PDA

View Full Version : Relocating Rear shock mount

ill_lil_romey
07-11-2004, 07:38 PM
Im relocating the rear shock mount 2 inches higher. My question is should I order a new LT rear shock, or can I get away with a Millinium rebuild?

Dave400ex
07-11-2004, 08:13 PM
If you move the upper shock mount, you are going to need a longer shock.

daimon1054
07-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Unless he wants to lower the rear?

If you move it try to get it more vertical, this should let the shock work better. I think a rebuild will be fine if you know what you want. I would try it first and then decide what you need changed.

ill_lil_romey
07-11-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by daimon1054
Unless he wants to lower the rear?

If you move it try to get it more vertical, this should let the shock work better. I think a rebuild will be fine if you know what you want. I would try it first and then decide what you need changed.

Exactly. I though the whole purpose of moving the shock mount was to get it more vertical, therefore allowing the frame to sit lower in the shocks travel, resulting in full use of the available travel in the shock. So, I should be able to use the stock shock just revalve and whatnot. Is that accurate>?

modracer5
07-12-2004, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by ill_lil_romey
Exactly. I though the whole purpose of moving the shock mount was to get it more vertical, therefore allowing the frame to sit lower in the shocks travel, resulting in full use of the available travel in the shock. So, I should be able to use the stock shock just revalve and whatnot. Is that accurate>?

NO. The reason people move the rear shock mount is to fit a longer shock in the rear. You will not use any more of the shocks travel by moving the mount. If you are not using all the travel now you are not riding hard enough. If you want your bike lower in the rear there is three ways to corectly accomplish it; smaller rear tires, rear lowering strut, have your rear shock zps converted.

boogiechile
07-12-2004, 07:07 AM
If you raise your shock mount and still use the same length shock then the shock will not bottom out before the frame digs hard into the ground. The compressed length of the shock needs to be adjusted so that when it is completely bottomed out your frame is about 1.5 inches off the ground. If you move any shock mounts than this has to accounted for with a different length shock.

Greene Streak Racing projects (http://www.picturetrail.com/mojaveaddict)

daimon1054
07-12-2004, 10:22 AM
Bottomed my frame is more than 2" off the ground so no you will not drag frame. I do not know if you will get the results you want but one of the problems with the 400ex is the position of the shock make the suspension act like a pogo stick, by getting the shock more vertical the lever arm that is excerted by the likage is changed so the force will change. Now will it be enough to make the shock work?? I do not know. Again if you have the means what I would do is try it with the stock shock and see if you notice a differance. If not then everything is working the same so the mod was not worth it and you will not spend money trying to chase this fix, if it is better than try adjusting the shock and see what makes it better. Then call your shock shop and tell them what you did and what settings you changed to get it felling better. They can then revalve it and spring it if needed to get it right. Now the stock shock valving is not very effective so the valving will need to be close where as a good aftermarket shock will have much better adjusting capabilities and will also allow you to adjust high and low speed valving.

Now as to smaller tires to lower the rear, that is a dumb idea if you do not run MX. Yes it will lower the CG but it will put the sprocket and brake very close to the ground, again if you run MX that is great but if you ride woods you will spend all your time hung up in ruts, esp around the spillway where it can get rutted up quickly.

Back to frame drag, my face quads always drug the frame right about the sametime the suspension was bottomed, that was part of the longer travel, small tires and ZPS shocks but it is not a good idea, so the post advising that you check it is right on. What you need to do is use straps and suck the rear down till the shock is bottomed out, then measure the clearance between the frame and ground . Take into account tire size, are the tires on the quad the smallest size you will run. Now you know if you will drag frame with your mod.