PDA

View Full Version : if it were you??

mrnate400ex
07-14-2004, 11:38 PM
alright, here is the dilemma. i want to get some new shocks for my 400ex. i mostly ride trails and dunes, however a few races are in the picture too. would you get some works triple rates with rezzies, or elka triple rates without rezzies? if i got the elka's, i would put rezzies on them eventually but not until i need a rebuild or service. tell me what you think.

hondarider2006
07-15-2004, 01:24 AM
If you plan on just getting rezzys down the road....Go with the Elkas:cool:

Cole Trane
07-15-2004, 06:49 AM
If you don't ride for periods longer than 1 hr straight, definately get the elkas. We've had a few posts about this in the last week, this is what they've said. The elkas will fade w/o rezzies if you ride for long periods. If you give them time to cool off they'll be fine though. I'd say go with the elkas. Hope this helps.

p@iNn3ck
07-15-2004, 06:50 AM
I've been bashing my head in tryin to make a decision on shocks too.... just incase any1 didnt know, adding rezzies later is definitely more $$$. I know its a bigger up front hit, but seems better to save a little more, and spend it once, than wait and pay more. Here's an excerpt from an email from Elka:

The recreational and sport and racing shocks have the same body and component, the difference with the Racing shock is that you have a reservoir and compression adjuster.
When adding reservoir with compression adjustment you are looking at $460.00US, we are not able to add a piggyback reservoir since you have to change completely the head of the shock and with a remote reservoir we just screw in the reservoir.

just my $.02

mrnate400ex
07-15-2004, 08:32 AM
the way i have been looking at it too is that my ex can only go real hard so long, and then it gets hot too. i only usually like to ride it hard for about an hour or so anyway(don't want to overheat it). so my thinking is that adding the rezzies down the road will be a good investment and help spread out the cost a little. you don't have to purchase the rezzies with the compression adjustment either. if you are happy with what you have without the adjustments, why change that??? that will save you a few more $$$$. just a few more thoughts.

daimon1054
07-15-2004, 08:56 AM
Ask yourself this, have you ever felt the stock shock go away? Be 100% honest. Most people will never fell the stocker go away so it is a waste of money for them to get rez shocks. If you fell your stockers go away on just about every ride get the res shocks.

Res shocks are the hot ticket now because people see the racers with them and have to have what the racers have but that does not mean they need them. If you can not explain exactly what it feels like the second your stockers go off, you don't need rez shocks.

redrunner
07-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Definetly go with the elkas, if you don't race like stated you will probably not notice any heat build up. I was planning on adding rezzies later too after I see how the run on trail rides.

sandslinger101
07-15-2004, 09:55 PM
if it was me, well i have and would again put elka with resies on with comp adj if any way posible. granted i have plus 2 arms on also, but compared to stock suspension they are 10 times better. i was running the mac daddy rear conversion but i just installed the elka rear shock and linkage about a month ago. i ride alot at sahara and for my age i can ride for hours and not get tired due to how plush the suspension is at speed. just like i can ride down express lane (at little sahara) as fast as the motor will pull and the quad just rides right on top of the woops. so i thing the best investment you could make in your quad would be the best suspension you could afford. the way i justify the cost of all these parts is i say well it is cheaper than one day in the hospital:D hope i helped.