PDA

View Full Version : Front brakes

TheMachine
07-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Is it better to use your front brakes around corners than your back? Ive heard this and last night i got 2nd to a guy who corners really good and we were talking about it and he said he used his fronts. I know its a stupid question because alot of people use their fronts but does anyone like using back better? If fronts are better will someone explain why?

XCAdam89
07-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Front help slide the back end around, and rears slide the whole quad I think?

crazyaboutlsu
07-11-2004, 05:59 PM
Yes, it is better to use your front brakes. All of your stopping power is in your front brakes. The rear is used to set you up for a turn or if you learn to "drag" (not locking the brakes up) them, they can help slow you down a bit. By using your fronts, you can go into a turn hard and under power, Therefore, carrying your momentum.

One of the best ways to practice cornering and using your front brakes is get out in your yard/field (wherever you have room), and find a tree. Practice your starts and run towards the tree, make the u-turn around the tree and come back and do it again. Each time try to count 1000-1, 1000-2, and so on when you want to brake. try to go as long as you can before braking (if you over run the tree, keep trying till you can make the turn). This will help you learn to brake harder and carry your corner speed, without being at a "track".

Hope this helps.

By the way, I was Keith Little's Mechanic for 5 years and rode in the 250A class for three before that, finishing 4th one of the years.

modracer5
07-11-2004, 06:03 PM
I use only the front brakes and some gas, in a flat sharp turn with no burm so i can get the rear of the quad around tight and fast. You will probally find in most instances that it will be faster to use all the brakes you have. What you need to do is run your bike into the turns harder, faster and deeper then everyone you are racing and then use all the brakes to get slowed enough to take the turn. Either on the gas hard or on the brakes hard. no coasting.

TheMachine
07-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Thanks everyone