PDA

View Full Version : track changes in middle of a lap?

coorsinmyc-bak
07-13-2004, 11:21 AM
isnt it supposed to be that the track officials cant change the track untill the overall leader comes back through.or is it R.P. can just change it when it is easiest for them.i know a few guys had taken a section through the woods,and came back out on the gravel road to see many others flying down the road as the track was routed around the tough section they was running.

cdalejef
07-13-2004, 01:05 PM
I was one of the ones that that happened too. I'm not sure if there is a rule for when they can rerout and when they can't. I was told I was with the front pack in 5th on the second lap next to the gravel road so I don't know if the marshals didn't reconize us when we came up on it or what the story was.

gizmocor
07-13-2004, 03:32 PM
I hate to even get started on this topic, but it definitely got me really upset. I took off in the 4stk A (fourth line that day) and we ran into a bottleneck in that cambered section along the road. Where we were at there was no way to get out so we all just kept struggle forward a little at a time. After losing 5-10 minutes doing this I looked ahead in the bottleneck and found some yellow stickers ahead of us. I believe this is Open B which starts in one of the last few lines. Racer Productions saw that the section of woods was getting impassable once it started backing way back to the road and routed everyone around us. Some of the riders that were routed around us had trouble and created even more problems, so by the time we got free we had no where to go. This was less than 4 miles into the 1st lap. Several of us got lapped in there before ever getting out. I do understand now that I've cooled off from it that they had to do something, but they definitely screwed over a good 50 riders in the first 20 minutes of the race. I don't know what the answer is in that situation, and I'm sure it was a snap decision, but I really thought they would restart the race or something. I didn't really even get stuck or anything, but we had no where to go.

On another topic what is acceptable to cut off the track to avoid a bottleneck? I know there were actually riders that did really well in that race that didn't even make all the check points. I came into one of the ravines on the last lap (my second) and sat there for probably 10 minutes. Finally I saw a line going backwards and took that. It didn't even cross the creek anywhere but it took me to some motorcycle trail and then through a field and finally I found more ATV trail. I saw a course official on the trail as I cut through the field and asked him how to get back to the top of that ravine and he basically told me it didn't matter, the second check point was just ahead. So there I went cutting of a good 2-3 miles of trail. Is that acceptable? I know personally saw some shady looking lines out there that people where taking and I wonder how many of those were taken by guys who did really well. I doubt they even check for the check point scans in a race like that. I don't mean to take anything a way from the guys that did well that day, I just wonder what was acceptable, or not, and what if anything could have been done to make it a better race.

Anyway, I am going to try and let it go at that..........

ChuckSpears825
07-13-2004, 05:22 PM
I was one of the guilty course cutters. It wasn't intential @ all. I followed some quads around a bottleneck and found myself on the bike course. I knew I missed the 2nd checkpoint so I just headed back to the pits. I thought that was the fair and honest thing to do.

BIGBLOCKBILL
07-13-2004, 07:05 PM
I'm not trying to brag,but I made all the checkpoints and still won my class. I even followed most of the original track for fear of being lost(real pucker factor in more than one spot). Some of my friends that raced my class weren't so lucky. I know it was confusing out there but when I was in doubt I just followed the arrows. I'll feel bad for all the guys that got stuck or lost,but that's racing,maybe at it's worst but racing just the same. Everyone says RP could of done something different but I think they did the best they could do in all the confusion.:)

woodsracr940
07-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Bigblock,i,agree,with,ya,comepletely,I,hit,every,c heckpoint,n,also,wonmy,class,i,lso,stayed,on,the,m ain,path,as,often,as,possible,n,i,even,tried,goin, on,the,main,trail,a,lil,ways,before,the,2nd,checkp oint,an,found,jeff,tellin,people,to,go,back,to,the ,top,of,the,hill,where,i,seen,the,other,trail,so,i ,had,to,go,clear,back,up,but,owell,i,still,had,a,b lazt

BIGBLOCKBILL
07-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by woodsracr940
Bigblock,i,agree,with,ya,comepletely,I,hit,every,c heckpoint,n,also,wonmy,class,i,lso,stayed,on,the,m ain,path,as,often,as,possible,n,i,even,tried,goin, on,the,main,trail,a,lil,ways,before,the,2nd,checkp oint,an,found,jeff,tellin,people,to,go,back,to,the ,top,of,the,hill,where,i,seen,the,other,trail,so,i ,had,to,go,clear,back,up,but,owell,i,still,had,a,b lazt

Not trying to be a prick,but try the space bar instead of the comma button:D

popo
07-14-2004, 03:22 PM
I know I am slow, but getting lapped at the 4 mile marker was insane.

Allot of racers got screwed on that race. I would gladly drive another three hours vs the 1 for me to avoid that chit hole.

07-14-2004, 03:37 PM
I got lapped at the 2 mile marker. worked my way out of the woods to the road and got lapped by the same guys at the 4 mile marker on the same lap.

woodsracr940
07-14-2004, 05:55 PM
how's.bout.usin,the,period.button.SORRY.MY.SPACE.B AR.IS.BROKE.AND.I'.TO.CHEAPTO.BUY.A.NEW.BECAUSE.I' D.RATHER.SPEND.IT.ON.MY.QUAD.AN.THEN.JUS.take.the. few.extr.damn.seconds.to.hit..a.diff.button.but.da mnit.this.is.getting.on.my.nerves.already..might.h ve.to.break.down.an.get.a.new.one

woodsracr940
07-14-2004, 06:07 PM
and.why.my.comp.gotta.be.gay.an.make.it.into.1.rea lly
long,line,instead.of.like.everyone.elses

crayfz
07-14-2004, 06:35 PM
I raced vet and must have made it buy the worst bottlenecks, I sat for 5-10 and then kept moving until I got to my pit and put on good rubber, then I was good to go. Never missed a check point. I don't know what else RP could have done, canceled and made Sparta a points race. I had fun after the first lap, never really stopped, I did stop and help out 2 guys that where in a bad predicament, that only took acouple minutes.

BIGBLOCKBILL
07-14-2004, 07:50 PM
how's.bout.usin,the,period.button.SORRY.MY.SPACE.B AR.IS.BROKE.AND.I'.TO.CHEAPTO.BUY.A.NEW.BECAUSE.I' D.RATHER.SPEND.IT.ON.MY.QUAD.AN.THEN.JUS.take.the. few.extr.damn.seconds.to.hit..a.diff.button.but.da mnit.this.is.getting.on.my.nerves.already..might.h ve.to.break.down.an.get.a.new.one

PM me your address and I'll give you a new key board if that will fix the problem.:D

rowlrag
07-14-2004, 08:12 PM
I was led lap 1,2 and leading the third when i got caught in a bottle round the 6 mile marker, sat for atleast 25 minutes which got me lapped. The course was rerouted behind it but I don't know of anyone comung down and saying "GO THIS WAY". Sucks bad, but I'd take a mud fest everyrace:D

Thats a damn good keyboard LMAO

woodsracr940
07-14-2004, 08:29 PM
thanks.for.the.offer...but.i.figure.this.junk.is,. 2.
old.to.even.know.what.kind.of.keyboard.it.is.it.st ill
has,windows95.so.cut.me.some.slack.alright.i'm.wor kin.
on.gettin.a.dell.so.until.then.you.guys.get.2.see. how.
many.periods.I.can.squeeze.into.a.post.:blah: :p :devil:

BIGBLOCKBILL
07-14-2004, 08:40 PM
Now that I know the problem I won't pick on you anymore. I thought you were on of those handicapped typers like I used to be.:D

Meek
07-14-2004, 10:33 PM
and.why.my.comp.gotta.be.gay.an.make.it.into.1.rea lly
long,line,instead.of.like.everyone.elses

ROTFLMFAO

CatMostFeared
07-14-2004, 11:50 PM
I asked the gncc people about those who went of the trail and down the gravel road and he asked me what there #s were.
I said like I can run up to there quads and wipe the mud of and write down there #s.

Its funny Bill Ballance goes of the coarse and follows the rules to get around a bottle neck and he loses 2 mins.

20-30 other riders do the same thing and its OK.It wouldnt be fair to those who did good and won.But its not fair to those who did good and do everything right.Its called racing:macho and XC is all about any conditions anytime.

What I think would be fair is to make Sparta II a points race.

coorsinmyc-bak
07-15-2004, 09:50 AM
well said cat,its supposed to be the best of the best.

79400ex
07-15-2004, 11:56 AM
I wasn't at this race as forhanging the course in middle of lap. The did at St. cairville around last year for safty after I crashed at bottom a down hill with a turn in it. They was afriad that some else was going to land on me while they worked on me.

660bigdaddy
07-15-2004, 01:00 PM
this race was a mess. i was 3rd the first lap and got directed to the gravel road on my second. i went up it a bit. then turned around and cut back into the woods. only to slide down over a bank where about 10 quads where stuck. i followed the other quads down the hill, blazing trail and came out in the field. i did circles there til i figured i needed to go back to hit the second check point. i found the trail, and got stuck in the massive bottleneck up the hill. bill was trapped behind me. i pushed 3 guys up that hill, than did a superman all the way up to make it. i hit the second checkpoint, finished my lap,was in 7th now. then broke a tierod end on the mc course. thank God, cuz i had enough by then. that place just plan sucks. jmo:D

cdalejef
07-15-2004, 01:26 PM
Thats exactly what happened to me Bigdaddy. On lap 2 I was told to go out on the road for about 40' then another marshal directed me back in. I came up on the bad offcamber where there were around 20 quads. About 20 seconds after I got there the coarse marshals opened the road up and let everyone go on up it. I got hung in a vine and was there around 20 minutes. I went from 5th to 12th on that lap. :(

07-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Jeff the 4 in front of you never went on the road at all that lap!

cdalejef
07-15-2004, 03:11 PM
I know, they squeezed through there and I couldn't because I got hung in some vines trying to get around people.

07-15-2004, 03:15 PM
This explains why you lapped me at the 2 mile marker and the 4 mile marker on the same lap!

cdalejef
07-15-2004, 03:20 PM
I didn't see you till that one spot that we talked

07-15-2004, 03:22 PM
I would have been in the part of the woods you did bypass by going on the road the short amount of time you did. I then back tracked and got on the road and took it the whole way getting back infront of you. then you cought back up and passed where we talked! the first 4 passed me while I was sitting by the road. they didn't go on the road at all!!!! by the way Yokely was not one of them????????

cdalejef
07-15-2004, 03:25 PM
Ahhh...I see said the blind man!

BIGBLOCKBILL
07-15-2004, 03:45 PM
Are we talking about Jeff's second lap? If so they(RP) didn't do a full reroute until the third. I was sent across the off-camber for the my first 2 laps ( I did four total). They only directed us up the road for 50 yards or so then back into the woods on the second lap.On the third lap they sent us through the bottom below the off-camber I believe.

cdalejef
07-15-2004, 03:54 PM
Yes, second lap they sent half the pro, all pro-am and most all the A classes on the road to bypass the whole off camber section. By lap 3 they had it all down in the field.

pitbull43910
07-17-2004, 01:40 PM
same chit same track last year in the am I'M NOT GOING BACK!:grr: