PDA

View Full Version : gecko's

OregonEXrider
07-10-2004, 02:08 PM
Awhile back I posted about my sand gecko's. I said that I had never seen a climb where the type of paddle made the difference in a hill climb. Well last week I finally did. My friend has a 400ex with similar mods to mine, same gearing etc. We are both the same weight as well. Anyway I went down this steep sand dune and there was only a small turn around surrounded by water. My friend with 8 paddle hauler extreme's came right up the hill. I went down and tried it about 6 times and had a hell of a time getting it out of there. At any rate the most interesting part of it all was watching his paddles and my paddles his basically propelled him up the hill without alot of wheel spin. Mine just dug and spun nearly the hole way up. I guess the difference was his paddles made it way easier.

IMO the geckos work great for just general sand use tree shoots etc. But if your going to be doing hill climbs with not alot of room for runs and stuff go with something else. After watching the two tires work I am convinced those little paddles on the side of the tire dont do jack crap.

tator
07-13-2004, 12:33 PM
MY brother has the same problem with his gecko's.( trench diggers)

Dextreme
07-13-2004, 04:41 PM
Yep...more and more Gecko owners are realizing the same thing. There is a night and day performance difference between Geckos and Extreme's.

kamikaze_rzrbak
07-14-2004, 01:08 AM
i use normal paddles and i dont seem to have any problems playin around or going straight

Dextreme
07-14-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by kamikaze_rzrbak
i use normal paddles and i dont seem to have any problems playin around or going straight

What do you mean by "normal paddles"? What brand are they?

Manny55
07-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Geckos cannot compared to extremes, Geckos are in its own class of SUCK!

kamikaze_rzrbak
07-14-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Dextreme
What do you mean by "normal paddles"? What brand are they?
haulers

HondaMan222
07-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Manny55
Geckos are in its own class of SUCK!

theres no better way to say that. there was a guy at whinchester, he had his suckoes:p turned backwards, he said it worked alot better, beacuse something about you got to clean the thred and not have all the sand built up in the cup. he was a werid old farmer guy...

267ex
08-05-2004, 09:40 PM
i have a set of gheckos on my 250, there alright for just cruzing around but long up hills suck. I did pretty good at dumont the i kept up w/ every1 going up hill i jus had to hall @ss to get to the top. imo - to heavy & not really good if i want to havr fun in the sang. im getting sand stars next.

267ex
08-05-2004, 09:40 PM
i have a set of gheckos on my 250, there alright for just cruzing around but long up hills suck. I did pretty good at dumont the i kept up w/ every1 going up hill i jus had to hall @ss to get to the top. imo - to heavy & not really good if i want to havr fun in the sand. im getting sand stars next.

267ex
08-05-2004, 09:43 PM
oh yeah another thing, last time at dumont it rain'd like half a day, it wasnt muddy just nice & packed. thats about the only time i didnt have to try going up the dunes. wet sand = lots of fun. sry bout the dbl post

PismoGuy400
08-12-2004, 12:18 AM
ive never had a problerm w/ my geckos.. i guess its cause i go to pismo, where you can climb anything and everthing w/ stock tires.

oh well..they satisfy my needs and thats all that matters.

its like people saying "that quad sucks"..everyones got their opinions

kssandduner
08-12-2004, 04:28 PM
ive never had a problerm w/ my geckos.. i guess its cause i go to pismo, where you can climb anything and everthing w/ stock tires.
I agree...I've been running my geckos for about two years now, and have never had a problem. If I made it to the dunes more than two or three times a year I would by haulers, but for the money.....they work great. I was surprised to see in dirtwheels that sand stars on eights only way like a half a pound less than geckos on tens. If anyone wants to trade a set of geckos for haulers...let me know! :D

Joe

bansheeke
08-16-2004, 07:39 PM
its all about what/how you ride. If you want to be at the top of the hill first, dont' bother with geckos. Its obvious that most of the skat track tires are top notch and are pretty much the best tires out there. But you definitely pay for them. Sandstars, also a good tire. I had both on the 400..made a big difference in my opinion over the geckos. just my opinion though.

Geckos are a budget oriented tire. If you want a tire that is reasonable and you aren't worried about gettin there first, then IMO the gecko is a good tire.

whitebrothers
08-17-2004, 10:26 PM
Sup guys its almost my favorite time of the year! Glamis on Halloween!

What you guys also need to think about is what size motor you have and how you ride like if you are a drag racer, you want less paddles for speed but less paddles also means you need a little more to get up hills. more paddles say an 8 sand shark is perfect in my opinion it is good all around just a little slower
now if you get more paddles than that you better have a big bike and like to work out when riding!