PDA

View Full Version : Making Trails?

XCAdam89
07-12-2004, 12:52 PM
I was doing a search but I didnt find what I was looking for, so how do you guys make your trails? I need some help on making some trails through the woods, how do you guys do it?

theTman
07-12-2004, 12:53 PM
just bring a tree branch cutter or w/e and just drive throw the woods... tahst how i make all my trails

Sportrax10
07-12-2004, 01:07 PM
Its always easier if you have a utility quad. Then just ride through the trail you want to make. Cut down the big stuff, move logs, and just tear through it on the sport quads till its all dirt...

XCAdam89
07-12-2004, 01:50 PM
thanks guys, and yes, we got a utility also. any other suggestions?

pead_24
07-12-2004, 09:20 PM
i ride threw the woods once or twice then go back threw and remove all the big logs and other objects in the way then just rip threw it a few times and you have a good trail

Meek
07-13-2004, 02:03 AM
We usually try to cut new trails in the fall/spring. It makes it easy to look for fun sections that you want to run through.

lol
07-13-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by pead_24
i ride threw the woods once or twice then go back threw and remove all the big logs and other objects in the way then just rip threw it a few times and you have a good trail

thts wut i do

mrdude1400
07-13-2004, 08:52 PM
you could always just rent a big bulldozer and destroy everything in ur path to make a trail !!! j/k hey it would be fun though!

450rRIPPER
07-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Chainsaw

diesel-mech
07-13-2004, 11:09 PM
Be careful about cutting down trees in your path, even little ones. you can cut them all the way to the ground but eventually the path well wear down so they will stick out. This is dangerous because it can puncture your tire, cause a wreck, catch your foot,ect.

If you do have to cut a tree out of the way bring a shovel and dig down so you cut it under the ground level. Remeber to plant a tree somewhere else to replace it. This keeps the tree huggers off our *****e$. If its a very small tree dig it out and transplant it. Sell it and make some money for quad mods.:p

By the way I like to bust trails early in the morning (dew) or shortly after a rain. It helps when the ground in moist and soft.

ScrnNmsSUCK
07-15-2004, 12:57 AM
just keep ridin in the same spot

sbemail
07-17-2004, 06:28 PM
I just tell people to try and get through the woods or whatever. If they die i go somewhere else, if not try it and find the best routes. It is a little funner to find your own path. you can also dig large holes and put dirt on one end so you can fly out of them. Cut bushes, bramches, ect. enough tso you won't get clipped if they grow too fast. Or you could light the forest on fire, although I wouldn't reccomend it.

HondaATC500X
07-20-2004, 01:11 PM
When I'm cutting a new trail I usually just bring a sharp machete with me on my 250R. I'll go as far as I can with the R, stop, cut a few hundred feet with the machete, go get the R, bring it to where I stopped, and just keep doing that. That way I know it'll fit through and inbetween every part. Its better to have two people, one person to cut brush and limbs and another person to move them, but its not bad at all with one person.

Another good tool to use is one of those grass slings that has a blade kinda like a saw, those work really good on vines and other little plants that are close to the ground.

rollie
07-24-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Sportrax10
Ijust tear through it on the sport quads till its all dirt...

thats what i do...seems to work pretty good...lol :)

FastestBlaster
09-03-2004, 02:17 PM
just go fast then hit ur brakes and skid and tear up the grass or ride in the same spot over and over again but the first ones funner and easier.lol

Foxrider98
09-08-2004, 07:59 PM
i ususally use a utility qaud and then take my sport up and after u go over all and make sure all the trees are cut low and/or dug out so nothing can punxhture the tire i will tear up and down the trail spinnig the tires as much as possible to break it in and make it visible. if u have the equptment the best way is to drag an grater behind the qaud to bring more dirt up and help with the small tree stumps but i use and old matress that i burnedall the cloth off of with a couple cinderblock and/or a person on it. the seems to work pretty good it grates the trail also

wheeltrax
09-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Farm tractor and a Brush Hog work very well.. or i use a ****ty garden tractor.... Both work for me.

808rider
09-09-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by mrdude1400
you could always just rent a big bulldozer and destroy everything in ur path to make a trail !!! j/k hey it would be fun though!

me and a friend tryed that with a loader......we took out his 68 camaro and an old ford p/u but we got the trail made:)

300ex13
09-12-2004, 09:12 PM
the way i do it is get you and a few buddies 1-3 is good, and start ridin through on the same spot a few times then make sure u have a hatchet or tree saw (something small that u can carry in your pocket) then cut trees u get close too or if they're dead, and just rid the crap out of them for a few weeks then u'll have a few nice trails...thats what worked for me

b400ex
09-16-2004, 08:16 PM
keep riding on the same trail and skid out as much as possible!

roostin_dale
09-16-2004, 08:34 PM
We get all my friends utilitie quads out and just ride the same trail for awhile...just like some other peole said...

gyt-r450
09-28-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Sportrax10
Its always easier if you have a utility quad. Then just ride through the trail you want to make. Cut down the big stuff, move logs, and just tear through it on the sport quads till its all dirt...

what he said

INEEDAEX
10-12-2004, 10:01 PM
What i would do to make a trail is get a bobcat. its a little wider than a quad. Send it through get all the little stuff out of your way and then cut back branches and pull stumps and stuff it missed. It so much easyer and fast than running the trail over and over again.

BrandonBlackmon
10-14-2004, 08:56 AM
Watch for dangerous creatures while your choppin through the thick stuff!

PBlackmon
10-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Chop down the big stuff and watch for spiders!

reconmaster
10-14-2004, 05:53 PM
always ask the land owner if u can use da land bring a few friends with u (especially 1 with a ute), bring a chainsaw, a bush hog, a few shovels, a wagon/trailer, a whipper snipper, and some mixed gas 4 ur machines plus a good ol axe helps

jslayer
10-18-2004, 06:20 PM
bulldozer

Jake250ex
11-11-2004, 11:59 AM
do hellacious burnouts everywhere ;)

bman9
11-12-2004, 07:11 AM
a good bumper, a-arm gaurds and some speed should be what you need

haha

you guys are doing this on private land right? Tree hugers would have our *****'s not riding if not.

Destructo
11-14-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by blaster12408
thanks guys, and yes, we got a utility also. any other suggestions?

Use a chainsaw instead of some wussy cutters, make life easier :D

nwaatvrc
01-12-2005, 01:54 PM
We made some of our trails with machetes and Yard from tree to tree. after you go back and forth several times you have a trail and then take the yard down...Works good for us....And you?????

bansheerider29x
01-13-2005, 05:39 PM
go into the woods hold the front brake and punch te gas. this will make you burn out and make a trail. :p

400exrider36
01-18-2005, 06:40 PM
i plow through everything, then go back with a saw and cut down whats left:D

yz250frider36
01-19-2005, 06:38 PM
I take a weed-wacker type thing with a saw blade put it running wide open and run around hacking trees down then come back later and clean up

400exrider36
01-20-2005, 05:46 PM
yeah i know, your nuts:p

300_ryder
01-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Thats Jake for you just take out a weed wacker and RUN!!!! Just watch out for people lake lil bros. LOL:devil:

yz250frider36
01-27-2005, 06:18 PM
i got mine trained, he knows now to hide whenver he hears a motor:devil:

js3350z
01-29-2005, 09:45 PM
my dog runs like a bat out of hell whenever there is an engine, probably because one blew up while she was laying in the garage :rolleyes:

Punk'd
01-29-2005, 10:33 PM
or you can tape your sister to the front and give it hell!

01-30-2005, 12:30 AM
sorry just feel the need to post into this thread...

Everyone crys about "atv's getting banned in so and so area" or "getting chased by the cops coming off of trails"

Thinka bout this.. USE THE TRAILS THAT ARE ALREADY THERE! thats WHY those peckerheads are always hounding atv riders about being on trails because of actions like what people are describing here... i mean are you guys so immature that you feel the need to totally destroy what little bit of pride most atv riders still have for a "new trail?" please.. im not trying to be a ******* about this whole thing.. but think about what your doing

I bet when things do get really bad, and states start banning the use of ATV'S im almost positive everyone will start pointing fingers and somone else.. and not take the responsibility of your actions..

Shesh wisen up a little bit people..

Jesse

300_ryder
01-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Thats why we do it on our own land or were the cops cant go like on a narow trail.

yz250frider36
01-30-2005, 06:07 PM
i usually just make trails on my land or on land where nobody goes to see them. and if i make one somewhere where is is noticable i make it as unoticable as possible

400exrider36
01-31-2005, 06:34 PM
i go on my land, 80 acres is enough off-trailing space for me...just thought i'd add that:cool:

450ar
02-15-2005, 08:05 PM
I used a couple of old lawn mowers. They can cut most of the crap down pretty fast.

lilwitting
03-11-2005, 03:17 PM
:devil: lol

muddy400EX
03-11-2005, 03:39 PM
just run over the small trees and go around the big ones:D

400exrider36
03-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
just run over the small trees and go around the big ones:D

EXACTLY!

Dave300ex
03-28-2005, 03:55 PM
I get on my kodiak 400 with my mud runners and power brake it all the way threw, works for me =/

McG300ex
04-07-2005, 09:26 PM
THE #1 way to make trails is decide were your goin in and where u wanna come out. then get a 250 ex with a dg front bumper on it and go.

me and mech_head6 on this site had made many a trails with my lil 250

DirtDevilBT
04-11-2005, 10:55 PM
A better question would be "how do you make those mountain trails?"

I don't know how many of you have been to Gorman but damn! There are some one way trails that are on the edge of nothing! How did those get made? lol

450rboy
05-18-2005, 08:03 PM
well i usually use a chain saw and i am by myself usually and i just larned last week never to be a lone when running a chain saw and i wish i would of had chaps on or something. because i had the chain get my leg and i got 12 stitches out of it. and it bleeded for about 10 min and i was just lucky. just make sure someone is always with you becuase it might mean your life. because i know a guy that got killed by one

chevy19
05-19-2005, 06:34 PM
yea just bring a pair of tree clippers and lokk for a good section of woods we just made this radical trial at my friends house its is straight up we only went up in in 4wd for a week and i decided to try it in 2 wd and almost flipped it but then my buddys 400ex and it rips right up

Speedy81304
06-11-2005, 10:41 PM
the why i made my trails was took the john deer with the BrushHog, and just rode with the deck set at 6 inches off the ground, then just rode on my new trail till it was just dirt. then took my buddys bobcat and made some jumps. we also took some time to cut down big trees and place them along the trail so people wouldnt ride off the trail. we made about 15 miles of trails.

chevy19
06-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Thats awesome im gonna come ride over at ur new trails.

Speedy81304
06-26-2005, 10:08 PM
made a new trail, its about 10 miles long and it snakes around the side of the MT, near a rock pit. we couldnt get the tractor up in there so most of it still needs work... wish the john deer could make it up in there... our trail making days are almost over since its hard getting a john deer a cross roads with out the cops asking why we are driving a tractor in woods...

raptor35086
07-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by pead_24

thats wat i do

Travis712
08-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Do you guys make jumps in your trails or what? I would like to start making some trails. Just not enough trails where we ride. Unless you got a big 4x4 with 27''s and a winch.

yamaharaptor350
08-13-2005, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by theTman
just bring a tree branch cutter or w/e and just drive throw the woods... tahst how i make all my trails
thats how i do it also.. i cut the bigger stuff down and just run threw it a few times with my quad and there ya go. After a while it will be a good trail if u ride it enough

Travis712
08-15-2005, 10:57 PM
I still think its easier with an auto clutch quad, like the utilitys.

BAWB
09-06-2005, 12:33 PM
I am in the process of making some new trails. I use a bush hog, chain saw, weed eater with brush blade and pruning shears. Plus a whole lotta cuss words and some good ol manual labor.

Trail blazing isn't a problem for me, my problem is keeping people on the trails they are supposed to be on. Some people don't understand the simple fact... to stay on the beaten trail.

For example I have a spot (about 15 acres) 5 acres woods and 10 acres open field. The trails are cut through the woods and the perimeter of the open field. Well that not good enough kids have to ride THROUGH the open field...Which in turn pisses the land owner off. For good reason the land is in conservation and is monitored periodicly by the government...if the gov. decides the land owner isn't taken care of it the way they see fit, they yank the contract.
The land owner (my grandpa) has never let kids ride until recently when he found out im getting an ATV. So now I take it personally when someone is trying to F*&^% up MY riding spots.

So here is my question:::

Other than blocking the trails leading in, posting signs, talking to the kids directly what else can I possibly do to make sure everyone is doing as they are supposed to.. And to keep MY riding spot open..

Anyone have any signs printed or signs that can be bought somewhere saying Stay on beaten path, wear helmets, we are not liable for any injury.

I hope i am not rambling Im just PI$$3d these kids are giving responsible riders a bad name...

BAWB
09-09-2005, 07:44 AM
wow noone has any ideas... damn guess I better hurry and get my r so I can keep up and keep an eye on them : P

Just hate to lose a good riding spot ....2.... minutes from my driveway because some 14 year old kids get folded under a quad doing jumps with no helmets on.

Travis712
09-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by BAWB
wow noone has any ideas... damn guess I better hurry and get my r so I can keep up and keep an eye on them : P

Just hate to lose a good riding spot ....2.... minutes from my driveway because some 14 year old kids get folded under a quad doing jumps with no helmets on.

Steal qauds

burry the bodies:D

FastestBlaster
09-22-2005, 05:17 PM
haha yeah and get a good shovel:D

TakinItEasy
09-26-2005, 01:45 PM
if u go on a trail that u havent rode in a week or so then make sure whoever yur riding with goes first so he can run into and knock down all the spider webs.:p

Ghost-Rider
10-06-2005, 02:10 PM
well i take my recon es out n just fly around n over lil trees n stuff sum brake torcs n stuff and then if need be i take dads rancher es out n tear it up but usally recon n good body english n that work and shovel for jumps n other stuff n if needed a hacthet works fine but i jsut mvoed n lands all hilly so nice climbs but i rolled 2 times in less than the first week here so uh... yea and hit a dead brach and gashsed my left bicep but the scar looks sweet:D :cool:
and this lady we know who lets us hunt although we got sum land her nephew has a bobcat over there ..man i wish i had it to use cause we got rocky/sandy(mostly sand but gravell pit like mile down road) but i jsut dug a mudpit with a shovel n pick axe man that pick axe works wonders

Travis712
10-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
well i take my recon es out n just fly around n over lil trees n stuff sum brake torcs n stuff and then if need be i take dads rancher es out n tear it up but usally recon n good body english n that work and shovel for jumps n other stuff n if needed a hacthet works fine but i jsut mvoed n lands all hilly so nice climbs but i rolled 2 times in less than the first week here so uh... yea and hit a dead brach and gashsed my left bicep but the scar looks sweet:D :cool:
and this lady we know who lets us hunt although we got sum land her nephew has a bobcat over there ..man i wish i had it to use cause we got rocky/sandy(mostly sand but gravell pit like mile down road) but i jsut dug a mudpit with a shovel n pick axe man that pick axe works wonders

Worst.post.ever.

Seriously, no puncuation, no uppercase letters through the hole thing, half of the words are spelt wrong, atleast type something worth reading.

Scro
10-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Travis712
Worst.post.ever.

Seriously, no puncuation, no uppercase letters through the hole thing, half of the words are spelt wrong, atleast type something worth reading.

x2