PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Dunes

03-29-2002, 09:29 AM
Would one of you northwesterners break it down for me.

I have been told that (from Washington) the farther you go into Oregon the better the dunes.
For example;
Sand Lake: The closest but not the best of Oregon.
Coos Bay: A little farther but better than Sand Lake.
Florence: Better than the above and again farther.
Winchester: The best, but a bit of a drive.

My fuggin' point;
I have pretty much ruled out Winchester for my 1st Oregon trip and was planning on Sand Lake (closest).
Do I need to drive a little farther; is Coos or Florence that much of a difference?
Thanks for you time!
__________________________________________________ __
Mapquest says,
Sand Lake (Oregon City) 5hrs. 5min.> 262.60 miles
Coos Bay 7hrs. 15min.>372.82 miles
Florence 5hrs. 55min.>325.34 miles
Winchester 5hrs. 35min.>326.38 miles

Looks like Coos is the big drive....

twisted threads
03-29-2002, 02:02 PM
Crashmaster to me it is a toss up between Coos Bay and Winchester Bay. Florence and Sandlakes are fun dunes also. And it is true if you ask me the farther you go the better thay are.
From South to North it goes
1.Coos Bay
2.Winchester Bay
3.Florence
4.Sandlakes

Yes The dunes in Coos Bay, Winchester Bay and Florence are different than Sandlakes. My first dune trip was to sandlakes and I had a BLAST! So any way you go I think you will have fun.

What kind of bike Do you Have??

03-29-2002, 02:30 PM
:D
Warrior

JOEX
03-29-2002, 09:45 PM
Sandlake IS small compared to the others but good for a day (or two) trip, just to get that dune fix:)

Winchester and Coos Bay really aren't much farther away than Florence if you think about it. I've been to Florence once for 4-5 days last summer and had a blast. We're planning a trip again this summer and hopefully we'll make it to Winchester and/or Coos Bay too:cool:

Joe

Chef
03-29-2002, 10:14 PM
I think winchester has the best ridin if you have the horsepower to do the big stuff.. It is the only one with the 300-400 foot tree shots, and some HUGE dunes. Coosbay is the more family oriented place i think, except for on holidays, i heard some guy got stabbed on halloween there...? Florence has alot of the really nice bikes, trucks, and the hottest women usually.