View Full Version : quadrajet carbs

crazybuffalo
07-12-2004, 08:58 PM
hey i bought a quadrajet carb to go on the old chevelle so i can wire up my cruise control i bought. the holley just wouldnt work with it so so im stuck using a qj. but anyway it has an extra outlet on the top front and when it starts pumpin it starts shootin gas. i pluged it with a cap and then it came out the top through a tube. i am guessing the float is stuck on this side but i dont really know. any suggestions?

bulkdriverlp
07-12-2004, 09:11 PM
thats what it sounds like, maybe cracked float or dirt in seat. ive always had the best luck with edelbrock carbs. ;) oh well to each is own right? ed

TORO1968
07-12-2004, 09:22 PM
The Quadrajet is by far one of the most misunderstood carburetors out there. When set up properly, they cannot be beat for street applications...i've been building them for about 10 years now (i'm only 23!) and have had great luck with them.

It does sound like your float may be stuck or the float level needs to be adjusted. What I would do is go to your local AC Delco or NAPA parts store and buy a quality rebuild kit and a new float (not included in the kits). They are extremely easy to rebuild if you take your time...only takes me about an hour or so to go through one if the throttle shafts are okay.

Be sure there isn't much play in the throttle shafts, or you'll be fighting vacuum leaks forever. And seeing as the majority of a Quadrajet is controlled by vacuum, leaks are a big deal.

Basically with these carbs, you need a good core to start out with, or you at least need to install bushings in the baseplate for the throttle shafts.

Let me know if you have any questions, and if you could post up a pic indicating where the fuel was coming out of your carb, that help me pinpoint your problem more accurately.

I take Holley and Edelbrock/Carter questions as well! =)

-Jordan

crazybuffalo
07-13-2004, 09:53 PM
thanks for the help guys ill try blowing the float loose with an air hose. if that doesnt work ill try the rebuild.

crazybuffalo
07-13-2004, 10:00 PM
anybody know roughly what size one from a big block cadilac would be. it is stock and has a 425 in it. roughly a 79 or somewhere close. i have another thats a 550 i believe and this one has bigger butterflys and wondered what size it might be:confused: