PDA

View Full Version : Broke bolt while changing oil...Need help!

03-29-2002, 08:59 AM
I was changing my oil as I always do, and went to torque the bolts on the oil filter and the right bolt broke. I was torquing it per specs (7 ft. lbs). Broke low (deep inside) too. Now what? Can I still ride it? After putting in the oil I let it run for a bit and no oil came out of the hole. It secured quite well using just the left bolt (the shorter one). Any particular type of screw extractor? I'm supposed to go on a spirited ride tommorrow, and this is a real pain. I bet there's only 1/8"-1/4" in the bottom....how do I get the remaining part of the bolt out?

Thanks, Drew.

03-29-2002, 10:41 AM
I don't know if this will work, but I think I saw a Sears commercial for a tool that removes screws with stripped out heads. I would think Sears would have a tool that can go in and remove the remaining part of the bolt. Me personnaly, I would take it to an auto mechanic and see if they have a tool to get it out..... I'm sure they have something!!

I would take the time today and try to fix it. If you start riding and it leaks, what will you do then?

Good luck!

Adam496
03-29-2002, 04:10 PM
if the bolt isnt alumium u can try a magnet and twist it out it probly wont work but it is worth a shot

SUPERFLY 400
03-29-2002, 07:24 PM
I'm a mechanic, and i deal with this kind of stuff all the time. I don't know how far inside you broke it offYour best bet is to use a small drill bit (1/8") and drill down the CENTER of the bolt and drill STRAIGHT. Dont drill to deep. Then go up to a bigger drill bit that your Easy-out will slide into the hole. Tap your Easy-out in with a hammer (not to hard) and turn. Once your broken bolt is out, run a tap with the correct thread size down the hole to clean and repair any damaged threads.
FYI: I turn wrenches for a living and I only torque critical items like head bolts, rods, etc... (I know every bolt and nut has a torgue rating). I personnally just tighten them by hand till snug, also buy some anti-seize and put on the bolt threads for easier removal for next time. 7FT LBS is to much for those cheap ***** low grade bolts. ;)

03-29-2002, 07:44 PM
Super Fly..pardon the ignorance, but what's an easy out? So it'll slide into the hole of the bold that I drilled into? And reverse direction drill it out? Thanks!

Leo
03-30-2002, 08:49 AM
if you broke the bolt putting it in, it should come out quite easily...

before you drill, go to some local parts stores, or track down your local snap-on dealer and get a left hand twist drill bit (backwards)..

you drill with the motor in reverse, 99% of the time in situations like yours the bit will 'catch' in the bolt and spin it right out..

like superfly said, make 100% sure you are drilling straight..

if your not comfortable doing it, call around to the local machine shops, they would probably do it for cheap...

Leo

Blaster250x
03-30-2002, 09:00 AM
EZ-OUT never works! I know about 5 people who have used that,and it never works. They read the directions and did everything right,and it didn't help,in some cases made the situation worse. If you want an EASY way to get it out,do this. If the broken peice of the bolt is not too deep into the thread hole,and you can reach it with a dremel bit,take the dremel tool and carve in a straight line across the top of the head of the stud to resemble a flat-head screw. Then take some Liquid Wrench or WD-40 and sqirt some in the hole and let it penetrate for a while. Then just screw it out! If it is in too far and you cant reach it,stick a screw driver into the hole and beat into the stud with a hammer to make the flat-head screw-like indent and unscrew it.

killerkx327
03-30-2002, 06:50 PM
blaster that is not a good idea,especially since the bolt is probably broken off in the aluminum.so if you start to beat on the piece left in there chances are good that you push it into the aluminum further and strip the aluminum and take any chance of getting it out.
superfly's idea is best.and sometimes you can get lucky when you arte drilling into the bolt you can get the bit jammed into the bolt and then reverse the drill and it will walk right out on it's own.i to turn wrenches for a liing and i have come across many different situations,and each one usually takes a different method of getting it out.

tprender
04-02-2002, 03:03 PM
From what he has said, he needs to take it to some place and have it fixed. He does not have the tools and the cost of the tools is about what it would cost to have the bolt removed correctly. And if he got the tools could he use them and not mess it up more?

cdalejef
04-02-2002, 03:50 PM
Leo is right, a left handed drill bit will be your best bet at getting it out. For a temporary fix you can use a short bolt, say 1/2" long and one size larger. Use a tap to cut the larger threads. That will hold the cap on tight till you can get the broken piece out.

nakomis0
04-02-2002, 04:32 PM
I used the Craftsman Easy Out before, and I gotta say it worked terrible for me. This was on an automobile application but....

The easy out snaped on me. So Now I have this hardened material easy out stuck in the bolt I was trying to get out.
So I go through **** trying to redrill the this bolt w/ the hardened easy out in it. Takes me forever but i get it.... So I use my next size easy out that just barely fits.. AND IT BREAKS!

I gave up, I was lucky this was something I could just drill and tap a new hole for right next to the old one, cause thats what I did, It didn't look very good. but I learned I guess.

VegasEx'r
04-03-2002, 12:41 PM
The exact thing happened to me a couple of months ago. This bolt is in a deep hole that is created by the right-side engine cover. I tried an easy out, but it wasn't long enough to reach the bolt. I ended up having to take off the right side cover, and then I was able to unscrew it with my fingers. It really sucks to have to take off the cover, but once I did, getting out the bolt was easy. Now whenever I do an oil change, I always use lots of anti-seize lube on those 2 bolts.

04-03-2002, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the replies.....I don't have the tools...but I can buy them.
Vegas Ex'r.....what can I expect to encounter taking of the right side case cover? Clutch? Whilw I'm at it, are there any maintencance/performace things I should do while I'm in there? Thank, Drew.

honda400exrider
04-04-2002, 05:19 PM
honda can do it 4 over a 100 big ones:p

VegasEx'r
04-04-2002, 09:44 PM
pay real close attention to how the clutch looks as you take it off. There is a spring in there, and it popped off when I removed the cover. It took me a minute to figute out how it was supposed to go on. When you go to put the cover back on, you have to push the clutch thing on the cover (I don't know the exact name of the part, but it is the part that the clutch cable attaches to)forward, and as you slide it into place, it will naturally push back. There we go, clear as mud now, right? I have a manual, and found that the pictures in it helped out quite a bit.

400exRacerX
04-05-2002, 01:32 PM
OK, this happened to me last summer. I had the same exact problem. You can try a magnet or what not but the bolt is not bottomed. It snapped because of the pressure from the spring pushing the oil filter cover up against the bolt. I tryed everything to get it out including left hand drill bits, but since the bolt was loose in the hole the bit wouldn't catch the bolt. What I ended up having to do was take the hole side case off and unscrew the bolt by hand and scrape the old gasket and install a new one. Its a simple percedure and will take about an hour. Just next time tighten it until its snug, thats the only bolt I dont torque. It frightens me everytime I change the oil when I retighten that bolt. I actually replace that bolt every couple months since I change my oil so often and its worth the 3 bucks!

Good luck, Norm

400exRacerX
04-05-2002, 01:38 PM
Heres a pic of the piece that broke off inside the casing, I cant find the bolt. I think I lost it...hehe

SUPERFLY 400
04-05-2002, 07:25 PM
I dont know what school you went too. But I can assure you that the pressure from the spring on the oil filter did NOT brake his bolt. Plain and simple the bolts was overtightened. You dont even have to replace the bolts as 400exracer said. Just buy some anti-seize, then you save the rest for other use. As for using the magnet to remove the broken bolt inside that little hole...thats pertty dam funny!

400exRacerX
04-05-2002, 08:45 PM
Hey man,

You got a serious problem........people like you make this board a shame. All you could have done was state your opinion,,,not flame on me. I was simply explaining what I did, I'm sorry that I'm not a "certified mechanic" like you buddy.

Norm

Deathbringer
04-06-2002, 10:43 AM
I agree!!!400exRacerX..at least become a regular for awhile before flaming someone.. :D
What brand of anti-seize do you guys use??
Also, do you think just snugin it up is better then actually getting the torque wrench out?? I have a torque wrench and have followed their recommendations for torque, but now you got me thinkng maybe just a good snug fit is better.

SUPERFLY 400
04-06-2002, 02:59 PM
Sorry if hurt your feelings:D . I dont bring shame to this board, its the people who thnk they know what they're talking about. But they are totally clueless. Those are the people I bust on. Besides this is the first time. Not bad for a first time:D . So are we cool 400exracer?

I use Permatex anti-seize. But thats because we use that at our shop. Any brand of anti-seize is better then no anti-seize. Use it and save your self the headache later on...

Deathbringer
04-06-2002, 03:13 PM
Cool..thanks

bigbadbrad
04-06-2002, 04:54 PM
what color of anti seize? red green 0r blue? thanxs

RideRed400StYlE
04-10-2002, 06:53 PM
I dont know what everyones problem with easy outs are? If you go to PEP-Boys, they have pretty strong ones for like $2. its cheap and I never had a problem. You just need to take your time. Drill out the hole as straight as possible. and put the easy out in. then tap it in with a hammer untill it is stuck in the hole you drilled.. then grab a small wrench that will fit the square end of it and trun te screw out. its not a harc concept. Its just oyou need to take your time and not just strip out the hole. if i comes loose dont give up just tap it in a little more

gojk
04-10-2002, 10:28 PM
I just had this happen to me and the only way I can get it out is to take the side case off. Is there any maintenance type stuff to do since the case is off. I prob won't get it back on till like tomorrow night at the latest. I have to get a gasket. This sucks. Did you guys get a new OEM bolt or did you go buy one that fits that is a little stronger.