PDA

View Full Version : front sand tires stuck on hub! help!!

PismoGuy400
07-11-2004, 08:19 PM
HELP.. i went for a day trip to pismo last week and im getting around to putting my dirt tires on, and ive never used these sant tires before so when i put them on it took a little wiggling to get them on the studs, anyway..

i go to take the back tires off today.. pretty tough but i just kicked them pretty hard from the inside (oh oh well small dents cant hurt anything) and they eventually came off.. front ones are a different story i tried the same strategy.. ive even said screw the wheel and smacked them with a mallet numerous times.. what do i do!?. i cant be to rough i dont want to screw up the steering stem or tie rods or something.. please help

and in case you didnt rigure out that this problem is from the holes on the wheels being to small.

again please help, this is very frusterating

stonerider250x
07-11-2004, 09:53 PM
what type of wheels are they?.....most after market wheels u cant use a tepper'd lug nut because the holes on the wheel arent slanted for then. if u used taper lug nuts on them u may have smashed the aluminum and they are prolly stuck on for good.

sparkplug300ex
08-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by stonerider250x
what type of wheels are they?.....most after market wheels u cant use a tepper'd lug nut because the holes on the wheel arent slanted for then. if u used taper lug nuts on them u may have smashed the aluminum and they are prolly stuck on for good.

that happened to me i use tapered lugs on douglas rims but for me to get them off i hit them with a sledge hammer, came right off

PismoGuy400
08-08-2004, 04:01 PM
that was a while ago but i smacked the studs out w/ a punch to break their seal and they slid off w/ little effort

JRDrider22
08-08-2004, 08:25 PM
same thing that happened to my rear. i took off my hub and got a wide piece of wood and put it in the rim and got a hammer and smacked it outta there and i sprayed wd40 in there

Chanman420q
08-08-2004, 09:16 PM
this happend with 1 of my rear tires, douglas .190s with the stock lug nuts. that wheel would not budge, eventually took the whole hub off and beat the SOB out. havent had to take the fronts off yet..... hope it isnt the same

PismoGuy400
08-09-2004, 12:03 AM
after hitting the studs i about smacked myself in the head for not trying it about an hour and a half earlier.. it took about 1 mintue per wheel...

easy fix for a frustrating problem... the studs will pop out if you hit em hard enough, just make sure not to hit the threads

PhilMoore
08-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Just take the lug nuts off and ride around until they work loose.

Sorry, couldn't resist..:devil:

plkmonster2
08-09-2004, 11:44 PM
LOL!!! Yeah... just take the nuts off, and start hitting the big triples!:blah: haha. For future reference, When I run my sand tires I turn my nuts around, flat side against the wheel. Just don't wrench on it, or it will smash the aluminum.

LazeR
08-10-2004, 12:17 AM
When i run sand tires....i flip the lug nuts so the flat side is toward the wheel, plus i put a washer on first! Never have had any problems! and i always torque them to the specified torque of 47 ft/lbs

PhilMoore
08-10-2004, 07:34 AM
Ya, definately need a flat washer between the nut and rim. All mine are done that way. Otherwise, when you torque the lug nut, it rips up the aluminum.