PDA

View Full Version : Honda WTF!

CdaleXtreme
07-12-2004, 08:31 PM
I am tearing my 450R Apart, doing the normal race conversion, I bet I will be shaving about 15 Lbs of just parts that I dont need, its un real, these things are totally over engineered. Not to mention some of the light weight Racing stuff I will be putting on like Hiper wheels and ITP MXR tires. Id imagine +3 A-arms will be a tad heavier than stock but not by much. I most def want to take mine to a scale and get a ready to ride wet weight when all is said and done. I bet it will smoke the YFZ weight. Once I chop out all the lighting, the Rad. Fan, E-brake, Handlebar Clutter, Un-needed brackets and many more things, this bike is going to be light!

They both Claim 350 LBS on the dry weight so we shall see.

rap169
07-12-2004, 09:26 PM
do you think that it would be benificial to remove the fan. That cant weigh any more than a pound and it helps keep your engine cool. I think id leave that on there if it were me.

Out_Sider
07-12-2004, 09:40 PM
you dont really need the fan in mx

SHOCKER
07-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
you dont really need the fan in mx \

:rolleyes: yeah ya do, i raced this weekend and my fan came on on my Z, during my first moto got back to the pits and my fan was running, geez dude its only a couple pounds, and i think the +3 arms will weigh lighter or equall to the stock a-arms, becasue if im not mistaken the stock a-arms are a mild steel and the +3 arms are chromoly

Hammer trx450r
07-13-2004, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by CdaleXtreme
I am tearing my 450R Apart, doing the normal race conversion, I bet I will be shaving about 15 Lbs of just parts that I dont need, its un real, these things are totally over engineered. Not to mention some of the light weight Racing stuff I will be putting on like Hiper wheels and ITP MXR tires. Id imagine +3 A-arms will be a tad heavier than stock but not by much. I most def want to take mine to a scale and get a ready to ride wet weight when all is said and done. I bet it will smoke the YFZ weight. Once I chop out all the lighting, the Rad. Fan, E-brake, Handlebar Clutter, Un-needed brackets and many more things, this bike is going to be light!

They both Claim 350 LBS on the dry weight so we shall see.

A radiator fan and e-brake is "WAY OVER ENGINEERED"? "wtf"?

lmfao

Hammer trx450r
07-13-2004, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
you dont really need the fan in mx

Maybe race day i might take it off but don't any of you practice? That fan is not going to make or break you but it will break your wallet if your running it hot all the time;)

CdaleXtreme
07-13-2004, 07:21 AM
Look at Tim Farrs quad does he Run a Fan? NO. The fan is there for a reason, But most people dont keep their speeds up quite as high as an MX race. once you are going so fast you will be moving faster than the fan can blow, therefore it is useless and dead weight. The fan is a great addition for a slower speed woods race etc.

The E-brake and ridiculous Clutch perch is a 5 lb piece of junk. They use more brackets and what not to hold that thing in. For all you woods riders you may find all this stuff handy but like I said this bike will be strictly MX.

speedfreaksguy
07-13-2004, 08:58 AM
My 450 has never got hot enough for the fan to come on unless it sits and idles for about 15 minutes. It never runs when the bike is moving because the airflow through the radiator cools it. I am going to take my fan off too.

Hammer trx450r
07-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Look at Tim Farrs quad does he Run a Fan? NO. The fan is there for a reason, But most people dont keep their speeds up quite as high as an MX race. once you are going so fast you will be moving faster than the fan can blow, therefore it is useless and dead weight. The fan is a great addition for a slower speed woods race etc.

The E-brake and ridiculous Clutch perch is a 5 lb piece of junk. They use more brackets and what not to hold that thing in. For all you woods riders you may find all this stuff handy but like I said this bike will be strictly MX.

My Mx track is full of turns so "NO" air isnt going to help much!

Tim Farr does NOT pay for repairs to his motor!!

How much can that fan weight? its not rotating mass.

i was just commenting on the" totally over engineered"

MX race quads are a breed of there own, the masses of quads are not sold to be strickly MX quads so lights and switches go with it. To down Honda for that is just sensless

Insider
07-13-2004, 11:33 AM
yeah swiss cheese the thing

CdaleXtreme
07-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Im not particularly talking about the Fan being over engineered. But things like 4 brackets on the swing arm to hold the brake line and E-brake down. The resonator on the intake boot, All of those special reusable wire bundlers, etc. Not that over engineering is a bad thing, but its like the 250R was back in the day it had bells and whistles that nobody else even thought of. The stuff is there because honda put in the extra effort, instead of cutting corners.

Insider
07-13-2004, 11:39 AM
bells and whistles? as compared to what other quad? the yfz has as many brackets and cable tie's.

bells and whistles should be added preformance not standard assembly parts:macho

WhiteZee
07-13-2004, 03:00 PM
cliff notes : this guy makes no sense at all.

ZRider400
07-13-2004, 04:16 PM
Im not particularly talking about the Fan being over engineered. But things like 4 brackets on the swing arm to hold the brake line and E-brake down. The resonator on the intake boot, All of those special reusable wire bundlers, etc. Not that over engineering is a bad thing, but its like the 250R was back in the day it had bells and whistles that nobody else even thought of. The stuff is there because honda put in the extra effort,
instead of cutting corners.

am i the only one that agrees with u? lmao

i know exactly what your talking about.

right when my 450r was put in the garage for the 1st time i started removing junk that i didnt need.

i removed heelguards/brackets, front light, rear light, parking brake , brake light actuater cable front/rear, handle bar dash/lights . and took off many stock parts and replaced with aftermarket.

didnt remove fan...leaving that there.(still hasnt come on yet though :huh

i really miss how my old 250r was... there was no extra junk on it.... only the stuff "needed".

im sure it decreased atleast 5-7 pounds removing the stuff i did:) every little bit helps when on the track.

EDIT: just weighed a box of stock parts that i removed this is what was in the box:

heel guards/brackets, p-brake /cable, airbox lid, baffle, snorkle , front light, rear light, brake actuater cable front/rear, dash.....

on a scale looks like it weighs about 12 pounds.......hard to weigh but im guessing without the box probably like 10 pounds.

now thats pretty good :eek2:

29FTEX
07-13-2004, 04:32 PM
In the Honda Service Manual, the dry weight is 366lbs and full of fluids is 388lbs. I would tend to believe the manual over sales pitches. The manual gives all the specifics of the machine.

3rdtimescharm
07-13-2004, 05:12 PM
you guys worried about weight, well how much you weigh in at??? why dont you loose some pounds..

what kinda helmet you have??? weight it? for about $500 bucks you can get one of the lightest..

I agree some stuff you dont need when racing but taking the fan off. lol.. leave the fan on and go take a dump before every moto.

ZRider400
07-13-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by 3rdtimescharm
leave the fan on and go take a dump before every moto.

LMFAO:D

TC426EX
07-13-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by 3rdtimescharm
leave the fan on and go take a dump before every moto.

Now THERE's a piece of advice!!!! LOFL!!!!!

CdaleXtreme
07-14-2004, 08:31 AM
At the level I am at, I wouldnt stand a chance if I was overweight. Its the 5 small things you do that adds up to big weight savings. How do you think the pros bikes are so fast. Because they never say it isnt worth it, Every little trick gets done to their bikes. Granted they have more resources than the average joe, but ever pound counts, and so does every 1/10 of a horsepower. You line up on a full gate of A or Pro-am riders at the nationals and you tell me you dont want every advantage you can get. Sorry some of you guys dont understand.

Just thought we could share some ideas of how we made our bikes lighter etc.

How about you take a dump and take your fan off then you will really be flyin :rolleyes:

Pappy
07-14-2004, 08:37 AM
you may infact save 10 pounds if all the stuff you posted is removed, however. if you add back the extra weight the aftermarket a arms, swing arm, chain, nerfs, kill switch, rims, tires, bumpers, grab bars, frame gussets, etc you will still weigh more then a stock quad.

the pro's get it done with skill and a well balanced machine. merely making a quad lighter will not improve your performance on the track. i agree lighter can be better, but a few pounds isnt going to turn you into gust or jones

quadrcr161
07-14-2004, 09:22 AM
i had a friend remove his fan on his sons 450r. he blew his 250r in the 1st moto and rode his sons 450r in the 2nd moto for points. he got the radiator packed with mudd and it tried to over head as he pulled back in to give it to his son for the amature moto. after seeing that i will be leaving mine on.

CdaleXtreme
07-14-2004, 09:28 AM
Pappy if you left all that stuff on you would be 20 Lbs heavier then. So your still ahead of the game I understand that It wont win you a championship. But Dead weight is still dead weight.

quadrcr161: if your radiator is packed with mud your fan will do very little to help keep it cool. Maybe he removed his louvers in front of his radiator.

Hammer trx450r
07-14-2004, 12:03 PM
At the level I am at, I wouldnt stand a chance if I was overweight. Its the 5 small things you do that adds up to big weight savings. How do you think the pros bikes are so fast. Because they never say it isnt worth it, Every little trick gets done to their bikes. Granted they have more resources than the average joe, but ever pound counts, and so does every 1/10 of a horsepower. You line up on a full gate of A or Pro-am riders at the nationals and you tell me you dont want every advantage you can get. Sorry some of you guys dont understand.

Just thought we could share some ideas of how we made our bikes lighter etc.

How about you take a dump and take your fan off then you will really be flyin :rolleyes:

Guys we have a pro-am racer here!! everyone stop and listen because we can't know more than him:D Can i have your autograph? I'm sure you'll have time to give me one when your bike overheats at the race:devil: just kidden:D

Hammer trx450r
07-14-2004, 12:04 PM
Wow I think im starting to bleed RED:blah:

ZRider400
07-14-2004, 03:41 PM
i never worried about the weight too much...or cared.
but its still sweet that i removed almost 10 pounds.

if you wanna see people who worry about weight....the makers of dirtbikes do.

i remember when the 04 CRF450 bike was around 4 pounds lighter than the 03.... everyone was like "omg thats so much better blah blah " and ofcourse they bought it.

every little bit helps:D

SickSixD R
07-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
A radiator fan and e-brake is "WAY OVER ENGINEERED"? "wtf"?

lmfao yah who ever make that corporate decision was crazy!:blah: :eek2:

CdaleXtreme
07-14-2004, 07:38 PM
:rolleyes: