PDA

View Full Version : How old is too old to start racing???

TN94z
07-10-2004, 06:26 PM
I am 26 and have been riding 4 wheelers off and on for 15+ years. I really like riding MX tracks and would like to start racing. I currently am without a 4 wheeler again but will be getting a yzf450 pretty soon. I have about 40 acres that I was thinking of building a track on. I have access to dozers, bakhoes, and plenty of dirt so that would be no problem. I have also talked with a track designer that said he would come down and lay out a track at no charge....I will end up building the track no matter what, but I was just curious how it would work out with me being 26 and I would assume being classified as a beginner...would I be considered "an old man" out there or what? Also where can I get some info on getting into racing and finding out the closest places to race. Thanks in advance.

WOracing
07-10-2004, 06:36 PM
never is too old, as long as you can throw a leg over a quad and ride it your good:D my dad is learning to race by the help of hi son.....me;)

TN94z
07-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Cool...I raced a cr125 two years ago and ended up selling it and haven't had anything else since. As much as I loved the bike, I rode a trx450r last weekend and realized how much I missed the quads...so I have talked myself into getting a yzf450 and would like to start racing again.

400exdad
07-10-2004, 07:07 PM
I started light racing when I was 34 or so. You are as young as you feel if you ask me, but remember, use your head! At 37, I fractured my tibia at the knee joint. It will never be right again, but thats the way it is when you live. :D At 26, you are still just a baby! :D :D

SSRedRider
07-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Your as old as you feel. I started racing quads at the good age of 47. Started out with motocross, then went to cross country, GNCC. Life is good.

redrider69
07-10-2004, 08:06 PM
yea neaver is what i think but were you at in tn im a lil west of nastyville

TN94z
07-10-2004, 08:42 PM
were you at in tn im a lil west of nastyville

I am about 15 minutes south of Jackson. I am about 2 hours west of Nashville. I currently have a camaro that I am about tired of dumping money into(drag racing, the money will only get deeper), so I figured I would go back to something with cheaper parts. I was gonna start racing my 400ex that I had about 3 years ago, but sold it and got into sprint car racing instead...big mistake because now noone races around here anymore and I am stuck with the car...but that is the way things go I guess..anyway, I really miss riding the 4 wheeler, so I am heading in that direction again. Do you race in TN? If so, where?

Hozed
07-10-2004, 08:57 PM
they are right... you never too old man. a guy a know just started racing last sunday... he is 38 or something... he had a blast.

bansheerider_13
07-10-2004, 10:23 PM
never to old to start in my book

Bill Fuller
07-10-2004, 10:47 PM
Hey man you are never to old to start racing.I started racing XC at 26 myself.I currently race The Mid South Harescramble Series(WWW.MSWS.Org) As far as MX racing there are many tracks around.You should come to Lorretta's next month and check out the action.:muscle: :macho

redrider69
07-10-2004, 11:03 PM
yea im goin next month down there i think my gf might be racing down there next month whats the date fuller ????might c ya down there

Bill Fuller
07-10-2004, 11:11 PM
I don't have a calender in front of me but I think it's the 14,15,16 or whatever is close(Fri,Sat,Sun).Look forward to going every year.Tell your girlfriend to bring her bikini for the creek:D :blah: J/K

redrider69
07-10-2004, 11:18 PM
ight lol well thats what she usually rides in under her ger so it will be handy

ILGNCC400EX
07-10-2004, 11:22 PM
well i started at 50:eek2:

Braff1
07-11-2004, 12:13 AM
I was 37 when I started racing XC. Makes me fill good when I pass them younges on the track.

turnandburn
07-11-2004, 12:36 AM
started racing mx last year at age 26.no big deal most of the racers are younger but hey your just wiser and older so no biggie. Just takes a little longer to heal up.:D go for it you wont regret it i havent!!

LTandRaptorider
07-11-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by ILGNCC400EX

:eek2: :eek2:

muff
07-11-2004, 04:42 AM
heck look at gust, hes what 37 and just won the gnc title with 2 races left :cool:

but nah you'll be fine out there, just watch out cause some novice kids are just crazy :eek:

Pappy
07-11-2004, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by muff
heck look at gust, hes what 37 and just won the gnc title with 2 races left :cool:

but nah you'll be fine out there, just watch out cause some novice kids are just crazy :eek:

amen to that!

just have fun. dont expect to win every race and be prepared. the amount of fast riders isnt in short supply but in the "age" classes most of the guys are super nice and they understand how it is to step back into the sport. good luck and keep us posted on how you do!

400exdad
07-11-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Braff1
I was 37 when I started racing XC. Makes me fill good when I pass them younges on the track.

I hear you Braff1! :devil: Its the wiser part that gets you by'em. While they tend to be braver on the throttle, they tend to make mistakes that cost them time... Then you just "cruise" on by! :D

Braff1
07-11-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by 400exdad
I hear you Braff1! :devil: Its the wiser part that gets you by'em. While they tend to be braver on the throttle, they tend to make mistakes that cost them time... Then you just "cruise" on by! :D

While they are flying around bouncing off the trees I just cruising along. The only problem I have noticed is that I don't heal as fast as them.

Woodsrider
07-11-2004, 09:18 AM
I dont think you,re ever too old to start racing. Im 36, and I did find out last weekend that Im too old to wreck any more though:o I agree youre as old as you feel, since my tumble last weekend Im feeling pretty old. But its not gonna slow me down any, just make me wear more gear;)

Mxjunkie
07-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by ILGNCC400EX

my dad did too, he was 52 he had a blast but his back was bothering him because he had broken it hillclimbing, i dont think it was healed all the way and he was being an idiot and racing anyway, you never to old, i herd they have senior class's now

TN94z
07-11-2004, 10:17 AM
The Mid South Harescramble Series(WWW.MSWS.Org)

That looks pretty cool. I have never been in a XC race or watched one, what all is involved in them? Is there a sight where I could see pics of the tracks? That looks like something I would be very interested in. Is it alot different than MX racing?

FTR250Rnif
07-11-2004, 11:39 AM
im only 17 and I hopoe to start soon..i want to sell my bike and get a quad too

Bill Fuller
07-11-2004, 11:44 AM
As different to MX as night is to day.XC racing(harescrambles) are tracks that are laid out through the woods,you name it you will encounter it.Stumps,logs,creeks,off camber,hill climbs and occasionally a MX track mixed in,did I forget Mud?Track very in length but generally the races last from 1 1/2 hrs. to 2 hrs.8 to 12 mile laps depending on terrain you do anywhere from 3 to 5 laps.There is usually a class for everyone.MSWS is smaller than the GNCC series but it is every bit as well organized.Attendance is usually 100 or so riders.As far as pics of the tracks tracks change from year to year and the only way to see what your getting into is to walk it prior to the event.Winter Series usually starts in October and last till April or so.

Ryan
07-11-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by TN94z
How old is too old to start racing???

Theres no such thing. ;)

Admin
07-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by TN94z
I am 26 and have been riding 4 wheelers off and on for 15+ years. I really like riding MX tracks and would like to start racing. I currently am without a 4 wheeler again but will be getting a yzf450 pretty soon. I have about 40 acres that I was thinking of building a track on. I have access to dozers, bakhoes, and plenty of dirt so that would be no problem. I have also talked with a track designer that said he would come down and lay out a track at no charge....I will end up building the track no matter what, but I was just curious how it would work out with me being 26 and I would assume being classified as a beginner...would I be considered "an old man" out there or what? Also where can I get some info on getting into racing and finding out the closest places to race. Thanks in advance.

I didn't start racing till I was 26, so I don't think it is too old at all.

Ryan
07-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin
I didn't start racing till I was 26, so I don't think it is too old at all.

And your fast as he11 :eek:

Admin
07-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
And your fast as he11 :eek:

lol, Not this weekend:(

Ryan
07-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin
lol, Not this weekend:(

You did alright.... Can't be on top all the time... Some people wish they were as fast as you! :o :macho

WOracing
07-11-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
my dad did too, he was 52 he had a blast but his back was bothering him because he had broken it hillclimbing, i dont think it was healed all the way and he was being an idiot and racing anyway, you never to old, i herd they have senior class's now

thats cool because i saw an 80yr old guy....yes 80 dragging an lt500 at a drag strip:eek: :eek2:

TN94z
07-11-2004, 04:14 PM
Well, I am looking to get one of the new 450s...in a beginner class, would a stock bike be competitive or should I look for an all out XC ready bike? What are the rules on what you "have to have" on the bike, like kill switch, etc...? What I am thinking right now is, get the bike, get back into riding like I used to which will get me back in shape and then maybe start racing next summer. What kind of setup should I be looking to get for a XC bike? When does the summer series start? Sorry for all of the questions but want to make sure I know what I need before I ge the bike.

Bill Fuller
07-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Either on of the 450's is a good choice for XC although I prefer the YFZ for the electric start.As far as set up for racing XC I think the only requirement is a kill switch.I would suggest nerfs,skids,hand gaurds,and a steering dampener to begin.Spend your money on suspension before engine mods(you can only go as fast as you can hang on).The summer series has already started,if you mean next year than usually around June.I would also suggest all the riding gear you can afford.My most prized possesion in the heat is my Camel Back.

TN94z
07-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Is this the type of racing that I can do by myself? I mean I was reading the GNCC stuff and saw where they were making pit stops...I don't have anyone that would go with me...as far as MX I know that I could do that myself...

Bill Fuller
07-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Racing GNCC a pit stop is only needed for gas because the race is generally 2 plus hrs. or so and gas milage becomes an issue.As far as MSWS I have never had to pit for gas.I occasionally race the GNCC series and I purchased an oversized tank to take care of the gas milage issue.I never pit unless I have a flat and then unless I'm racing for points it's time to grab a beer and watch the action:D

Lil - Braff
07-11-2004, 05:52 PM
If you are just starting you should be able to get through a race on one tank of gas. My predator can go 3-4 laps before having to fuel up, depending on the track.

Rrider4life8
07-11-2004, 06:39 PM
a 50 year old whooped me tail last week, im 16
:mad: :grr: :eek2: