PDA

View Full Version : fellow 250r riders!

stocktires
03-29-2002, 06:45 PM
OK, My R has been running perfect the last 4 or 5 rides. Since My mechanic rewired the ignition and I jetted it. But now when i ride its seems to have no "kick" If I dont have it revved more than half throttle it does pick up fast. Bottom end basically SUCKS! Its loosing all its power! I took it down one main jet size and it didnt do anything. Isnt the main jet for top-end? I almost did an endo on my jump cuz it doesnt have have ANY kick at 1/2 throttle! on 3/4 plus throttle it does, but thats revvin the guts out of it! could i need new rings? I have put many hours and not changed the rings! Plug be fouled? Cant be jetting problems! PLEASE HELP!!!

NJ300ex
03-29-2002, 07:37 PM
its a 2 stroke, its not suppose to have bottom end. You are suppose to rev it.

stocktires
03-29-2002, 07:43 PM
not exactly. I've had my R for a year now! It now has unsually pittyful bottom end! Normally I have to hang onto the bars with a death grip! But Is abnormally slow! And top-end isnt doing much either! My local honda shop isnt knowledgeable about 250r's, they have no idea what compression should be since i have a coolhead. So should I just go ahead and re-place the rings?

NJ300ex
03-29-2002, 07:45 PM
do a compression test before you do anything. ask beerock what your compression should be around. he will know.

stocktires
03-29-2002, 07:47 PM
the honda shop did a compression check about 10 hours of riding time ago, they said it had huge compression (cool head 19cc dome). I think I'll replace the rings anyway, they need to be replaced.

twisted threads
03-30-2002, 12:02 AM
Your problem could be a plug I have seen that before. you mite want to change the pilot jet or move your clip to your needle.
but it never herts to put rings or a new piston in your 2 stroke.

Nj300ex im not going to be mean but if you rode my R you would say,that thing rips from the bottom to the top!!!! It has Awsome bottom end my friend.

:cool:

Tommy 17
03-30-2002, 07:24 AM
i will try this but i am probably wrong here...

1. mayb to much oil on ur airfilter if u just cleaned it
2. water in ur gas
3. could possible have bad spark pull out the plug and check...
4.it could be the rings problem but if u had the compression test and it was high then it ain't the rings...
5. do 250rs have powervalves if so clean that out i remember we had to do it on my friends rm 125 all the time...

stocktires
03-30-2002, 08:14 AM
im thinkin its either 3 or 4. no, no powervalves on stock R's. Nj300ex, yes, R's have strong bottom end, but mine shines on top-end cuz of my pipe (which i dont like). I'll try and get a new plug, but the rings new to be replaced n e way, they've been in there a while! Im gonna clean the filter too. Normaly i just clean off the plug and re-use it (4-5 rides on it now), So It could be a combination of both. When i take my plug out its a little wet fouled, should i go down a main size? I wana run it a little rich. But im down to a freakin 150 main! thats very small!

stocktires
03-30-2002, 06:54 PM
Im thinkin the reason the compression is high is cuz i have a cool head w/ a 19cc powerstar dome. The honda shop and my mechanic test it for good STOCK compression! So therefore it looks like it has AWESOME compression, which it probably really doesnt.

04-02-2002, 12:55 AM
what plug are you running. mid range is a needle adjustment but if it was running good and then it rac like crap after a rewrap then i'd guess electrical. a 150 main isn't too small since a 148 i belive is stock..or it;s some where in the 140"s ..i don't know what mods you have so i can't tell you any jetting tips..but if you want a good pipe the esr trx5 pipe rips. my friends 250r is fast as **** with one.

stocktires
04-02-2002, 07:24 AM
I changed the plug and it help alot! Still, I believe it needs new rings, just doesnt have that kick it once had, ya know. I want an ESR SOOOOOO Bad. But their LOUD! I need something kinda quiet, so Im gonna get the Pault turner (low) with quiet series fat boy. Good exhaust, good power, and pretty quiet.

As for motor mods:
-Cool head (19cc)
-FMF Exhaust
-Boyesen rad valve
-filter

I thought the stock main was in the 150's, like 155. But i do need to fool around with the needle and cilp a little i guess.

04-02-2002, 10:51 AM
the esr pipe and silencer isn't to bad. you could always run the lrd silencer. it has a down pipe to direct the exhaust towards the ground which should keep it from bouncing of everyones house. i had a paul turner race pipe though and it was a good pipe.

stocktires
04-02-2002, 12:01 PM
Yea, PT pipes are pretty good, i know the ESR's are better. But I ride in a sub-division. They dont mind me riding at all, Most actually ride themselves. As long as it doesnt bother them they dont care. The whole neighborhood likes me, but looks at me with a glare when i pass by on my R. I feel bad when I ride. So It needs to be much quieter than my powercore! LRD Is nice, but expensive, and not quiet enough. I tr yan be very respective of others when riding, most of my friends dont do the same. Then i get blamed for it.

04-03-2002, 10:35 AM
my 250r has great bottem end so don't let hose four stroke guys tell you 2 strokes don't have bottem end.

you could try changing the plug, maby take the head off and see what condition your rings are in.

stocktires
04-03-2002, 12:02 PM
Wouldnt I have to get a brand new head gasket then? And how much should i torque it down?

Texan32
04-03-2002, 12:26 PM
You should always replace the head gaskit after its been run on. As for the torque, i'm not really sure what Honda recomeds, but i bet its somewhere around 15-20 ft.lbs. I could be wrong. I've owned 2 strokes in the past and they both were 18 ft.lbs.

For your compression, i would give cool head a call and give them your info (motor, dome size,...) They should be able to telll you exactly what kind of psi you should be getting.

If your running a pipe your gonna need bigger jets. I would go back to your original jetting before it started to ride bad. you DEFINALTELY don't want to run lean.

Also, keep a few plugs on hand. They are too cheap to not replace. Just cuz it looks ok doesn't mean squat. When i rode 2 stroke, i replaced mine every 5 or 6 rides.

Just my thoughts...

04-03-2002, 02:18 PM
Depending on what your port timing is(ported or not) the compression will vary. you may get more intelligent answers at macdizzys forum. (its a 2-srtoke forum no offense to anyone here) www.macdizzy.com

stocktires
04-03-2002, 03:57 PM
I know, I got plugs now. Normally i buy em in bulk. Pick up 3 for $18 at the honda shop!!! Im just gonna wait and get new rings and and gaskets and do a rebuild. Stock porting (for now). I'll give Pro design a call tommorow, i'm perty sure it uses a stock head gasket. I thin i heard 18-20 pounds somewhere on the head. I'll try 18. Im running a little rich right now, plugs have just a lil black on em, gettin a lil wet fouled. Normally change mine every 2-4 rides too.

04-03-2002, 05:23 PM
anyone who says a 2 stroke has killed bottom end dosen't know what there talking about

04-05-2002, 03:06 PM
yeah you woud need a new head gasket and i'll have to get back to you on how much torque

beerock
04-05-2002, 04:43 PM
ahem, the cool head has a oring gasket and does not need to be replaced........

Stop playing with the jetting thats not the problem, youll blow the motor up later on if you keep playing with the jetting.

put your jets back in that you had in it.

you might have a bad cdi

the wet plug could be from not burning the complete fuel charge in the cylinder.

04-05-2002, 05:30 PM
read somewear that some 250rs after an hour or so, it bogs and fouls, heard it was the omh wire, red one i think, in an atv sportor sumthing