PDA

View Full Version : 400ex, how to start in gear?

nikejoe
07-10-2004, 10:10 PM
My 400ex had an after market clutch perch on it when I purchased it. I want to be able to start it while it's in gear. I know that I need to wire the two wires that went to the clutch together, but where do these wires come from. Mine must be cut back it the harness. I need to know what 2 to wire together. Please help! :confused:

Toadz400
07-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Um can't you already start in gear??:confused:

Just pull in the clutch and push the button!

nikejoe
07-10-2004, 10:53 PM
NO! That would be the reason for the post. Mine WILL NOT START in gear. It has to be in nuetral to even turn over, but I know there are 2 wires that I need to wire together and then it should start in any gear. I just don't know where the wires go back too. I am guessing that the previous owner cut them at the wiring harness, but I don't know where to look! Any other ideas?:confused:

Jingle 11
07-10-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by nikejoe
NO! That would be the reason for the post. Mine WILL NOT START in gear. It has to be in nuetral to even turn over, but I know there are 2 wires that I need to wire together and then it should start in any gear. I just don't know where the wires go back too. I am guessing that the previous owner cut them at the wiring harness, but I don't know where to look! Any other ideas?:confused:

LMAO i believe they are green and black i did it to my bike but im not too sure where they come out but i think they were coming out of the control crap with all of the light switchs on it and stuff.

Toadz400
07-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by nikejoe

Oh ok, my bad. I didn't know that the previous owner cut the wires...I just thought you didn't think they would start in gear...n/m.

quadkrazy400ex
07-11-2004, 05:39 PM
I know exactly what your talking about, i just bought an e-z clutch pull lever and was experiencing the same problems. It sucks having to go to nuetral to start it because the neutral safety switch is not connected, thus not letting you start it in gear, even when the clutch is pulled in.

After riding for a day i was tired of it, so i took the 2 wires that were connected to the stock perch, and cut off the ends, stripped both of the wires, and soldered them together, then i used heat shrink to insure that it would be water proof. Now i can start it in gear.

One bad thing about doing this is that you can start it when its not in nuetral, and with the clutch out. if you push the button to start it and you dont have the clutch pulled in or it in nuetral, it puts alot of strain on the starter motor and will cause premature wear on it.

so if you do this make sure its in nuetral or you have the clutch pulled in to start it

the wires to splice together are the green one and the yellow one with a green stripe

Hope this helps

400rednEX
07-13-2004, 06:59 AM
you don't need to splice the wires together, when i put my raptor shorty lever on mine i just unplugged the wires and it starts in gear.

Toadz400
07-13-2004, 10:10 AM
I was out riding my 400EX in the yard yesterday and after I stopped for awhile to talk to a friend of mine, when I went to start it back up it didn't even attempt. The battery is good, the neutral light is on nice and bright but it just won't start. The starter doesn't even turn over. Could what you guys are talking about be the problem?

quadkrazy400ex
07-13-2004, 03:27 PM
well on a 400ex, you cannot start it in gear with the clutch pulled in with an aftermarket clutch lever, simply because the neutral safety switch doesnt recognize that the clutch is pulled in so you have to be in neutral to start it, unless you put the wires together like i said before.

mustang
07-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by 400rednEX
you don't need to splice the wires together, when i put my raptor shorty lever on mine i just unplugged the wires and it starts in gear. :huh

Toadz400
07-13-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by *********400ex
well on a 400ex, you cannot start it in gear with the clutch pulled in with an aftermarket clutch lever, simply because the neutral safety switch doesnt recognize that the clutch is pulled in so you have to be in neutral to start it, unless you put the wires together like i said before.

Uh, does a PEP clutch lever and perch count as aftermarket? So why can I start in gear?...

Where are these wires located? Mine stopped starting...like at all, even in neutral but I can still push start it...the starter doesn't even make a noise, it happened out of nowhere:confused: .

promisc
07-14-2004, 07:10 AM
The wire is located on the left side of the motor, right under the shifter. There is a 2 pin connector. Short those together.

ReconRider25
07-14-2004, 07:20 AM
the starter doesn't even make a noise, it happened out of nowhere

check the solenoid or fuses.

Toadz400
07-14-2004, 09:28 AM
I'll check out my fuses later, it's a good thing I got my Banshee back together because I planned on riding today. When I go out to ride the 'Shee, I'll check to see if any wires are out of place...kinda sucks that it'd just go out of nowhere.

Pungohboy
07-14-2004, 11:37 AM
Just a thought for anyone that still has stock and is going to replace the lever. My EX when I got it had the little switch hanging to the bars because the guy took the whole switch out of the clutch assembly so it starts in gear no problem. This way you dont have to splice wires if you dont want. I just tucked it under my plastic for safe keeping.

quadkrazy400ex
07-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
[B]Uh, does a PEP clutch lever and perch count as aftermarket? So why can I start in gear?...

Where are these wires located?

the wires im talking about are the ones that are connected to the stock perch, there should be 2 wires, on a 400ex, they are the green one and the yellow one with a green stripe. they run from your clutch perch to your nuetral safety switch, if those wires arent messed with and just left hang, separate, then you wont be able to start it in gear, even with the clutch pulled in