PDA

View Full Version : bad foot..need new style shifter

01lakota
07-11-2004, 07:24 PM
My aunt has a 2000 or a 2001 honda 300 fourtraxx.... the 2x4 utility quad.

here is the deal. she has a bad right foot and cannot use the shifter. anyone know of any products that can help her with this problem.

I think I remember seeing a lever that attached to the shifter so you could change gears with your hand. and I know some motorcycles have a shifter that you can hit with the heal of your foot to downshift. could one of those shifters be made or bought to fit.

any help would be great.

thanks
-Jim

07-11-2004, 07:28 PM
try weldin a lever on ther or sumthin u can pull up and push down

LTandRaptorider
07-11-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by 01lakota

here is the deal. she has a bad right foot and cannot use the shifter. anyone know of any products that can help her with this problem.

I think I remember seeing a lever that attached to the shifter so you could change gears with your hand. and I know some motorcycles have a shifter that you can hit with the heal of your foot to downshift. could one of those shifters be made or bought to fit.

any help would be great.

thanks
-Jim

I'm thinking James Lucky- www.jlatv-products.com
and Dennis Kirk- www.denniskirk.com sells the hand lever that connects to the shifter.

hondarider2006
07-11-2004, 07:53 PM

any help would be great.

thanks
-Jim

sell it, and get a rancher with electric shift;)

Chanman420q
07-11-2004, 08:16 PM
isnt the shifter on the left side:huh

chucked
07-11-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
isnt the shifter on the left side:huh

thats wut i was thinking

01lakota
07-11-2004, 08:27 PM
opps, your right it would be on the left side. I dont know what I was thinking.

lol
07-11-2004, 09:31 PM
opps, your right it would be on the left side. I dont know what I was thinking.

i saw one on jc whitney and even northern power equipment...it seems like it would be a pain though reaching ur hand over every few seconds

01lakota
07-11-2004, 09:50 PM
it would be a pain to reach for the shift lever/bar but for her it would not be a problem. she has been using it for yard work and if she did ever take it on a trail it would be on private property and the trails there are just to a deer stand and back. anything that will replace having to use your foot.

I was thinking of having a second shifter welded to the orginal one so she could press that down with her heal to upshift, and then use her toes to downshift. she cant upshift with her bad toe/foot

Smokin 440
07-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Yeah they make the hand ones or rig up a heel/toe one with a linkage of some sort...

EDIT: or your idea might be easier

Mxjunkie
07-11-2004, 10:01 PM
what about a jockey shift like they do on most choppers, you could rig it up in no time, then she could shift with her hand instead of her foot

Chef
07-11-2004, 10:19 PM
Just rig up a rocker shifter like on some cruiser street bikes. All you would have to do is order another factory shifter for it, cut the splined part off of that, and then split it up the middle a bit so the bolt on that old one could still pinch it onto the shift shaft, and then weld them together....if that was confusing i could come up with a picture for ya.

toomeyshee87
07-11-2004, 11:51 PM
some artic cat quads have the heal/toe type shifter, its alot better then using your hand

Bubba
07-12-2004, 10:33 AM
my dad has the hand shifter on his 300 utility. Its not a pain at all. Everytime i ride it i use the hand shifter tp up shift but i down shift with my foot. Why would it be a pain? its not like there is a clutch.