PDA

View Full Version : What shocks are you running?

daimon1054
07-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Well I had to quit racing due to a neck injury and surgery and am just no able to start riding again. So on the cheap I want to upgrade the suspension on a stock 400ex for little money.

What I am thinking is going to YZF450 shocks,yes I know they are not really quality stuff but they are pretty good. Mt though is that with them as stiff as they are on the YFZ they should be great for me as I am 260lb and the 400EX is 50 or so pounds more than the 450 so they should smooth out some. The 450R shocks I think are going to be way to soft although both units shocks will fit.

2nd I was thinking about having the stock rear re-valved and going to a set of works or such, lower end fronts. Even the lower end stuff should be better than the stock 450's but that will all depend on price.

So for fast woods riding I was just wondering what everyone else was using, where they bought it or who they recomend. My race quad was running PEP ZPS tripple rate units but I sold that and just don't ride enough to justify spending that kind of money.

toomeyshee87
07-11-2004, 08:36 PM
i got full PEP ZPS on mine....aint it smooth???:macho
it sucks you had the accident man, and that you sold your race quad

TC426EX
07-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Like my sig says, its PEP Limited MASS front and rear for me, and dont think Ill ever use anything else. I prefer them over the ZPS since I use preloading alot over jumps with my riding style and never got used to riding a ZPS setup. I know its different since almost all my buddies have ZPS, and you have to totally ride their bikes different than mine. Just my opinion. A set of new front Limited Mass shocks, and a rear rebuild to LM specs will cost around 11-1200 total. Dont know if thats in your budget but figured Id let ya know...

Florida400EX
07-11-2004, 08:47 PM
I run TCS zero preload shocks up front, and a stock rear for now. It rides pretty smooth (faster you go the smoother they are), and they DON'T bottom. I've had them take some pretty hard hits already, and no bottoming at all. I think if you are looking for a nice soft ride, you can get some TCS shocks valved that way. Any aftermarket shock will be good for just trailriding and such though...

daimon1054
07-11-2004, 09:14 PM
I was figuring on trying to keep under a grand. I don't think you can beat PEP ZPS units but as said I just don't need that. I am not even worried about rez shocks because I don't plan on riding hard enough to over heat them. I am just looking to smooth things out and loose the fricken rebound in the back.

I have seen YFZ shocks for like 350 and I figured on just having them rebuilt down the road as they are rebuildable. Yeah I know they are not the greates things going but they are cheap and better than what I have. I don't want to go ZPS again because I am riding in a lot of ruts and want to keep the clearance.

The cheapest I found was from works, for 399 for trip rate fronts and 575 for rears but I think reworking the rear will be equal to these???
Again if I rode all the time I would just have the race shop build me a set but it's just not worth it to me right now.:huh

Florida400EX
07-11-2004, 09:21 PM
If it's the rebound in the back, it's adjustable. You can make the rebound as slow as you want. Just look for a screw, on the shock, near the swingarm. It is NOT located on the rezzy.

JRDrider22
07-12-2004, 08:46 AM
i have axis and i love them to death. theyre amazing. i never tried pep's or tcs

daimon1054
07-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
If it's the rebound in the back, it's adjustable. You can make the rebound as slow as you want. Just look for a screw, on the shock, near the swingarm. It is NOT located on the rezzy.

No the linkage and spring seam to overpower the shock and no adjusting works.

07-12-2004, 10:10 AM
I run stock shocks on my YFZ with DeRisi Racing's millinium revalve kit in them. I am happy but since you are looking for an ex that doesn't help much though. I don't know how well YFZ front shock work on a 400 but you should be able to get them for about $250. send then to DeRisi he could set them up to work a little better for you for $500 to $600 range. DeRisi rear 400ex millinium kit is great too I think it goes for around $250 with the spring! Just some thoughts.

daimon1054
07-12-2004, 10:30 AM
Thanks that's what I was looking for, the YFZ shocks will fit and offer adjustment so I was hoping to get them on then later have them rebuilt when I know what changes I want, heck I might be able to get away with just trip, rate springs and then get out cheap. I have a few racer friends around here that would hook me up with a set for cheap.

redroost85
07-12-2004, 01:00 PM
I run Works tripples w/cans and a PEP revalved stock rear.

Both were gotten cheaply, but have worked just fine for me and I run mx too.:)

warrior369
07-13-2004, 10:04 PM
i have works dual rate with rezzis on the front and stock on the back for now, or untill i hit the lottery.

XCAdam89
07-13-2004, 10:27 PM
For the 05' GNCC season, I will most likely be running an elka rear shock, and works 3x rate with cans up front.