PDA

View Full Version : stock axle to lsr axle

insaneracin2003
07-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Im changing out my stock axle to put on a LSR axle,What should I look out for? like checking bearings and stuff.... what are some of the basic problems that i should look out for?? thanks peeples.Paul

TC426EX
07-12-2004, 01:05 PM
If your axle doesnt have play in it now back and forth and spins freely your bearings are fine. Thats all you need to know. Just slide the old axle out and slide the new axle in, its that simple. You WILL want to invest the money in a new locknut assembly since the stock one sucks and gets chewed up after you take it off once. Have fun loosening that thing... Its a simple upgrade and youll love the LS axle, I love mine!!

insaneracin2003
07-12-2004, 01:09 PM
thanks a bunch.i hear alot of good things about LS,seems like i have made a good choice.

wilkin250r
07-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Ditto on what he said. The bearings can be a pain to replace, you almost need to remove the entire bearing carrier. If you don't want to bother with that, just pull the old axle out, slide the new one in, and get an aftermarket locknut, because you will never get the stock ones to stay put.

Florida400EX
07-12-2004, 02:55 PM
I have an RPM axle, and my stock locknut is holding up just fine after a few hours of HARD riding (mx)... But the berings are definetly a good thing to change if they are bad.

insaneracin2003
07-12-2004, 03:28 PM
any of you guys have one for sale (lock-nut) them things are pretty expensive

1badex
07-12-2004, 04:01 PM
they pretty much summed it up, its simple but have fun trying to get a wrench big enough to bust that bolt loose.bye the way i have had no problems with my lsr axle and love it.you made a good choice.

TC426EX
07-12-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by insaneracin2003
any of you guys have one for sale (lock-nut) them things are pretty expensive

The RAD racing pinchbolt locknut is only like 45 bucks. Money well spent and I think everyone will agree with that. If you have been looking at anti-fade locknuts, those run upwards of $250-300. You just need a regular pinchbolt locknut. Durablue, Lonestar, RAD, all make them and Im sure there are others as well. You wont regret it...

hondarider2006
07-13-2004, 12:36 AM
get the RAD locknut. 1000 times easier to get on and off than the stock one. When taking off your stock lock nut, get a large cresent, or pipe wrench and push down on it, and at the same time have someone on the machine and start it and put it in 1st gear(have the quad on a stand of some sort) and have him start spinning the tires. Not the SAFEST way, but just take it easy and be carfeul. If you want to sit there for 20 minutes and wrench on that damn lock-nut, than have fun, if not than that is an easier way. Also if your bearings have never been replaced, I reccomend doing so.
Once you have your new bearings, throw them in the freezer, and pre-heat your oven to 245. Go and take the carrier out, and than stick it in the oven for a good 10 minutes or so. Get some welding gloves, or somthing like such, and grab the carrier, throw it in a vice and put the bearings in. Little taps with a hammer and they will slide right in. Don't forget to put the center piece back in before installing the 2nd bearing;)

Good luck with the new axle!!!

insaneracin2003
07-13-2004, 08:37 AM
Where can i get one,does C&D carry them???any other stores carry them i cant seem to find them anywhere???
thanks again guys

redroost85
07-13-2004, 09:25 AM
Yeah man, definitely go with the RAD lock-nut. I got mine from C&D for like $45 shipped. Didn't cost me an arm and a leg and it is way better than the stock nut.

Hit up Colby or Dusty and they will most certainly hook you up.:cool:

promisc
07-13-2004, 09:41 AM
And dont forget, the threads are inverted! To screw, its counter-clockwise. Also, if your bearings are not bashed and in good shape, clean the carrier and put bearing grease alot! (green grease). This will make your bearings last longer.

insaneracin2003
07-13-2004, 02:53 PM
woooohooooooo!!!! Got my axle in today (thanks steveatv3) and i just ordered my RAD lock-nut from C&D,i should have it in by friday..then the fun begins:blah: .thanks guys for your help,ill hopefully have my axle in by sunday,ill let ya know how it turns out...laterzzzzzzzzz