PDA

View Full Version : Kenda Klaws in soft terrain?

86350x
07-15-2004, 12:49 AM
Still waiting for mine to arrive, but has anyone run these in the sand on a higher hp bike yet? Wasn't sure If I should mount them in the opposite direction or not. I was hopping they would work good with the v pointing forward also. I mainly ride in harder terrain near the homestead.

There going on a ported, piped,ect. banshee

cdalejef
07-15-2004, 07:22 AM
Not sure about the sand but they will work wonders on the hardpack!

Zingnut
07-15-2004, 07:37 AM
I have used them in all conditions pretty much and found that I never had to change the direction to soft. I always have them in the hard direction. Of course mine is not a high HP quad but I found they climb real well in the sand and on gravel hills. Have been satisfied with the purchase.

http://www.zingnut.com/Pics/Wheeler/sand14.jpg

DGR
07-15-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Zingnut
I have used them in all conditions pretty much and found that I never had to change the direction to soft. I always have them in the hard direction. Of course mine is not a high HP quad but I found they climb real well in the sand and on gravel hills. Have been satisfied with the purchase.

http://www.zingnut.com/Pics/Wheeler/sand14.jpg
in the picture they are set up for soft terrain .... :rolleyes:

Zingnut
07-15-2004, 09:46 AM
This is from the same day and as you can see they are in the hard direction no the soft, sorry for the poorly lite back tire in the first pic...

http://www.zingnut.com/Pics/Wheeler/sand2.jpg

stonerider250x
07-15-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by DGR
in the picture they are set up for soft terrain .... :rolleyes:

u might wanna go to the eye doctor cuz i could clearly see they were in the hard packed direction

DGR
07-15-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by stonerider250x
u might wanna go to the eye doctor cuz i could clearly see they were in the hard packed direction
i can clearly see the tread ... i was thinking about prowedge's direction... excuse me. but maybe could someone post a side shotof thier kenda klaw ... we'll be sure ;)

86350x
07-16-2004, 02:17 AM
No need to fight about it, he's got them in the hard direction. I think I'll just go with that for now. I'm probrably gonna run it more around here anyways. Kinda hard to find or carry mixed race gas when I trail ride.

I just hope there better then my xc holeshots when it gets slicker out and in the sand. The holeshots worked good in the harder soil, but I have a huge grass track here, they would still be spinning in 6'th:eek2:

Zingnut
07-16-2004, 07:32 AM
The whole grass and Kenda mix... Not a winner, when the grass is wet or when it like a real kinda crab grassy mix they slide bad... Its controllable but they do slide... The hookup they give ya is pretty good in those conditions but you better stay in a straight line. I do enjoy my klaws but am thinking of changing out the fronts for Razr2's if the SSD setup does not help in the corners. As far as the sand I had no issues when I rode in the sand. Hope this helps ya.

On a side note I don't know of many tires that slide well in wet or the real slick grass... Maybe the Razr2 rears but not sure about the all around performance on those only rode with the fronts.

cdalejef
07-16-2004, 07:39 AM
No problems with Kenda's and slick stuff here :confused:

Cole Trane
07-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Don't those hand guards get in the way? I know they work great, but those things are HUGE!

cdalejef
07-16-2004, 08:44 AM
Not at all....I don't even notice them.

Cole Trane
07-16-2004, 08:45 AM
Right on. I think if I ever do a harescramble or something, I might pick up a set.

cdalejef
07-16-2004, 08:46 AM
They work best over top of normal handguards like Cycra.

Cole Trane
07-16-2004, 08:53 AM
Cool, thanks.

Zingnut
07-16-2004, 09:22 AM
But Jeff aren't you using the Knarly's on the rear of your quad. (I have been talking solely about the Klaws only) Also in the slick stuff I am referring to wet grass not mud. They work great in the mud as long as it doesn't get to deep.

~Jeff

cdalejef
07-16-2004, 09:41 AM
I thought you were talking about the fronts. I have some shots of me on slick clay too hooking up great. The Klaw rears were designed for hard pack dry conditions so you can't really expect them to do well in the slick stuff.

07-16-2004, 09:50 AM
Personally seen jeffs Kenda's hook up great on the slick stuff at the last GNCC. He was able to go through some slick stuff I had no chance at!!!!!!!!!!! I ended up at the bottom of the hill in a bottleneck!

Pappy
07-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Zingnut
Also in the slick stuff I am referring to wet grass not mud.

~Jeff

wet grass is like ice. evene a deep cleated mud tire will slide ...till it hooks and plants your *** in the dirt:D

Zingnut
07-16-2004, 11:02 AM
wet grass is like ice. evene a deep cleated mud tire will slide ...till it hooks and plants your *** in the dirt

Like I said it is a great all around tire, and hooks up in everything but "wet grass ;)". I hope the fronts hook up better after I go to the SSD suspension. I have been having tippy and pushing issues on the front.