PDA

View Full Version : cometic gaskets?

chucked
07-14-2004, 05:03 PM
I ordered a JE 416 piston kit from Orient Express and the gasket kit comes with cometic gaskets. They have been held up because cometic supposidly found a problem with the head gasket and is redesigning the gasket. Anyone had a problem with this set up, like the head gasket blowing????

chucked
07-14-2004, 05:04 PM
forgot to mention, Im not even sure this is true, they might be telling me this just because they are back-ordered and they dont want me to buy a gasket from someone else.... NOT SURE!

cals400ex
07-14-2004, 05:20 PM
i am not sure. i do know C&D has an order from cosmetic that isn't in yet either. i hear they have been backordered for a while.

chucked
07-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i am not sure. i do know C&D has an order from cosmetic that isn't in yet either. i hear they have been backordered for a while.

damn this sucks.....

TC426EX
07-14-2004, 07:40 PM
OK, I just rebuilt my whole motor after breaking a shift shaft about a month ago. I used a whole cometic top end kit and factory honda bottom end gaskets. I have had no problems with the cometic AT ALL... I am running 12:1 compression on a 426, and still no problems. It is a quality 3 layer metal gasket. I ordered mine from wiseco when I ordered my new rings and they shipped the gaskets out from their california warehouse. I use an overbore gasket in mine, so dont know if they are only having problems with the stock bore or not. Call Wiseco and they should be able to get you the gaskets no problem if you want them...

cals400ex
07-15-2004, 12:48 AM
yeah, it does stink. my buddy keeps asking me if the gaskets came in yet. its not our or C&D's or anyone else's fault with the problem at cosmetic. my friend and i both ran cosmetic gaskets in our 406's and we had great success. i want to stay with them but i guess we will have to see how long it is going to take for them to make more.

hondarider2006
07-15-2004, 01:13 AM
I waited for almost a month....and decided to just go with stock gaskets:o

cals400ex
07-15-2004, 01:33 PM
that stinks you waited that long. C&D said their order should be coming in a week and a half. hopefully they will be here in 2 weeks then. but, i guess it will all depend on whether cosmetic sends them out when they are supposed too.

chucked
07-15-2004, 01:50 PM
that stinks you waited that long. C&D said their order should be coming in a week and a half. hopefully they will be here in 2 weeks then. but, i guess it will all depend on whether cosmetic sends them out when they are supposed too.

well the good thing is, my 400 is still run-able, but im only getting 80 psi in the top and, it needs to be replaced asap

cals400ex
07-15-2004, 05:08 PM
you could just run oem head and base gaskets or the XR gaskets. the 416 cosmetic gasket kit has a 1mm larger radius around the hole. this would mean a 2mm larger diameter, but taking 1mm off of each side would = 2mm diameter. so, you could dremel the headgasket out a bit if you could get ahold of these gaskets quicker.

chucked
07-15-2004, 05:18 PM
you could just run oem head and base gaskets or the XR gaskets. the 416 cosmetic gasket kit has a 1mm larger radius around the hole. this would mean a 2mm larger diameter, but taking 1mm off of each side would = 2mm diameter. so, you could dremel the headgasket out a bit if you could get ahold of these gaskets quicker.

well its all part of the kit, i dont know if i can get orient express to ship just the piston, ive already placed my order and everything, I think I can wait, its not like I race competitively or anything

hondarider2006
07-16-2004, 02:49 AM

Yeah thats what they told me also, but I have many races in 2 weeks;)

cals400ex
07-16-2004, 09:37 AM
hey chuck, do you have a piston and cam in the bike now or your getting ready to install them?

just curious if you nail your rev limiter on that dyna box? i know 400 extra rpms over stock won't be enough for me. i would periodically nail the sparks and that gave me an extra 1000rpms over stock. i really don't want to pay $400 for the msd or vortex when they come out. however, the dyna i will need programed and i could by the msd cheaper than the dyna and programing kit. just looking for some advice. if your still running the stock cam and piston, well then you probably wouldn't know. they stage 2 revs well past the stock limiter in my bike. thanks

chucked
07-16-2004, 10:21 AM
hey chuck, do you have a piston and cam in the bike now or your getting ready to install them?

just curious if you nail your rev limiter on that dyna box? i know 400 extra rpms over stock won't be enough for me. i would periodically nail the sparks and that gave me an extra 1000rpms over stock. i really don't want to pay $400 for the msd or vortex when they come out. however, the dyna i will need programed and i could by the msd cheaper than the dyna and programing kit. just looking for some advice. if your still running the stock cam and piston, well then you probably wouldn't know. they stage 2 revs well past the stock limiter in my bike. thanks

yea everythign is still stock, I got everythign I need except for the piston (cam, bits to port the head, jets)

cals400ex
07-16-2004, 02:23 PM
that sounds good. but, i still need to decide on an ignition box. for the type of riding i do, it is a must for me.

chucked
07-16-2004, 03:23 PM
well the guy that is doing all my motor work has the software to change it, it will be tuned on a dyno after everything is broken in. I really need this motor job soon, im starting to loose to stock 300ex's

cals400ex
07-16-2004, 05:07 PM
that is nice he has the program to adjust the dyna curves. i know the extra 400 rpms that the dyna box gives me won't be enough. i just just get a TC.

if your bike is losing to stock 300's, it does need some help. :o

chucked
07-16-2004, 07:02 PM
that is nice he has the program to adjust the dyna curves. i know the extra 400 rpms that the dyna box gives me won't be enough. i just just get a TC.

if your bike is losing to stock 300's, it does need some help. :o

yea i did a compression check about 3 weeks ago and it has 80 psi, i know it should at the minimum be getting 120, and 100 psi is required to even run!