PDA

View Full Version : Traded in my 250ex, kind of miss it.

Chris07
07-14-2004, 09:13 AM
I am an avid trail rider. About 5 months ago I purchased a 250ex. Great machine if you are not power oriented. I had no problems hanging with a lot bigger bikes. It was nimble and the shaft drive a high ground clearance was great for the rough trails. My only complaint about the 250 was the harsh ride and the short length of the bike. ON little mounds on the trail I was always getting bucked over the front of the handlebars if I chose not to ramp it.
Last week I purchased a 04 KFX400. One word, WOW! The power is unreal when comparing it to the 250. I have a lot smoother ride now with 400 if I keep the speed up. It takes the bumps better and everything, but I still feel that in the tight woods I could smoke it with my 250 LOL. I just need to get use to the new bike. I have found that 20” tires kind of suck on rutted trails. I got hung up with the KFX. I have never got hung up with the 250. The 250 was a lot more flickable than the KFX. I the end I am happy with my purchased, but after owning the 250ex its not as bad as a lot people make it out to be. Power is not everything, even know it is fun to have. ;) I’ll probably buy another 250ex for the wife next year

wilkin250r
07-14-2004, 09:56 AM
This doesn't surprise me at all. When you get into tight sections, power doesn't matter and size and weight make a big difference. My 250r has +2 arms and a +4 axle, and because of that there are many little trails and sections near my house that I can take MUCH faster with my little 250X, even though it has half the power of my 250r.

stonerider250x
07-14-2004, 10:03 AM
yea power dont really mean nuthin in tight trails. somthing that could help u out with the kfx is 21 or 22 inch tires and swing arm and belly skids so it will slide over the dirt/mud if u bottom out.;)

Chris07
07-14-2004, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't mind having 22" tires, but I think it would take away from the look of the bike. Another thing is 22" will req. some re-gearing. This could get $$$$ fast :) A swing-arm skid plat is a must. Stock on is plastic!

redroost85
07-14-2004, 10:18 AM
I kinda miss my old 250ex too. I pimped that thing to the max. Works, Durablue, DG, powdercoated everthing, you name it, it was pretty much on there.

It was a looker for sure!:cool: