PDA

View Full Version : kick starting

dodgeram
07-13-2004, 04:23 PM
I am looking into purchasing a new trx450r , but I have one concern and that is the kick starter. Does the bike normally fire off arter one kick or do you have to kick it numerous times for it to fire off. Also how is the cold start in winter, do you have to kick you guts out to make the bike start...any info would be appreciated.

ZRider400
07-13-2004, 04:27 PM
mine always starts 1st or 2nd kick.

Gillbilly
07-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Ive talked to some guys that used them ice racing and they said no problems but at that time it really wasnt that cold,above 20 degrees.As far as warm from what I hear 1or2 kicks just dont hit the gas,after motor is hot hit the hot start .

trout
07-13-2004, 04:46 PM
Kick start is a NON-ISSUE.

wheather on a hill, or super hot at 12,000 ft. in gear, in nuetral, cold, mine will start on the 1st or 2nd kick every time. Maybe once in a blue moon it takes three, but it starts super easy.

90% of the time if I stall it or whatever, I dont even get my butt off the seat, just kick it once good with the Hot start pushed in and it fires up first kick, sitting down!

truth.

trout:macho

TWISTED
07-13-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by trout
Kick start is a NON-ISSUE.

wheather on a hill, or super hot at 12,000 ft. in gear, in nuetral, cold, mine will start on the 1st or 2nd kick every time. Maybe once in a blue moon it takes three, but it starts super easy.

90% of the time if I stall it or whatever, I dont even get my butt off the seat, just kick it once good with the Hot start pushed in and it fires up first kick, sitting down!

truth.

trout:macho What he said. I had my concerns at first but not anymore. I bought mine at the end of Jan. I live about 35 miles from my dealer and with the temp. in the teens and a70mph wind chill I was expecting alot of fun getting it to start whn I got home, but low and behold the second kick she came to life. So the moral of the story is do not let that hold you back from getting a great machine.

250rtone
07-13-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by TWISTED
What he said. I had my concerns at first but not anymore. I bought mine at the end of Jan. I live about 35 miles from my dealer and with the temp. in the teens and a70mph wind chill I was expecting alot of fun getting it to start whn I got home, but low and behold the second kick she came to life. So the moral of the story is do not let that hold you back from getting a great machine. This is true .

Porkchop
07-14-2004, 12:12 AM
so these things kick over pretty easy then? they dont like break your leg or anything do they? are they as easy to kick over as a banshee?

Punk'd
07-14-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Porkchop
so these things kick over pretty easy then? they dont like break your leg or anything do they? are they as easy to kick over as a banshee?

Read the thread over again.. lol j/p man YES they are easy to kick 1-2 kicks they said! You can start it sitting down.. I hope that gives you a idea how easy it is to start.

so.. DONT WORRY ABOUT STARTING PROBLEMS ;)

kwatts400
07-14-2004, 01:28 AM
Its easier to kick over than my 250r, and I've started it sitting down many times.

twisted threads
07-14-2004, 04:14 AM
Me and the wife when down to the sand this past weekend and she rode the 450r all day.... and she can start it first kick almost 90% of the time so that tells you its very easy to kick. On the way home I asked her if she had any problems at all with starting the bike and she said once she couldn't get it started but then reallized the key was OFF.:o :D

trick450r
07-14-2004, 08:03 AM
Its gets SO MUCH easier after the first month or so...when i first got it it was 9:00 at night in the dead of winter so were talking like 10-maybe 15 degrees the guys stayed late to finish it for me we get it outside and i go to start it....nothing, 15 kicks later she came to life and i was think oh ***** i should have bought the yfz! but then i got home and decided to run her up the rode so now its 10:00 and 9 degrees outside and it started up first kickand didnt even sputter with no warm up period to go flat out down the road, now it starts first kick no matter the conditions, except if the condition is having the key off or killswitch out!!

MX#9
07-14-2004, 09:45 AM
All you need to do is basically push your leg thru the stroke. You DO NOT need to kick it hard! 1-2 kicks is all it takes,if it is taking longer you have the key off or your kill switch off or out. In my opinion,it starts and warms up way better than the cranky 400ex. Let me put it this way, if a 400ex was kick start, it would probably pi$$ me off.

Duncanracer
07-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Porkchop

when have banshees ever started easy?

the compression compares to my 330r, but then i had to worry sometimes about kick back, but not on the 450r, 1st kick everytime, wamr or cold, i ahvent even had to use the hot start yet...

well actually it took me 30 kicks to start it one time
29 kicks, looked down and saw my kill cord hanging, 1 kick and it started...LOL

WOracing
07-14-2004, 05:21 PM
banshees do start easy, whos shee were you kicking?

Pappy
07-14-2004, 05:24 PM
i can now start faster then electric start quads:o

Toadz400
07-15-2004, 09:14 AM
I finally rode a 450R yesterday in someone's yard, not very much but I got a good idea of what the powerband is like. As for kicking it over, VERY easy, almost as easy as my Banshee...just a little more compresion it seems. And compared to a 250R with 235lbs of compression..yea it's easy:o .

Bretmd94
07-15-2004, 09:18 AM
any 4 stroke isnt going to be as easy as a banshee. I can start a banshee with my hand (yes i have actually tried). But the 450r is nothing at all to worry about. I used to have a 350x 3 wheeler, and it was a bit of a pain sometimes, but the 450r is way easier. If its cold put the choke on and she fires right up. If its all hot from riding, use the hot start and she fires right up.

That and you wont be stuck when the battery dies on your freinds yfz:blah:

MY450R
07-15-2004, 09:32 AM
YEAH and the battery WILL die on your friends yfz eventually and you can laugh at him now

TWISTED
07-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by MX#9
All you need to do is basically push your leg thru the stroke. You DO NOT need to kick it hard! 1-2 kicks is all it takes,if it is taking longer you have the key off or your kill switch off or out. In my opinion,it starts and warms up way better than the cranky 400ex. Let me put it this way, if a 400ex was kick start, it would probably pi$$ me off. Nothing I mean nothing is more true than this!!!!

nhyfzrider
07-15-2004, 06:45 PM
my bud just got a 450r and sometimes it kicks over 1st time, sometimes 3, and sometimes 15 or more. this was the first day, so hopefully it gets better! he resorted to parking at hills and bump starting it. nice quad though, im on a yfz.

WOracing
07-15-2004, 07:06 PM
lmao, thats your freind not the quad...:rolleyes:

Punk'd
07-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by nhyfzrider
my bud just got a 450r and sometimes it kicks over 1st time, sometimes 3, and sometimes 15 or more. this was the first day, so hopefully it gets better! he resorted to parking at hills and bump starting it. nice quad though, im on a yfz.

nhyfzrider your name tells me B/S and so does my head there is no way its going to take 15 or more kicks to start
:huh

unless your friend is a idiot:blah:

MIA450R
07-15-2004, 09:33 PM
Why so quick to call him a liar?

When its COLD, using choke: My 450r starts on the 2nd kick 70% of the time. 25% of the time it starts on the 1st kick. And yes, 5% of the time, very infrequently, it just will not start until 10-20 kicks have been made. I do not know why, but it happens, and I have yet to figure out why, or how to correct the "problem" so it starts in just a couple kicks. Who knows, maybe the kids in my neighborhood hold the throttle open while they play on my R in the garage, as if its a jungle gym. Doing WOT (and releasing) will dump the carb and make it start faster when flooded, this did work for me the one time I tried it.

When its HOT, using hot start: It typically starts on the 1st kick, sometimes second. Unless it gets flooded somehow, it doesnt take more than 1 or 2 kicks when hot. I can kickstart it while seated when its hot.

It seems to start a tad easier after I installed the HRC kit.

And no way is a 450r, or any similar sized 4-stroke, as easy as a Banshee, or any 2-stroke, to kick over.

35charlie
07-16-2004, 06:57 PM
I agree with MIA450R except maybe it's only 5-10 kicks, not 20. I have also had once or twice when I've had to kick a few times when hot. I think it has to do with giving it a half-hearted kick on the first kick.

Anyway, I'm still experimenting with the cold "problem" when it happens but it seems like after a few kicks, blipping the throttle once usually makes it fire the next time. Almost like it the float bowl is low and it isn't getting enough fuel at first and the accelerator pump makes up for it. I usually leave the fuel on when parked for what that's worth.

Otherwise this thing starts great when out riding. I've started it many times while sitting or parked on a sidehill (dune) with the kickstarter on the downhill side. Of course this is all relative as I spent several years on a 350X and those things can be a real pain to restart if you stall when hot. I found holding the throttle wide open and kicking slow a couple times helped then. Obviously don't do that on the 450R. The hot start helps that out anyway.

swampfoxsc
07-16-2004, 07:18 PM
The only issue I've ever had with my 450R not starting is when I oil the air filter and try to start it with the airbox lid on. It will flood every time. Other than that it starts great unless I forget the killswitch!:huh

REDARMYRACER
07-18-2004, 08:49 PM
the thing kicks damn easy just don't give it gass, some other sights maybe this one to had pics of a broke case right at the kick lever and it was cause the guy would give it gas when he started it. i believe he said it back fired hard on him. i've felt the kicker come back on my foot before too usually if i hit the throttle to get her fired up as i'm kicking.

i usaully start her with the most resistance on the kicker(conpression stroke) and she'll fire 1st 2nd time damn near EVERY TIME. I try to kick more forward then directly down.

jus my 2 cents

cmhracing
08-16-2004, 07:12 AM
I got my 450R two weeks ago and have only run it about 5 times so far. I'm wondering if its just a new thing, but when it starts, and it starts easy, its just that sometimes when I pull the clutch in and put it in gear or just when I'm ready to let the clutch out to get it rolling, it stalls. If I'm giving it gas its fine, but its just when its at a idle that it happens. Anyone else have this problem?

sntheticdeluson
08-16-2004, 02:08 PM
yes this happens to me then i relized hey this thing wants to go so i just started grabbing a hand full of throttle and dumping the clutch and to much of my surprise i havent had that problem agian