PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Auxillary Oil Cooler Installation

HondaOnly
07-13-2004, 08:21 AM
I just got an auxillay oil cooler kit from permacool (same thing as the FST cool kit) for my 440ex. The thing is, i havent a clue how to install it, all i have seen, as far as directions go, is that i have to tap both the clutch and valve covers and then put a ball in place of the oil duct and JB weld it in. I guess that no specific directions is what I get for paying only half of what the Four stroke tech cooler costs, even though they are identical.

Has anyone installed an Aux cooler and is able to provide me with some help and/or pictures of how it is installed on their 400ex before I turn my clutch cover into swiss cheese?

Thanks alot

mxracer111
07-13-2004, 08:30 AM
do you have some info on where you got the cooler?

pics... part numbers ... where to get... etc would help me out... thanks

HondaOnly
07-13-2004, 10:29 AM
Yeah, its a permacool 1008 universal ATV Aux oil cooler kit, also the same as the Four Stroke Tech 400ex Cool Kit. The manufacturer page of the kit i purchased is:

http://www.permacool.com/Catalog/Cat_page15.html

Off-Road.com did a review on The FST oil cooler kit, which the kit i bought is identical, it can be found here:

www.off-road.com/atv/projects/400ex/coolkit

And a previous topic on the Auxillary oil cooler where both the FST and Permacool kit were proven tio be identical can be found at this site here:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61793

Hope these sites help you understand what i am talking about, I have a fairly good idea of where to drill and tap the covers however, i am mostly looking for more info on the routing of the cooler lines and pictures of the final installation.

Thanks alot

HondaOnly
07-13-2004, 04:27 PM
Anyone got any tips/issues/pictures about the installation of the Auxillary oil cooler on a 400ex?

Thanks

400ex_alldayy
04-04-2012, 04:26 PM
i know this thread is old as s**t but does anyone have any ideas about tapping the top part of the cylinder by the oil port? i think it would fill the oil cup better....any thoughts?lol