PDA

View Full Version : FCR trouble again

quadmx7
07-11-2004, 12:41 PM
lat night i had my first race since i got my 426 motor, 39fcr carb, and sparks pipe. i ran 2 classes quad money and quad open. got second in both motos in the money class and in the first open i got 3rd. for the second open moto i was running 2nd when i came out of a corner to double a step-up triple when my throttle stuck wide open forcing me to jump past the double part and case the triple landing sending me off the track wide open for the water trucks. i avoided them and was able to get my quad shut down. started it back up and it was still stuck wide open but the thumb thorotle was still at idle position. what coused it to stick open all of the sudden? could it be some sand or dirt got it in?

cals400ex
07-11-2004, 01:10 PM
i would try spraying the heck out of the slides inside the carb. also, clean the linkages on the side of the carb that move.

quadmx7
07-11-2004, 01:30 PM
what should i spray them with?

muff
07-11-2004, 04:40 PM
take off the two top screws and plate, the slide will be in there, spray it out with carb cleaner. this is better done when the carb is off the bike so you can wipe all of the mess away. then spray both sides of the slide out good as well.

a little wd40 down the cable doesnt hurt either ;)

quadmx7
07-11-2004, 04:49 PM
aight thanks. what are the chances of this happening again? it defiantly wasnt fun and cost me 2nd place.

muff
07-11-2004, 05:25 PM
make sure there arent any tears in your airfilter and keep your intake boots on tight and clean. cleaning the carb only takes a little bit and its well worth it (obviously). i spray the linkage with wd40 or carb cleaner, helps make the throttle easier to push and it'll snap back a little better too

cals400ex
07-11-2004, 05:36 PM
yeah, carb cleaner would be good. i would make sure your air filter is oiled properly too. the dust can pass thru the filter easier when the proper amount of oil isn't used. make sure the throttle cable doesn't stick at all either.

quadmx7
07-11-2004, 09:44 PM
aight i appriciate the help guys.

dork
07-17-2004, 11:30 PM
take off the cover on top of the carb and check the slide adjustment lock screw and adjuster. if they back out, then they can get stuck against the back of the carb body.