PDA

View Full Version : swing arm lengthing

trost66
07-12-2004, 10:10 PM
what is the advantage of a longer swing arm

devildriver422
07-12-2004, 10:43 PM
easier holeshots cuz u dont wheelie as easy...more susp. travel... i personally wouldnt spend the money unless you have plenty or if youre really into racing and it really matters...the extra 1-2" of susp. isnt needed you can just get dual or triple rate susp...o and it gives more balance becuz ur quad has a bigger wheelbase... more stability in the air? not sure

hondarider2006
07-13-2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by trost66
what is the advantage of a longer swing arm

To keep the front end down off the line;)

cals400ex
07-13-2004, 09:43 AM
it may be a little harder to get traction though. also, they are nice for climbing hills.

wilkin250r
07-13-2004, 12:40 PM
It depends on how much longer you are talking about. Most experts recommend a +1 1/4 for the 400EX, and it has lots of benifits beyond keeping the front wheels down.

If you are talking about +4 or longer, the ONLY benifit is to keep the front wheels down, and it has lots of negative aspects. You lose traction, turning radius, and cornering ability. Anything longer than +4 should be for drag racing only.

For more information, use the search button, I've posted lots of info on the subject.

markk
07-13-2004, 01:17 PM
I just did a a couple searches on here about extended swingarms! Just a few weeks ago, Im a pretty fat guy, and When i would try to do the holeshoot, I would have a little problem with my front end coming up in 2nd gear, and just a touch with 3rd.

From what i understood an extended swingarm will hel keep your front end down, on the holeshot, and coming outa turns. It also makes your rear end easier to slide around turn. It will help you on uphill climbs, and It gives your a little more suspension travel!

I just bought a Herrmann Racing +1 swingarm, It should aririve tonight, or tommarow. Il tell u how it helped me on monday, I will be racing a local track on suday afternoon, And il tell u how it all works!!!

markk
07-18-2004, 12:14 AM
The new swingarm hasnt showed up yet, and i have to leave for the race at LTM in 8 hours, so i guess il be running my stock swingarm one more race, Il get back to you on how it works!!