PDA

View Full Version : ELKA or Axis?

Parrella450
07-13-2004, 01:26 PM
thinking bout gettin a Houser longtravel front end...not sure which shocks to get though...what do you think is better- either Custom Axis Triple rate, dual adjustable with remote rezzies...or Elka quad rate dual adjustable, with remote rezzies? Axis is $1,325 and Elka is $1,370

- let me know what you think would be best for a 450r setup for mx

lol
07-13-2004, 01:39 PM
both are great shocks but i have heard many good things about elka so i say thts what u should go with:)

Tommy 17
07-13-2004, 02:03 PM
elka for customer service reasons...

btw get piggy backs... less of a hassel to deal with...

dawnchris
07-13-2004, 02:11 PM
I've had great customer service from AXIS. In fact, the last time I sent a shock for service, I handed it to the UPS guy on Tues. and AXIS called on Fri. to let me know it was ready to be return shipped. I had it back in my hands on Tues.

cdalejef
07-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Both brands are at the top of the game but if I had to choose I'd say Elka because of attention to detail and better customer service.

07-13-2004, 02:27 PM
I have had elkas and have put many hours in on friends Axis. If set up properly they are both excelent shock and you will not be able to tell much of a difference. I have delt or seen first hand both companies customer service and Elka is superior in that catigory. The one advantage I have seen with Axis is each click of adjustment for compresion adn rebound does more for axis shocks. meaning you can tell more a difference with each click. but if they are set up right you will not need to adjust them that much, and that is where Elka's customer service comes into play!

Sc0
07-13-2004, 02:44 PM
If the Axis are cheaper than Elka, go with Axis.... better materials used to make them. Chromoly shafts and Eibach springs, better surface finish, yadda yadda yadda... no expense spared, etc.

cdalejef
07-13-2004, 02:48 PM
You might wanna check you facts again on the materials.

07-13-2004, 02:49 PM
I am calling you out on the better material thing sco!!!!!!!

07-13-2004, 02:49 PM
OH jeff beat me to it!

roostin_dale
07-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Elka..and thats the bottom line:D :p

Parrella450
07-13-2004, 02:58 PM
alright thanx alot for ur help...i jus wanted to see wat u guys think..all my friends run Elka and they love them...so ill let ya kno how they turn out when i get my front end

daimon1054
07-13-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Sc0
If the Axis are cheaper than Elka, go with Axis.... better materials used to make them. Chromoly shafts and Eibach springs, better surface finish, yadda yadda yadda... no expense spared, etc.

This is what one of the top suspension companies in their FAQ section.

20- Whats the main difference between Works, Axis, and Ohlins shocks?
''''' All three brands provide your quad with much improved suspension action. They are all designed to offer a smooth ride and still resist bottoming out on bigger hits, so with your eyes closed, the difference may be marginal. The brands vary mostly in manufacturing methods, materials, and coatings which can extend the life of the shocks during use.

''''' Axis shocks feature spherical heim bearings in the top and bottom eye holes with stainless steel bushings that will never wear out. The bodies are coated in a special process that alters the surface finish making them virtually scratch-proof. The springs Axis uses are made by Eibach and are recognized as the highest quality springs available in the world. Axis shocks use chromemoly shafts vs. chromed steel shafts. Basically, Custom Axis has spared no expense when they set out to design their shocks.

1badex
07-14-2004, 01:57 PM
i've had no problems with my elkas.they have my vote.:D

465Stroker
07-14-2004, 02:13 PM
I wonders why Yoshimura needed to hire Noleen to figure out how to get Doug Gust shocks to work correctly?:rolleyes:

Kinda like have your works converted to TCS - what are they TCS or works afterwards?

So does Gust ride Elka or Noleen?

Sc0
07-14-2004, 02:21 PM
In Gust's Q&A section on his web-page it has a review of Elka's, they said they were awesome compared to their previous shocks, which isn't named...

I do think that it lists Elkas are Doug's shock on one of his Yoshi Z450's.

daimon1054
07-14-2004, 02:38 PM
I did not say there was anything wrong with the elkas in fact they were not even in the question. But people were saying they questions the statment of axis quality.

In the end all the high end shocks are pretty darn good. Now as to a pro that is being paid to say elkas are best, I bet if jim bob shocks paid him he would say they were much better than his last shocks.

JRDrider22
07-14-2004, 02:51 PM
AXIS

07-14-2004, 09:40 PM
elka

QuadRacer041
07-15-2004, 04:04 AM
ive had both and i like my axis better.

cdalejef
07-15-2004, 06:53 AM
Here are some Elka material facts for ya:

Elka uses a steel body which is stronger than aluminum. Aluminium has a smaller heat tolerance then steel, aluminium resist less to extreme pressure.

Triple threaded seals.

Banjo fittings instead of brass plumber fittings.

The surface of Elka shocks (body and head of the shock) is much better, just take a look at a piggyback shock it's a work of art (stated by many many peoples).

Elka also uses a chromoly shaft which is hard threated.

Spherical bearings at both ends.

Elka developeped high/low speed compression adjuster for the quad (ohlin had it on dirt bike not quads).

Elka developed linkage to correct quad geometry and more wheel travel.

daimon1054
07-15-2004, 09:10 AM
Aluminium disapates heat better so the shock will run cooler. Again it's all what you like, or sell! Unless you are a pro level racer you will never tall the differance in and after market shock if it is set up right. Heck 90% of the quads ridden not don't even have the stock suspension set up right.

Heck most can not even jet the ting much less adjust a shock.

cdalejef
07-15-2004, 09:27 AM
Aluminum only disapates heat better if it has a heat sink fins. I sell both those brands, just stating facts that i've seen.

oldsandman
07-15-2004, 09:46 AM
I have both Elka and Axis. Both are excellent products and both have excellent customer service in my experiance. I have had great service and support from Rick and Heather at Axis, really couldn't ask for better. The elka piggy backs on my R are truly a work of art. But I prefer my Axis their range of adjustment and ride suits me better. Both brands are night and day better than the oem shocks that most of us are replacing. It's really a no lose choice.

Chanman420q
07-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Here are some Elka material facts for ya:

Elka uses a steel body which is stronger than aluminum. Aluminium has a smaller heat tolerance then steel, aluminium resist less to extreme pressure.

Triple threaded seals.

Banjo fittings instead of brass plumber fittings.

The surface of Elka shocks (body and head of the shock) is much better, just take a look at a piggyback shock it's a work of art (stated by many many peoples).

Elka also uses a chromoly shaft which is hard threated.

Spherical bearings at both ends.

Elka developeped high/low speed compression adjuster for the quad (ohlin had it on dirt bike not quads).

Elka developed linkage to correct quad geometry and more wheel travel.

yet they still cant valve shocks :huh

they got good customer service because if they didnt, no one would buy them. i do give them credit for doin such a good job, but there Tech support is working over time because a lot of the shocks arent coming out valved right.

cdalejef
07-15-2004, 12:04 PM
I haven't had any complaints from the ones I've sold. Even the ones I have on my bikes have been spot on for me. I would be willing to bet that some people don't take the time to read the manual and properly adjust them when the get them then blame it on the valving.

QuadRacer041
07-15-2004, 12:23 PM
I haven't had any complaints from the ones I've sold. Even the ones I have on my bikes have been spot on for me. I would be willing to bet that some people don't take the time to read the manual and properly adjust them when the get them then blame it on the valving.

jeff,
i have bought axis and pep's brand new and hardly had to do anything to them,maybe just a little click or two on the comp or rebound but thats it.
granted the elka's i had were used but i sent them to you to get a service and revaled for me and my riding style and i was never happy with them and could never get them the way i wanted.
please dont think im putting the blame on you for working on them but.........i just think my axis and pep's work much much better for me.

roostin_dale
07-15-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
yet they still cant valve shocks :huh

they got good customer service because if they didnt, no one would buy them. i do give them credit for doin such a good job, but there Tech support is working over time because a lot of the shocks arent coming out valved right.

I have orderd 2 sets straight from Elka, they were both spot on just like jeff said. I've had PEP too, they came in valved very nice. TCS wasn't valved very good, once i got them set in they were nice...

daimon1054
07-15-2004, 12:56 PM
Aluminum only disapates heat better if it has a heat sink fins. I sell both those brands, just stating facts that i've seen.

Aluminum has beter energy transfer properties, meaning it is more willing to absorb heat but it also disapates that heat faster. Cooling fins help because they add more surface area, nothing more. Aloy body shocks will run cooler and I have never seen a shock tube on an ATV blow up so the strengh reall is not a question. So weight and cooler running are both Axis +'s, now does that mean it makes them work noticably better? No but it is an advantage.

But if Elka and Axis are the best why do 80% of the pro riders in GNCC and GNC still use PEP? Are they better or are people just use to running them?

Again no quality after market shock built today are bad and none are head and sholders above the rest.

cdalejef
07-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Not sure about GNC but there is only 1 pro using PEPs in GNCCs and he isn't ranked in the top 20. It is about equil between Axis and Elkas in the pro GNCC class.

TC426EX
07-15-2004, 03:57 PM
Not sure about GNC but there is only 1 pro using PEPs in GNCCs and he isn't ranked in the top 20. It is about equil between Axis and Elkas in the pro GNCC class.

Yeah, PEP basically caters to the MX crowd. While I dont doubt that Axis and Elka are great shocks, I will be partial to PEP forever. Everytime I get them back, even from the first day I got them they have been spot on...Despite what people say about their service (and I am not disputing them), I have had nothing but good treatment from them. I just got my shocks completely serviced and revalved for 15 lbs. heavier and for an A rider instead of B, and the turnaround from Baldwin was a week and a day. 80% of the GNC pros still use PEP shocks, and now that they came out with the big rezzie ARC's Im sure its gonna stay that way. As far as GNCC's, I gotta say that I see more Elka than anything, but have also heard many good things about the Axis. I dont want to state an opinion on the 2 because I have never personally owned a set of either, but based on what I see more of, Elka would get my vote.

boogiechile
07-15-2004, 04:25 PM
I would be willing to bet that some people don't take the time to read the manual and properly adjust them when the get them then blame it on the valving.

would someone actually not try to read and set them up? LOL

you have a good point here. no one wants to do anything but bolt them on and ride, then expect miracles but no work to adjust anything

Sc0
07-15-2004, 04:35 PM
It all goes back to buying what you can afford... If you can't buy it, it's not helping you ride any better.

Pep, Axis, Elka, TCS, Ohlins, and some of the odd newer brands like Motowoz and Fabtech, ... are available for a price... Trying to decide which are the best shocks out of those can drive you nuts and empty your bank account in a hurry. The only real way to determine which shocks are better than others is the durability of components and how long you can run it between mandatory services... Now, who can setup a lab and torture test all the above shocks and do a unbiased report? Even then would it be worth the time and money, probably not!

As for what the Pro's use, most if not ALL times they use what is supplied by their sponsors as it's little, if any, money out of the riders pocket. Then again how many of us try to replicate the "pro" quads in our own garage?

roostin_dale
07-15-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
80% of the GNC pros still use PEP shocks

Are you sure about that? The only ones I know of are Farr, Ellis, and creech..and a few of the 10th and behind riders....maybe about 25% - 40% run PEP...

Correct me if im wrong??

Florida400EX
07-15-2004, 11:18 PM
My TCS's are working out great. I think TCS is the best shock valuewise. I think all of the top brands, elka, TCS, PEP, and Custom Axis will all feel just as good as they are setup.

TC426EX
07-15-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
Are you sure about that? The only ones I know of are Farr, Ellis, and creech..and a few of the 10th and behind riders....maybe about 25% - 40% run PEP...

Correct me if im wrong??

Nah, you got all the ones you named plus Luburgh and all the Nacs riders, Everyone on Team Lost Creek Cycles, Kory Ellis, Jasmine Plante, Harold Goodman, A TON of the pro am riders, and so on. PEP is still the most used MX shock by far... PEP stil dominates the GNC's and will for a while...

Dave400ex
07-16-2004, 09:32 AM
I don't think there are that many more PEP's then Elka/Axis anymore. Most of the top guys I saw at Red Bud were on Elka or Axis. Farr, Ellis, Plante, Creech, Walsh, and Goodman were about it. Most of the teams will have different brands depending on what the certain rider likes. Now if you look at all the other classes, you will see about all Elka and Axis because the guys can get them much faster.

Axis400exRider
07-17-2004, 12:34 AM
Here is some stuff about axis shocks..

Damper bodies are machined from a special smooth burnish ID steel tubing which is then treated with a special surface enhancement process that offers excellant wear and corrosion properties

Compression and Rebound adjusters are designed for high speed shaft displacement

Axis shocks use 5/8 diameter shafts that will handle far more damping loads, without fatique, than other shock manufactures

AXIS shocks have won more ATV National Championship events in the last 5 years than any other company

Shock eyelet pivots utilize aircraft quality, teflon lined spherical bearings with stainless steel mounting spacers

No cast or welded parts

Designed with CAD-CAM technology

I think axis has a better shock, you feel more difference when you adjust it, Elka it takes a bunch of clicks before you feel a difference. Thats what i think if anyone agrees or disagrees i'd like to hear about it.

Chanman420q
07-17-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by boogiechile
would someone actually not try to read and set them up? LOL

you have a good point here. no one wants to do anything but bolt them on and ride, then expect miracles but no work to adjust anything

for how much these shocks cost, i want them sent to me on a silver platter:o

Originally posted by roostin_dale

Correct me if im wrong??

i aggree. although last year PEP was on every bike practicly. but lately you see more elkas than anything. I have pep ZPS my self, but have been itching to give elkas a try. I know i was putting elka down on my last post, but i cant argue with the fact that every day elkas are becoming the pros choice. or given to the pros, which ever it is. But they practicly own GNCC racing and there becoming ever so popular with the MX guys now. Go look threw the race section on this site, all the pros quads, u hardly see Pep anymore, NEVER see TCS, good amount run Axis and the rest are elkas.

jensenkg
07-17-2004, 12:51 PM
I've ridden elka and axis setups (long travel on 250r). Both are very nice and I don't think they are much different. Both shocks performed very well. That is until I bought a set of lt axis shocks for my 450r. I bought the arsfx a-arms (designed by axis) and the axis long travel shocks (20.5"). This is by far the best front end I have ever ridden. They are available now for the 450R and have been out for sometime now on the yfz. I suggest you ride someone who has this frontend before buying anything else. I give the upper hand to axis now.

quadmxracer
07-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Hey jensen you and your bro racing at malvern tomorrow (7-24-04)?

jensenkg
07-26-2004, 08:05 AM
No we didn't race at Malvern. I have to work saturdays and it seemed a little too rainy to ride in that slop. I am the promoter for the Pottawattamie county fair race this wednesday 7-28-04. Practice starts at 6. quad mx and also quad and snowmobile dirt drags. Hope to see you there. later, Kyle Jensen

PEPwalshZ440
07-26-2004, 01:31 PM
axis if u feel like waiting...thats the only reason i dont' have it

400ex2072
07-26-2004, 07:53 PM
I run axis LT front and no link rear and love them! Combined with the Pro Trax front end the ride is just amazing. Both are great shocks but I have only used Axis and theyre great so they get my vote.

popo
07-27-2004, 06:41 AM
Custom Axis all the way.

There is a set on Ebay LT 19.

EvilEwok
07-27-2004, 05:39 PM
Are PEP ZPS just not good on the trail's as they are on the track, or what? I would like some opinions from people who have rideen them or own a set. Thank you.

xNOILABOYx
07-28-2004, 07:27 PM
ride an elka on the left and an axis on the right lol j/p axis look 100% better IMO

Ex_Rider43
07-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Plante turned to elka... I was racing at the same CMRC event when he broked his leg. it was pretty scary to see it.. it was also in his hometown.:(