PDA

View Full Version : Lighten up the load...

Tantal
07-12-2004, 01:28 PM
The type of riding I do with my YFZ: Freeride.

2 possible changes that I have been considering...
1. Removing all of the electric powered components from my YFZ & installing a kick starter; 2. Keeping electric start and just removing the lights (in this case I would NOT be installing a kick starter).

I would like to hear from the other people that have done this and/or people that have too considered doing either of the two listed scenarios.

Also, I plan on removing the useless parking brake, getting lighter weight wheels & tires, race cut fenders, pipe & silencer, etc.;

Splatter Matter
07-12-2004, 05:42 PM
just git rid of the useless stuff.

i went with both kick & elec. kick for back up

lilmxe#43
07-13-2004, 12:52 AM
If you remove all the electrical your stator will go out. Its proven, not sure if they have fixed it but it has been a very common issue. I know alot of people just put kick starter on and leave the battery on and it fixes the problem.

daddio
07-13-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by lilmxe#43
If you remove all the electrical your stator will go out. Its proven, not sure if they have fixed it but it has been a very common issue. I know alot of people just put kick starter on and leave the battery on and it fixes the problem.

I dissagree with this. mabey if you also take the voltage regulator off or disconnect it. we race and ride in the dunes and always unplug the lights and never had a problem on three different bikes.
there is a way to completly remove all the unnecessary wires, but I can't find the post right now. I'll keep looking and post when I find it.

Tantal
07-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Only 3 replies :(

44oEX
07-18-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by daddio
I dissagree with this. mabey if you also take the voltage regulator off or disconnect it. we race and ride in the dunes and always unplug the lights and never had a problem on three different bikes.
there is a way to completly remove all the unnecessary wires, but I can't find the post right now. I'll keep looking and post when I find it.

you can take the lights out no problem. the thing is that if you take out the battery and the lights and some other stuff you can over charge the system. cause the extra power can't go to the batery