PDA

View Full Version : porting

sim
07-14-2004, 05:52 PM
whats up

im thinking about proting my head but im not sure what im getting in too? what exactly is it and what do the machinist do?

if it matters im running right now a ex400 with a K&N air filter with pre-charger air box cover off keihin 39mm carb, stage 2 hot cam, lrd full system exhaust thats about it for engine parts the other things im sure doesnt matter.:confused:

TC426EX
07-14-2004, 07:55 PM
If youre gonna port it youll wanna bore it and add a cam too. Porting is where they re shape the intake side of the head often enlarging it and smoothing it out to prevent fuel/air separation. Often times, the exhaust port is enlarged too, and all the casting flaws are removed from the head making better flow. You wont notice much from the headwork unless you add a cam at least and some compression, if not bore your cylinder while youre at it.

07-14-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
If youre gonna port it youll wanna bore it and add a cam too. Porting is where they re shape the intake side of the head often enlarging it and smoothing it out to prevent fuel/air separation. Often times, the exhaust port is enlarged too, and all the casting flaws are removed from the head making better flow. You wont notice much from the headwork unless you add a cam at least and some compression, if not bore your cylinder while youre at it.

well put :macho

speedy400
07-14-2004, 09:42 PM
What? Smoothing out the intake? No way, do not polish the intake, you can make the intake for a straight line, same with the exhaust, but only polish the exhaust, I guess it helps atomization for better explosion, polish the exhaust to a mirror finish if you like. Do a lot of asking and reading and its no problem, I ported my banshee at the age of 14 and ported my 400ex at 15, bolth with very good turnouts, I asked and talked to pros and learned how to do it right.-darren

sparks400
07-15-2004, 12:47 AM
im starting now to port and polish, i just did some research, what u do is piece of paper, and draw the intake manifold hope on to the paper, and transferr it to the intake ports, and make it that big, and smooth it out for a str8 line and no disrupions along the way to the cylinder, and the u smooth out the exhaust port to a mirror finish look, and make it a bit bigger to, i havent tried this way yet, but i am soon to my 400ex, ill tell ya'll how it goes