PDA

View Full Version : WORKS tripple rate shock problem...

rr4406pak
07-12-2004, 02:25 PM
I have a set of brand new WORKS tripple rates with no rezzes on my 400EX with stock a-arms and stock motor. I had them set up for 165 pound rider doing mostly hard trail riding.

After taking them out for the first ride they were nice but not the huge difference from stock everyone talks about.

The shocks were SOFT. Making tight turns the bike leans way over. So I took them back to where I bought them (Pro-Action Suspension of NY) to have them re-setup. I got them back and they are much better (stiffer) but they do a strange thing now.

They WHACK when they top out!!! For example: If I grab the front bumper and pull up fast both shocks top out with a WHAM! They did not do this in stock form. You can also feel it when you nail the throttle to wheelie and unload the front suspension the shocks top out with a WHAM! that can be felt through the bike. Feels like metal on metal.

I called Pro-Action about this and he says this is typical with WORKS shocks topping out like this. He says there is no bumper in there to absorb shock from topping out on WORKS shocks. Is this true? He says to give him the shocks back and he'd put bumpers in the to absorb the shock of topping out.

I think this guy at Pro-Action is full of crap (he mostly rebuilds dirt bike front shocks and not ATVs but does have an excellent reputation). But he said he called WORKS to verify this.

I otherwise like the rebuild he did because on large jumps it feels like you are landing on a pillow. Very nice. But this topping out thing has got me puzzled. It is very distracting feeling the front shocks WHACKING (topping out) every time a front wheel leaves the ground. Is this guy full of crap about WORKS shocks or what?

Let me know what you think...
Thanks...

daimon1054
07-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Works performance
Phone (818) 701-1010 Fax (818) 701-9043

tech@worksperformance.com
http://www.worksperformance.com/

I have used works shocks in the past and am running them on my street bike right now, they always answered any questions that I had. Give them a call and get the facts and not what people on a BB think is the truth and you will know the information is right.

Worst come to worse I am sure Works will rebuild them for you at their shop.

cdalejef
07-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Every Works shock that I have rode on did the same thing!

quadkrazy400ex
07-12-2004, 07:13 PM
mine does the same thing, topping out with a thud

i dont think its anything to worry about

Evan400ex
07-13-2004, 12:35 AM
I ride motocross and mine never top out with a thud. I have the same shocks as you, the tripple rates w/o rezzies. Haven't had one single problem out of them.:huh

400-416EX
07-18-2004, 08:23 PM
I have not ridden on mine yet but the guys at the shop I go to said the same thing when I asked them about different shocks. They said I would hear this

jaspurx
07-18-2004, 09:37 PM
The question is , does this have a negative effect on the shocks?

cals400ex
07-19-2004, 01:13 AM
my question is, can you put absorbers in them to prevent this?

Toadz400
07-20-2004, 09:22 PM
Mine have never made that noise...strange...Unless my 400 is too loud to even hear anything coming from my front-end.

07-20-2004, 09:25 PM
mine did that...its normal

quadkrazy400ex
07-20-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Mine have never made that noise...strange...Unless my 400 is too loud to even hear anything coming from my front-end.

all ya got to do is pick up the front end kind of quick

Toadz400
07-20-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by *********400ex
all ya got to do is pick up the front end kind of quick

I've done that many times before and I've never heard that noise??:confused:

Haha...I think my Works are broken because they don't make a loud WHAM sound, lol.

quadkrazy400ex
07-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I've done that many times before and I've never heard that noise??:confused:

Haha...I think my Works are broken because they don't make a loud WHAM sound, lol.

its not that loud, just makes a clunk when it tops out

rr4406pak
07-22-2004, 07:35 AM
My point is that WORKS SHOCKS SHOULD NOT TOP OUT!

If you are spending $300+ on an aftermarket shock it should NOT be built so poorly as to top out everytime you unload the front suspension.

Are the WORKS enginners that stupid?

This is basic suspension tech. Nothing complicated. Are they a bunch of retards over there or what?

I was STUNNED to find this is a common problem with their shocks.

My suspension guy is going to put a small bumper in there to try to correct this pathetic problem.

cdalejef
07-22-2004, 07:39 AM
Just remember that when it comes to suspension, you get what you pay for. ;)

400exracer511
07-22-2004, 03:46 PM
i have works shocks and the left one does that but not the right.... my friend has PEP shocks and his started doing that right after he had them serviced