PDA

View Full Version : ok lets talk about drag racin

REDARMYRACER
07-14-2004, 08:07 PM
OK READ THIS WHOLE POST

the bike is quick as hell!(450r ofcourse) but my buddy always beats me on his YFZ thats STOCK!!!! My bike is faster, from a tweenty mph roll i'll smoke him, but god damn he can get the hole shot. I'm no newbie either. whats working for u guys when u line it up, my stcok gearing seems way to tall for a 2nd gear take off. I hug the tank like its my life so the front end don't come up when i drop the hammer on the throttle but i just can't beat him on the hole shot. WHAT'S THE SECRET OF THE PROS HERE???

ps i got two good freinds that ride YFZ's and they conspire agianst me please HELP!!!!!!!! HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

i'd like to keep the gearing stock if possible

Gibson Racing 6
07-14-2004, 10:16 PM
HRC Kit ???? that would be a good start....:confused: :confused:

twisted threads
07-15-2004, 03:32 AM
When your running stock gearing take off in first gear.

Here is a picture of my brother on his 450r(lrd pipe, HRC) Vs. a ALBA YFZ on the left and a T5 banshee on the right.

MY450R
07-15-2004, 07:53 AM
well you may have a little slower reaction time
i alway beat my friend on his yfz
also with the 450r you really cant give it everything its got right on the line almost have to ease it to full throttle within a second or so
also whats your weight vs. his

Bretmd94
07-15-2004, 09:11 AM
What are both of you running for paddles? Air pressure? Both of those things can make a 400ex beat a 450r in a shorter drag.

If your running some cheap paddles, and have the wrong airpressure for the conditions you will be loosing time considerably.

I always launch in 1st with my stock gearing, then a quick shift to 2nd. Im running 8 paddle haulers on 8" rims. Usually I will run about 4lbs depending on how much i want to drag, and how dry the sand is. Ive dropped it down to 3 if i dont have the traction i want, but usually 4 or 5lbs works jsut fine to where i can go full throttle or the front will come up too much.

If you want to launch in 2nd increase the tire pressure a bit so you have some slippage at the start to keep the rpms up. You will be dragging as if you were riding a banshee though and i doubt it will be faster than letting the torque of the 4 stroke launch you off the line.

86atc250r
07-15-2004, 10:40 AM
So far everyone is assuming your running sand drags...

What kind of drag racing are you doing?

In most cases, you won't be able to pull a strong 2nd gear launch with stock gearing - stick to 1st.

Lower the quad. This will help prevent wheelies and let you apply more power sooner.

Tire selection --- this will depend on the drag racing you're doing.

In my experience, I've had no problem at all pulling big holeshots over YFZ's. Problem is, in longer drags the ones with cam mods, open airboxes, and pipes, can inch up on my HRC 450R.

REDARMYRACER
07-15-2004, 03:37 PM
ok oko kok ok oko k

i got an hrc kit too(messed the signature)

8'' 8paddles extreme haulers

i'm like 50-60 lbs lighter which i think is why i have a hard time keepin the front down

twisted threads
07-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by REDARMYRACER
i got an hrc kit too(messed the signature)

8'' 8paddles extreme haulers

i'm like 50-60 lbs lighter which i think is why i have a hard time keepin the front down

If you got a pipe and a HRC kit you should be blowing your buddys stock YFZ's doors off. Try launching in First and that should do the trick but remember use your cluch a little so you don't do a HUGE wheele off the line.:D

86atc250r
07-15-2004, 04:53 PM
My HRC setup was having difficulty pulling 1st gear launches in the sand with a 13T front sprocket -- if you're trying 2nd with stock gearing, I'm surprised you're not killing it....

Lower the quad to get better launches without wheelies.

Manny55
07-15-2004, 05:40 PM
Twisted Is that 450r the one with the 22 paddles because i raced whoever was on that 450r and he beat me once and i beat him the other time. Everyone kept switching off on the 450rs so i couldn't tell who waas racing lol.

07-15-2004, 08:14 PM
i race mx with 18" holeshots and stock gearing. what i found is you half to get the tires to spin or you will stall or pull the front. dont wory about traction,,, it will find it!!!!! try airing up the rears:cool: just a sug....

twisted threads
07-16-2004, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by Manny55
Twisted Is that 450r the one with the 22 paddles because i raced whoever was on that 450r and he beat me once and i beat him the other time. Everyone kept switching off on the 450rs so i couldn't tell who waas racing lol.

Yep thats the one. I know that everyone keep swiching bikes .....it was a blast seeing what set up worked and what didn't.:D By the way here is a picture of me and you both getting spanked by that bike.;)

Manny55
07-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Well maybe i didn't beat him, haha. I was racing so many 450rs at the same time i couldn't tell which was which. At least that wasn't as bad as the alba yfz and the banshee that he killed. I'm guessing im on the right and your on the left?

twisted threads
07-16-2004, 05:03 PM
At least that wasn't as bad as the alba yfz and the banshee that he killed. I'm guessing im on the right and your on the left?

YOU were doing awsome I thought! :macho And your right your on the right.;)

Manny55
07-16-2004, 05:08 PM
YOU were doing awsome I thought!

Why thank you. You did even better if you were able to tie me everytime because we have pretty much the same mods except you just have ur lid off and i don't even have an airbox. So if i could drive better u should of been able to take ya. How much do you weigh twisted?

twisted threads
07-16-2004, 05:20 PM
How much do you weigh twisted?
I weigh 170 pounds

You did even better if you were able to tie me everytime because we have pretty much the same mods except you just have ur lid off
You were probley one if not the fastest YFZ I raced that day. I though my 450r was running very well for whats done to it. I beat every 450r I raced that just had a pipe only.:cool:

Manny55
07-17-2004, 09:28 AM
You were probley one if not the fastest YFZ I raced that day. I though my 450r was running very well for whats done to it. I beat every 450r I raced that just had a pipe only.

Wow im surprised. I remember when i first got down to the bowl these 450rs were racing and i get in line my first race it popped up on my and then my hands slipped off the handle bars and my feet slipped off the pegs. I'm like dang that sucks lol.

Manny55
07-17-2004, 09:29 AM
I weigh 170 pounds

I have like 25 lbs on you; i weigh 145.

Manny55
07-17-2004, 09:38 AM
Acuatlly now that i think about it i think i barely lost that race i think i came within half a quad length. Because i don't remember losing that bad to any of the 450rs.

twisted threads
07-17-2004, 04:36 PM
I found one more race between the three bikes. My brothers bike is on the fare right(my buddy Is racing it) Im in the middle and your on the left. You got me on this race by a tire.:D

Manny55
07-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Lol yay :D !