again what do you lose by trying?

Jeff I am not saying you are wrong just that it is worth trying, A friend is running 450R shocks on his 400ex and they work great but every shop said they would not, the 450R shocks will bolt up to a Z400 with no grinding, C-Dale shocks will bolt to either 450R or YFZ and you know every shock shop said they would not.

cdalejef
07-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Just because something bolts up doesn't mean they will work. For instance, I had a customer that put 400ex shocks on a Dale, the shocks allowed the arms to overextend and he broke a ball joint causing him to crash hard. Luckly he was not injured.
Works does use different length bodies and shafts for different bikes dude. I'm not trying to make a sale, I'm letting people know what the differences are before they waste their money or get seriously injured.

daimon1054
07-15-2004, 03:12 PM
I did not say you were, and I did not say put them on and race. I do not see how 400ex shocks over extended the C-dale a-arms but I'll take your word on it. But had he put the quad on a lift he would have seen a problem heck had he picked up the front he would. I have never put shocks on any quad and just gone out and let it rip. I made sure everything was working. I guess I am assuming people have common sence. I still say mount them up and see before you drop a grand + on new shocks.

Johnny_G
07-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Just because something bolts up doesn't mean they will work. For instance, I had a customer that put 400ex shocks on a Dale, the shocks allowed the arms to overextend and he broke a ball joint causing him to crash hard. Luckly he was not injured.
Works does use different length bodies and shafts for different bikes dude. I'm not trying to make a sale, I'm letting people know what the differences are before they waste their money or get seriously injured.

Jeff is right....there are many flaws with your bolt em up and see how they do plan.

first and foremost is safety..those shocks are not properly sprung, or valved for a raptor, and thats just the begining. Cost is also an issue, seeing as ny the time you purchased all the parts to rework them, and paid a suspension tech to do it..it would be much cheaper just to buy a proper set of shocks elsewhere.

I can bolt my rear wheels on to the front of my quad.......but it doesn't mean that I am dumb enough to actually ride it that way, or suggest that anyone else do it either:rolleyes:

daimon1054
07-15-2004, 04:51 PM
But you are saying that I am dumd enough?

Revalving and respring a shock is 150 so for 3 450 so please tell me what shocks you can buy for that?

Here a thought call works and see if the body and shaft part # are different.

killed300ex
07-15-2004, 09:00 PM
haha yea it seems everyone has thier opinion on it....you guys were alot of help tho...i think if this kid still wants to try it ill call up works and check the specs to see if they match....

Johnny_G
07-15-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by daimon1054
But you are saying that I am dumd enough?

Revalving and respring a shock is 150 so for 3 450 so please tell me what shocks you can buy for that?

Here a thought call works and see if the body and shaft part # are different.

I wasn't trying to insult you bud just make the point that just cause something fits doesn'mean that it works properly.

So to toss around what you said one more time...To clarify I am quite certain we are only talkin about front shocks here not a rear as well......assuming that all he needs to do is have both front shock revalved and resprung, and he doesn't need any additional parts that would be $300 in just conversion costs....now that is on top of whatever he pays for the shocks originally I am assuming that killed wouldn't sell them for less than $250........................so I took the liberty to go on ebay and find this nice young man some raptor shocks for under $550

here is a brand new set for $358 buy it now
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43974&item=2484483298&rd=1

and another set for $484 buy ti now wit rezzies
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43974&item=2484483298&rd=1

Sorry bro anything on EXRIDERS is open fer debate always but you are wrong on this one.

daimon1054
07-16-2004, 09:04 AM
And by your call rear tires and front tires are the same, the are the same size and width? Heres a thought on a 4X4 quad you can put the rears on the front with no problems becaue they are the same. So BUD if they fit they fit!

So you go on e-bay and get a set of shocks not set up for you. Debate this cheif you still have to have them rebuilt! So where's your cost now? You are wrong and are not smart enough to figure it out.

cdalejef
07-16-2004, 09:06 AM
This was on the first aucton he posted:

Computer calibrated to fit your riding style and size
Specially ordered for your exact bike and riding conditions

Johnny_G
07-16-2004, 03:17 PM
And by your call rear tires and front tires are the same, the are the same size and width? Heres a thought on a 4X4 quad you can put the rears on the front with no problems becaue they are the same. So BUD if they fit they fit!

So you go on e-bay and get a set of shocks not set up for you. Debate this cheif you still have to have them rebuilt! So where's your cost now? You are wrong and are not smart enough to figure it out.

YOU ARE TALKIN SMACK WITH NO KNOWLEDGE TO BACK IT UP....JEFF HAS SPENT HIS WHOLE LIFE WORKING ON ATV'S AND BETWEEN THE TWO OF US WE HAVE MORE TIME RIDING/RACING AND SETTING UP PROFESIONAL CALPIER ATV'S THAN YOU FEEBLE MIND CAN FATHOM.

I edited this post because I lost my cool when posting, and for that I am sorry...there is no room nor need for personal attacks

:(

daimon1054
07-16-2004, 03:22 PM
I have raced for 30 years yet I am a punk? Bite me a-hole you do not know what your talking about. Go try and sell you crap to some one who knows nothing about quads.
As to you giving me the opertunity to STFU who do you think you are? Just what do your think you could do?
I love internet tough guys you crak me up you know nothing yet spew the crap.

cdalejef
07-16-2004, 03:29 PM
We are just trying to give people info based on facts! The info you gave is false and could cause someone to get hurt.

Johnny_G
07-16-2004, 03:35 PM
My name is Johnny Gallagher, and my list of qualifications include:

-being ranked in the top 10 ATV riders in the world 3 of the last 6 years.
-I was ranked as the 61st greatest atv racer of all time by Dirtwheels magazine March of 2003.
-21 years atv racing experience (10 of them as a professional)
-Test rider for Custom Axis (2003-curent) OHLINS(2001-2002) PEP (1998-2001)

I am quite certain that this makes me not only qualified, but an AUTHORITY ON ATV SUSPENSION!

Thank you and have a nice day....I would like to apologize for insulting you personally but you really pushed my buttons

modracer5
07-16-2004, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Johnny_G
[B]My name is Johnny Gallagher, and my list of qualifications include:

-being ranked in the top 10 ATV riders in the world 3 of the last 8 years.
-I was ranked as the 61st greatest atv racer of all time by Dirtwheels magazine March of 2003.
-21 years atv racing experience (10 of them as a professional)
-Test rider for Custom Axis (2003-curent) OHLINS(2001-2002) PEP (1998-2001)

I am quite certain that this makes me not only qualified, but an AUTHORITY ON ATV SUSPENSION!

Johnny, please don't sugar coat it!! Tell us how you really feel! lol!!

popo
07-16-2004, 03:51 PM
I had and 2001 Raptor, thinking to overcompansate being so tippy, I bought a set of Works Banshee shocks to lower the ride height, bad mistake.... it rode really bad.

Thinking Elka would be the answer, thinking a higher quality shock would overcome the problem.

Jeff had strongly advised me about the possible dangers, I did not listen and went for the Elka's. Again a rough ride and would bottom out bad.

I took my lose on the shocks and listened to Jeff and put long travel shocks on.

Johnny_G
07-16-2004, 03:55 PM
I typically just sit and let ppl say whatever, but I felt this case was just one that needed to be addresed. Safety is something that I do not take lightly, and don't see why people need to argue their uninformed position to the end of the earth.

Diamon1054 since I now know that you are an adult, I can use this argument...I assume you have a career of some type, lets say for instance you write computer software I would never dare come into a forum about about computer software and argue with you about programming code, because you are the educated one, and I merely dabble in programming from time to time. So please understand that I take it very personally when you incorectly argue with two people who are very well educated, and informed as to the workings of atv suspension!

Oh well differneces make the world go round, But I know when I am wrong...(which happens alot) I step up and admit it, and I guess I just think others should do the same.

daimon1054
07-16-2004, 10:20 PM
Not only do I write computer software but I am also a design engineer. I have developed race cars and quad's, I worked for a major ATV company as a test rider and development engineer for a few years. I do know what I am talking about, and I have run shocks on quads that I was told would never work and they did. If you take precautions and measure the shock then check the travel and action of all components, then take you time and work up to speed your can figure out if it will work. How do you think we develop things? Just jumping up and saying it will not work when you have no idea is not good advice. I never said it would work I said you guys might be right and it might not. What I said was there was nothing to loose by trying and I stick by that.

As for insults and threats over the internet because you thought I was a kid? It should not mater what age I am people deserve respect and to act tough and bad *** over the net is a very large showing that you are trying to defend your position through ignorance. If you defend you position with facts then great but try not to intimidate people over the internet.

rowlrag
07-19-2004, 11:04 PM
This should be the part numbers
http://www.pro-flo.com/atv/2/proflo_works_atv_high_performance_gas_shocks_piggy back.htm

rowlrag
07-19-2004, 11:07 PM
wrong link

rowlrag
07-19-2004, 11:09 PM
Part numbers are different

400 ex For Stock A-Arms Without Adjustable Rebound
150-210-lb. 22-8055-66823-1 $629.95
220-275-lb. 22-8055-99823-1 $629.95

raptor For Stock A-Arms Without Adjustable Rebound
150-210-lb.
22-8050-65721-1
$629.95
220-275-lb.
22-8050-65726-1
$629.95

Pappy
07-21-2004, 12:32 PM
If you take precautions and measure the shock then check the travel and action of all components, then take you time and work up to speed your can figure out if it will work.

What I said was there was nothing to loose by trying and I stick by that.

first off, 99 times out of 100 the person wont take ANY precautions at all. so giving any advice that could lead to part failure or personal injury is not only stupid, but it has potential for bodily harm

and by you saying there is nothing to lose:confused: lets see, if they damage the shock (money lost) if the rider wrecks (money and bodily injury lost) it seems like there is enough reason to be smart about using the correct parts.

and jeff is consistant. i myself have tried to go the "cheap" route and use shocks that werent for my model of quad and he tells me the exact same thing he has stated here.

and johnnys math is dead on regarding buying a new set for a reasonable price from ebay or another vendor.

id have to add that alot of people that say they tried a shock swap and felt no real issues probably have never rode a properly tuned suspension.

this is an arguement over safety and concern and when those are the topics an intelligant person will side to caution;)

rollie
07-22-2004, 11:25 AM
I have raced for 30 years yet I am a punk? Bite me a-hole you do not know what your talking about. Go try and sell you crap to some one who knows nothing about quads.
As to you giving me the opertunity to STFU who do you think you are? Just what do your think you could do?

i wouldnt mess with JEFFRO or JOHNNY G:eek: :eek2: they know what there talking about for sure!!!:o ;)

Bustin_beadz
07-22-2004, 12:39 PM

I'm guessin your the type of person that thinks just because a ford ranger has a ball on the bumper that you can pull a 36 foot fishin boat with it. Front tires aren't touching the ground, but heck I can pull it so it' must be OK..

Your posting BS info for other uneducated riders to read. They then go out and do what you recommend only to get hurt because hey, If it mounts up it must work. Hell i've got some rancho shocks off my truck. I'll grind them puppies down so they fit in the shock mount and use them. They fit so they must work.

You should be fired if your an engineer for a company.:blah: Have a good day dummy.

daimon1054
07-23-2004, 10:52 PM
WOW the dumb asses are coming out!

Fred55
07-23-2004, 11:41 PM
If they worked, wouldnt the shock companies already be doing it? :eek2:

Pappy
07-24-2004, 06:36 AM
WOW the dumb asses are coming out!

well since your out, do you need directions from wence you came:confused: