PDA

View Full Version : suzuki DRZ in 400ex -- please help

004exkid
08-28-2001, 04:56 PM
I am seriously thinking of trying to put a drz400e engine in my 400ex. I am pretty sure i can handle all of the fab work (motor mounts, radiator, and wiring.) The only thing i am worried about is the swingarm bolt that runs through the case. Will the bolt be the same diameter, or will i need to machine a new bolt. I race xc and want to do a clean job so the handling and jumping charastics arent thrown off. Any help or problems i may run into would be appreciated. thanks

4punksdad
08-29-2001, 05:51 PM
just wait a little while & suzuki might sell you one........don't butcher your 400ex when suzuki is planning a new quad in the near future.

papaw
08-29-2001, 07:07 PM
you might try tc racing he biult doug gust's racer this year but of course he's on a aftermarket chassis,but he migt have some info for you.i don't have any numbers or a web address though....

004exkid
08-29-2001, 07:43 PM
I also plan to put the ex engine back into the drz. I would wait for a new quad if i only planed on using the engine though. I had a dirtbike before my ex and now I think I "need " both.I belive that the drz will should more realible than a 40 horse ex engine, also I get watercooling. I think i will be a fun project, but dont want to get in over my head. Not to many people can say they own 2 custom honukis. : )

im still in the thinking and saving stage but thanks for the help

Guy400
08-29-2001, 08:02 PM
If you're going to put the EX engine in the DRZ frame why don't you just buy a DRZ and keep your engines in the bikes they came in? I mean, why buy a DRZ and swap the engines around? Sounds like a lot of cash and hassle to just have 2 toys. These engine swaps are more complicated and expensive than people think.

004exkid
08-30-2001, 09:02 AM
Im just looking at swaping the engines as an alternative to moding the stock engine. A 400ex makes around 27-28 horsepower stock and a drz400 makes 40+ stock. Im still thinking, but it would be really trick if everything worked out.