PDA

View Full Version : Chain help

250xridamatt
07-10-2004, 07:08 PM
I just got back from the indoor motocross track, and i realized that my chain has a lot of slack. I ride a 250x if that has anything to do with it, and the swingarm and carrier are stock. How do i adjust the chain, and how loose should it be? Do those three bolts have to do anything with it? Thanks

400exdad
07-10-2004, 07:18 PM
You should have 2 allen head bolts on the rear of the swingarm. Loosen them up and the whole bearing carrier (thingy inside the rear of the swing arm :) ) will rotate back and forth. It is cam shaped so it will loosen and tighten the chain as is spins... See the notches to the left of the swingarm in the carrier. They are for tools, liek the allen wrench, to rotate the carrier with. Adjust the carrier with the wheels on the ground or the back of the swingarm on a crate, to make it easier to get to, and adjust it until you get 1.5" or so of slack in the chain. You can check it by putting it in gear turning the wheel until the bottom of the chain is tight. Now, midways between the front and rear sprocket, push the chain down, set your ruler there and then raise the chain up in the same spot. Adjust it until its 1.5" or so. The book says 1-5/8". Piece of cake. If you can't get it to adjust, you either have worn sprockets and a worn out chain. If you have to replace the chain don't make the mistake of buying a non o-ring chain. They stretch like crazy and won't last any time. Good Luck!

250xridamatt
07-10-2004, 07:27 PM
Thanks a lot, im gonna go check it out.

daredevilearth
12-12-2005, 07:50 PM
My bearing carrier doesnt turn. Got any suggestions or tricks to break it loose? Thanks for any input.

250xridamatt
12-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Wow, old thread... You probably should have started a new one haha. I cant really help you with this though.

CDCHONDAS
12-12-2005, 09:17 PM
take the allen head bolts completely out and pry the flanges apart slightly and soak it good with penetrating oil for a day or two, also take out the bolt going straight in from the back in the center that way you can rotate the carrier the whole way around to work it free, you may have to upgrade to a spanner wrench or if thats unavailable a pipe wrench, just be careful not to break the tabs on the carrier.