PDA

View Full Version : Round #11 "The Penton" TRACKSIDE COVERAGE

Pappy
07-10-2004, 07:03 AM
Good Morning and welocme to our first attempt at semi-live coverage of todays GNCC round #11 race, located in Millfield Ohio. The "Penton" is a race that has become synonomous with poor track conditions over recent years with last years event being a mudfest as compared to the 2002 dustbowl.

Racers this morning are handed much better conditions as the weather at race time will be around 71 degree's and mostly cloudy conditions. There is a 60% chance of rain so once again the "Penton" is showing its unpredictability!

The course is 10 miles long and at 9 am is in good condition with a normal mix of riding conditions. There is alot of new cut course with several nice hillclimbs. There seems to be several "multi" line sections to make passes so hopefully noone will get held up today behind a slower rider.

Racer Productions once again started sound testing and if your quad failed you have to have your silencer repacked for a $20 fee. After the re-pack it didnt matter what decible limit the quad had you were allowed to race. I think we will be hearing more on that issue when the race is over;)

Well thats the update for now, the racers are begininng to gear up and should be starting to head to the line shortly. Race time is 10 am est and an update will be posted after the 1st lap is complete.

Pappy
07-10-2004, 09:27 AM
At race time, the temperature and humidity had risen past what was expected. All AM class starts were as clean as can be expressed and with the first lap down the running order was as follows:

1st Stephanie Parton
2nd Angel Atwell
3rd John Gallagher
4th Traci Cecco

The dust has been getting worse every lap and there are several sections in the woods that have become very muddy. Typical GNCC conditions:macho

Lap 2 running order:

1st Stephanie Parton
2nd Billy Good
3rd Traci cecco
4th John Gallagher

with an hour left to race we will see how the Penton conditions help shape the results!

Pappy
07-10-2004, 09:29 AM
I believe Harlen was in 10th at the end of teh 1st lap and had moved to 5th by the 2nd lap....come on harlum!:macho

Silverfox@C&DRacing
07-10-2004, 10:22 AM
Go Harlum Go :muscle:

jay's 300
07-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Nice coverage Pappy! :D

pairanutz
07-10-2004, 10:45 AM
the suspence is killing me !!!!!!

SGA
07-10-2004, 12:02 PM
This is almost as good as being there. Good Job Kenny and whoever is at the track passing on the info.

Pappy
07-10-2004, 12:27 PM
AM finishing order had Stephanie Parton in 1st , Billy Good in 2nd and Traci Cecco in 3rd, however after the champagne stopped flowing, it was announced that Brandon Sommers had indeed scored himself the 3rd place position for the overall!! Great ride Brandon!

First lap is in for the Pm race

William Yokely
Bill Ballance
Chad Duvall
Matt Smiley
Chris Borich

They are said to be haulin ***:macho

Pappy
07-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Rain invaded the start and the mud masters are proving they can run in the slop!

3rd lap running order

Yokely
Smiley
Duvall
Ballance
Borich

Its been raining on and off since the start, but there was a good downpour just before the green flag fell!

It should be about 28 minutes before the checkered flag comes out!!

gump
07-10-2004, 02:07 PM
how bout derisi and cook, houston ??
mideast boys

Pappy
07-10-2004, 02:32 PM
William Yokely took home the win with Matt Smiley getting 2nd and Chad Duvall wrapped up the podium!!

Gump, i have very little information about anyone else. I didnt even get told what happened to Bill.

Anyway, you all know the results now i want to see some pictures:p

Bill Fuller
07-10-2004, 03:51 PM
What about Pappa Fro?

Foxrage
07-10-2004, 05:26 PM
I like about 30 minutes away im back put only have pics on a diposable camera. IT was a good race. I was soaked before the gate was dropped. I seen some good action for the most part. Ohio has some rough weather and terrain. Jeff from the quadshop was running a little slow today from the way it looked. LOL

Pappy did you bring the honda? I thought i seen you but didnt stop and say hi. How did you do?

Dunlap
07-10-2004, 05:50 PM
Cook had a kill switch short out but I think he got 10th in class. Mike Benson took the open A class again and finished 5th over all on his FST 500r auto clutch Honda.:cool:

popo
07-10-2004, 06:12 PM
Jeff had head pipe problems. The Cdale sounded kinda sick, otherwise you would have seen Chief rain dance on the podium.

The race was a combination of 2003 & 2004 Dust and heat in the morning a repeat downpour from last year.

Myself,marty,Cale and about 50 other quads were all stuck in a bad bottle neck on the 4 mile marker for almost a good 45 minutes.

Marty got pinned in between two trees and was used as a stopping post, it was like racing on snot..... everyone just slid into each other on the down hills. Of slid off the track due to the off cambers.

I heard from other racers that took alternate lines ended up going in circle. It was so bad they were taking the dozers out on the course to rescue riders that had slid down in revenes.

I belive there's a protest in the Open A class, no idea what that's about.

Jason Lewis won the Pro-Am Class.

Another obsevation I noticed, every time John & Jeff Houser from Houser racing come to a race, it rain's .:eek2:

Congrats to those who took home wood.:eek2:

popo
07-10-2004, 06:42 PM
Sound test. What a joke that was again.

This time if you passed they put a tag of your canister and exhaust tip. Which prevented you from removing the quiet core. So they think!!!!

So what's the purpose of the tag? they never inspected for it on the afternoon starting line, did they in the morning?

Mine was 104 with an HMF Ballance pipe that only had the trm "Tq range modifier, the guy parked next to us was a 104 on a yfz450 and they turned him a way.... no idea!

Quad with stock exhausts were waved thru.

As I was leaving the track, the motorcycles where going thru tech and no sound testing was being conducted :grr:

Ryan
07-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Congrats to Yokely on his second overall of the season!

How did Johnny G do?

spincr4hire
07-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by popo
Sound test. What a joke that was again.

This time if you passed they put a tag of your canister and exhaust tip. Which prevented you from removing the quiet core. So they think!!!!

So what's the purpose of the tag? they never inspected for it on the afternoon starting line, did they in the morning?

Mine was 104 with an HMF Ballance pipe that only had the trm "Tq range modifier, the guy parked next to us was a 104 on a yfz450 and they turned him a way.... no idea!

Quad with stock exhausts were waved thru.

As I was leaving the track, the motorcycles where going thru tech and no sound testing was being conducted :grr:

Yep, sound testing was a joke as always. 100 for me without a quiet core on my HMF slip-on. They never even looked at the tags in the am's to my knowledge. WTF?

OrangeForce
07-10-2004, 08:02 PM
I run a V-Force with HMF pipe. Quad has 35 hours total. I went throught & they said it ran a 110 decibel. This was only my 5th GNCC race of the year. Why pull this now?? The guy tells me to look up HMF or go have Twin Air repack it. (I have duals) & the race was to start in 45 mins. I just drove 4 hours to get there (which isn't that bad compared to others), They are going to not let me RACE over a pratically new pipe that 75% of the field seems to run?? Anyways long story short I snagged a budddies spark arrestor, stuck it in the right side pipe, its checked out at 105, got the sticker, & took the arrestor out 2 mins. later. Whats next.......Are they going to require working headlights?? This is a HARESCRAMBLE not a poker run.......Let the motors bark!!!!!

popo
07-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Orangeforce welcome. Wow talk about getting un-expected puckker power.

I hear you about letting them bark...... Like who we gonna upset ???? the race was in the middle of B.F.E.

07-10-2004, 08:28 PM
We had a joker running around the pits it seems. They removed the pin that holds the rear brake lever to the master cylinder on my quad so at the 2nd turn off the holeshot I slam down on the rear brake to stop and find that I have no rear brakes. I thought I broke the guys neck in front of me from whiplash when I slammed into him so hard. SO I had to run the race with no rear brakes from the very start. Those pins don't fall out. I had rear brakes at tech inspection this morning and 1.5 hours later I have no brakes.

Then we find out that Harlen has a 4 inch gash in his tire and his jack was stolen so that he cant' jack up his RV to change the tire. Yeah not a quad tire slashed but his RV.

This person will be caught and dealt with. It's sad that we have to have someone like this out there that TRIED to cause me injury and then does that to Harlen..

spincr4hire
07-10-2004, 08:33 PM
Sorry to hear that Rico. Maybe the same joker that did that stuff cut the ground cable to my battery....:mad:

I think you passed me thru the mx section on my 3rd lap (probably your 4th).

Pappy
07-10-2004, 08:39 PM
:mad: any ideas or was it all random:mad:

brian-250
07-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by spincr4hire

I think you passed me thru the mx section on my 3rd lap (probably your 4th).

that was rico alright!;) :eek2:

I had a good veiw of harlens motorhome BUT, i wasent there for 3/4 of the race but i never seen anything. :confused: hmmm, jim stack wouldent have anything to do with this would he?:grr:

:mad:

intruder
07-10-2004, 09:34 PM
More on sound testing YFZ 450 with a Big Gun exhaust on Friday was 107 and we were told to repack which we did they did it at the track cost $25 not Twenty. Retested on Saturday and it was over 109 with new packing how's that possible could some one explain. They passed it because we had the repacking sticker but said we had to get it quiet before the next race. He asked if the quad was warmed up which it was and couldn’t explain to me how it got louder with new packing. We could actually hear the sound difference with the new packing much quieter. I’m really puzzled with this. :confused: :confused:

WhiteZee
07-10-2004, 09:58 PM
did anyone notice the big tree, and bull dozer not 15 feet from the sound testing???

CatMostFeared
07-10-2004, 10:47 PM
The weather went from hot dry heat to wet cool rain.
GO RICO GO

brian-250
07-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by CatMostFeared
The weather went from hot dry heat to wet cool rain.
GO RICO GO

BOOOOOOO!!!!!!:devil: :o

CatMostFeared
07-10-2004, 10:52 PM
Harlen on the gas.Thats sucks about your rv tires.

Bill Fuller
07-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Ye Haw!!!! post 'em up Marty.

popo
07-10-2004, 11:30 PM
Results are posted on GNCC site.

Braff1
07-11-2004, 12:11 AM
12th place finish in 4 stroke c 33+/82 overall. By the end of the 4th lap I was completely worn out from the riding and the heat.

bradley300
07-11-2004, 12:14 AM
good job big daddy!

Braff1
07-11-2004, 12:20 AM
not bad for an "Old, short fat man"

foxracingpredat
07-11-2004, 12:51 AM
geez yokley dominated, is that tme right? i had to recheck my eyes like 5 times. he must have been hauling, wat a big win!

RobZ_450R
07-11-2004, 06:53 AM
Gentlemen,

Here is a little info on you for sound testing. I am an engineer and I know that thier equipment is bogus. They cannot accurately measure the dBs with their equipment. Yeah their method is somewhat correct but their area & equipment is not. They need to have a calibrated sound tester (I don't think theirs is) because if they can't calibrate it then how do they know for sure it is reading what it is. Also they have to do the test in a sound proof area. The best is an anecoic chamber (Sound proof room - no echos). If there is any other equipment or quads around it will cause your results to be higher. Also, if it is windy it will cause the readings to be higher by affecting the microphone. Please use this as defense the next time they say you busted their limit.

Actually, I have a great idea. I will measure my 450R just before the next GNCC at work with proper equipment. Record the data and take it with me to the race. If they say that my blows the limit but passed at work I will call them out on it. (I have yet to have my 450 checked - missed last 3 races).

Hope this helps all.

countypark
07-11-2004, 08:18 AM
I took about a 2 mile circle on what i thought was the trail but I believe it was the bike trail.

It was a fun ride, a little better then SPARTA.

The MAXXIS RAZOR 2's hooked up pretty well except where all of the mud was scraped off leaving a glass like wet clay surface.

How'd you'all like the downhills? I had to bail about 4 times to avoid going over backwards.

countypark
07-11-2004, 08:23 AM
PS.

MY MBRP PERFORMANCE POWER TECH 4 Exhaust tested at 99db's.

It has 6 races on it and it still looks awesome and has a great sound.

Check them out at www.mbrp.com

They had an evaluation in dirtwheels this year on their complete V-force system.

Polished stainless steel looks awesome.

660bigdaddy
07-11-2004, 09:03 AM
first lap was awesome. then it got interesting. at about the 3 mile marker they had a reroute. ended up doing circles.. :grr: massive bottlenecks on the uphills. i did a superman all the way up one hillclimb. :D broke a tierod end on the mc section at the end of the second lap...

Braff1
07-11-2004, 09:24 AM
This race I have never seen so many wrecks happen around me. The weeds along the side of the trails hiding stumps and big rocks that would reach out and grap you. I think the openness of some of the trails only to run back into the twisting woods left some to wish they had better brakes.

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Pro Papafo (Jeff) was running 7th and moving up and somewheres he lost or broken his headed pipe.

07-11-2004, 10:20 AM
Pro Papafo (Jeff) was running 7th and moving up and somewheres he lost or broken his headed pipe.

Yeah it's odd that a header pipe would break right in the middle of the pipe. Jeff was not rearended which is about the only thing that would cuase a header pipe to crack directly in the midsection of the pipe.

I'm sure he'll get pics of it once he gets the 3 inches of mud off the quad..

cdalejef
07-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Pro Papafo (Jeff) was running 7th and moving up and somewheres he lost or broken his headed pipe. I was in 5th right with the lead pack before they routed the coarse around the bottle neck I was stuck in. :grr:

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Matthew Copley is always lokking behind him to see whos on his tail.

Ryan
07-11-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by foxracingpredat
geez yokley dominated, is that tme right? i had to recheck my eyes like 5 times. he must have been hauling, wat a big win!

I saw that too.... He must have been flying!

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 11:59 AM
Brian Spencer from Lxington,Ky

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Brandon Sommers had the c class points won so he raced stock class and took 2nd place with 3rd overall.

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 12:07 PM
Jean Lovely tok 5th home after a nasty wreak in the race.

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Stephanie Parton 1st in womens and overall.
She had a awesome lead and fromlooks of her in this pic she was feeling pretty good.

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Traci Cecco on the gas.
Go Baby Go

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Angel Atwell has improved for this year looks like she has been training hard with this smooth landing.

07-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
I saw that too.... He must have been flying!

NOt to take away anything from William but with all the bottlenecks and reroutes things were pretty crazy. It's not to often that 8 minutes goes by and you don't see a quad come thru the pits...:eek2: Once the leaders come thru it's a none stop train of riders for over 2 hours. In a normal race your lucky to see 20 seconds go by before seeing a rider come thru much less several minutes.

Riders were going from 1st place to 20th in 1 lap because of all the crazyness. I was glad to see William back up on the podium.

Foxrage
07-11-2004, 12:37 PM
I was standing by the big hill comming off the mx portion of the track waiting for the small 300exs and blasters to see some wrecks and it seemed like i seen the pros twice before i seen the ametures. it was a sad sight to see.

Rico right there at that hill you roosted the **** out of me. I was trying to talk on my cell phone and next thing i knew you were gunning it for that hill. Thanks LOL

Harlen i took one of my buddies up there that has a Z400 and he took pics of every z400 there so i might have some good pics to post of you.

What a race tho ohio is a tough place to ride.

If you think those trails are bad i have trails in my back yard that are worse than them. Although i know what you saying about the bottel necks.

07-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Foxrage

Rico right there at that hill you roosted the **** out of me. I was trying to talk on my cell phone and next thing i knew you were gunning it for that hill. Thanks LOL

Sorry....:devil:

07-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Brian Spencer from Lxington,Ky

That Fella has a short sleeve shirt on.. Last time I had a short sleeve shirt on Rita told me on the starting line to pit the first lap and change it or I would be disqualified...:mad:

Brian I'm turning you in for cheating...:devil:

Braff1
07-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Rico
That Fella has a short sleeve shirt on.. Last time I had a short sleeve shirt on Rita told me on the starting line to pit the first lap and change it or I would be disqualified...:mad:

I think Rita has something for Brian. :blah:

brian-250
07-11-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Braff1
I think Rita has something for Brian. :blah:

:eek2:

Lil - Braff
07-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Well I sure did have a blast and didn't even race! Good job everyone! Rico and Harlen... who ever that was that did that... hope you both find out. Can't wait to see everyone after the break!

jb500ex
07-11-2004, 04:45 PM
the famous jim stack was sitting in the woods broken down for the last three laps. way too go jim

johnson357
07-11-2004, 04:50 PM
We had a joker running around the pits it seems. They removed the pin that holds the rear brake lever to the master cylinder on my quad so at the 2nd turn off the holeshot I slam down on the rear brake to stop and find that I have no rear brakes. I thought I broke the guys neck in front of me from whiplash when I slammed into him so hard. SO I had to run the race with no rear brakes from the very start. Those pins don't fall out. I had rear brakes at tech inspection this morning and 1.5 hours later I have no brakes.

Then we find out that Harlen has a 4 inch gash in his tire and his jack was stolen so that he cant' jack up his RV to change the tire. Yeah not a quad tire slashed but his RV.

This person will be caught and dealt with. It's sad that we have to have someone like this out there that TRIED to cause me injury and then does that to Harlen..

Rico, we had someone cut our generator gas line at GA this year which could of started a nice fire next to our trailer. I have some good ideas on who did mine if you want to pm me we'll see if you happened to park close to the same people.

coorsinmyc-bak
07-11-2004, 05:12 PM
Matthew Copley is always lokking behind him to see whos on his tail.

that is me behind him.from the 25-33 class.

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by coorsinmyc-bak
that is me behind him.from the 25-33 class.

Is this you Troy Nash #541 who finished 2nd in 25-33 class

spincr4hire
07-11-2004, 06:19 PM

actually, its a 3/4 sleeve shirt...notice my knees sticking out too...nothing like pants that turn into shorts....:blah:

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Dan Kiehl finished 18th in stock class

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 06:38 PM
William GuinterSuper Senior Class

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 06:41 PM
1st year racer Thomas Wright

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Jeremy Kohlmeier 16-24 c class

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Brian Guinter
Utility Modified

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Super Senior Camp John Gallagher lands a no hander

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 06:59 PM
John Ribley finished 5th Utitily Unlimited
and grabbed some air.

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 07:02 PM
Traci Cecco working the whoops

Karizz
07-11-2004, 07:03 PM
nice pics CatMostFeared ,keep posten um!...I ended up 4th in 4strk C +33 and 43rd overall, Heres some pics from afternoon race...
Heres Yokely lap #1.

Karizz
07-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Smiley in second pleace on Lap 1 @ mile marker 8ish

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Kevin Schmitt was watching me instead of the camera.

Karizz
07-11-2004, 07:23 PM
..Is this a Four Stroke Tech Rider up front?

Bryan Cook

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 07:25 PM
Yup I caught you on camera

Karizz
07-11-2004, 07:27 PM
Todd Knippenberg

Karizz
07-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Most goggles came off after a few turns of the 1st lap...

Eric Davis

Karizz
07-11-2004, 07:32 PM
what a mess......

Sean Neidlinger

Karizz
07-11-2004, 07:35 PM
i saw alot of flats rolling around in the afternoon race...Man I give anybody Major Props for racing in the wet,slick conditions...it must have been scary going down some of those hills with the trees ...it was slick in the am, cant imagine afternoon!

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 07:35 PM
Nicholas Brueggemann finished 13th in 16-24 C
What the Hell is on your Head

Karizz
07-11-2004, 07:37 PM
It was crazy in the afternoon, the sun came out and the track was actually steaming.....weird:huh

Gregg Stewart?

Karizz
07-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Hey Rico short sleeves:blah:...anyway was nice meeting ya before our am start, sorry to hear about your braking problem,thats F'd up!..... oh and thanks for helping my buddy JB500EX get his quad upright!

Todd Rothermel

CatMostFeared
07-11-2004, 07:42 PM
This is what I think of the afternoon race

Karizz
07-11-2004, 07:46 PM
Now here is a Racing Family in Action! This was common sight during the afternoon race..fresh goggles, new gloves, a spray of water...and a Good Luck pat on your back ...and go get em!

The Kenney Family:D

Karizz
07-11-2004, 07:49 PM
well thats it for pics from me, I was afraid the rain was gonna hurt my Camera...:(

ex kid
07-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Karizz
what a mess......

Tom Hertz

pretty sure that's Sean N., not Tommy.

Admin
07-11-2004, 07:51 PM
I did my best to indentify the Racers from the Afternoon on your photos Karizz. I am usually pretty good at it since I do it all the time. I sometimes freak people out when I start calling out names along the track rider after rider. Thanks for posting the photos

Admin
07-11-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by ex kid
pretty sure that's Sean N., not Tommy.

Yup its Sean! They look identical, but the helmets are different.

Karizz
07-11-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin
I did my best to indentify the Racers from the Afternoon on your photos Karizz. I am usually pretty good at it since I do it all the time. I sometimes freak people out when I start calling out names along the track rider after rider. Thanks for posting the photos

Thanks Harlen, and Your welcome ! Hey I dont know how you guys felt about the AM race but when I came around on the 3rd lap I was expecting the white flag....Then they showed me The big #2....Uggh man...5 laps... It was pretty hot and my camel bak was empty for lap #5:eek: I know I know...it coulda been worse...it coulda RAINED:eek2:

Meek
07-12-2004, 01:23 AM
There were about 25 of us that hit a bottleneck after the first checkpoint, someone made thair own trail around back to the track. Then the next thing that we know were passing the starting area. We were all like WTF, so we started all over again.

Oh well. It could have been worse, there is nothing like steering with your nerf bars all day long. Hit this tree to turn right, hit that quad to turn left, hit that tree to stop, and take out 3 easy-ups to make another turn.

What a day. Can't wait to do it again.:D

CatMostFeared
07-12-2004, 03:39 AM
Karizz here you go.

I just about took everyones picture:D

Prairiewrench
07-12-2004, 09:12 AM
We had a great time there for our first attempt at a GNCC race. We may not have ran such a good race but we still learned alot and I got to put faces to names and everyone we met were good to talk with! Even Jim Stakk came and chatted with us,,, he's alright in person and from what I seen, nuts on th etrack! LOL!!!

Hey Harlen, I never got back to you cause I didn't find you but I'd really like to get some of them pics from you if I can!

We ran one Prairie in the mod class with Alex Gronbach #315, he went intoi the woods third and came through scoring first ahead of Tommy Farr who was on my FST Prairie. This was the last race for Farr to get to ride my quad, I brought it home with me so I can get to ride it finally! LOL!! Then Alex went about another half a lap and the temp light came on,, this temp thing has been a problem with that quad since day one and I told Alex to pull in if the light came on,,, no reason to smoke an engine at this race. Need to save it for the Iowa ATV harescramble series beings we are leading in points there! It just about killed him to do this but he used his head and pulled it in! Did anyone happen to get any pics of him in that one and half laps?
We ran one guy on a YFZ 450 in the afternoon race,,, he ended up stuck at the bottom of a hill, he helped several others get going and found himself left behind with no one helping him and there he sat till the last 15 minutes of the race when an official came and towed him out,, I guess it's like they say,,, nice guys finish last!
He said he still had fun! We may be back next year to run a few more of these races. Great meeting you guys!

Boomer825
07-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Sound Testing
Gentlemen,

Here is a little info on you for sound testing. I am an engineer and I know that thier equipment is bogus. They cannot accurately measure the dBs with their equipment. Yeah their method is somewhat correct but their area & equipment is not. They need to have a calibrated sound tester (I don't think theirs is) because if they can't calibrate it then how do they know for sure it is reading what it is. Also they have to do the test in a sound proof area. The best is an anecoic chamber (Sound proof room - no echos). If there is any other equipment or quads around it will cause your results to be higher. Also, if it is windy it will cause the readings to be higher by affecting the microphone. Please use this as defense the next time they say you busted their limit.

Actually, I have a great idea. I will measure my 450R just before the next GNCC at work with proper equipment. Record the data and take it with me to the race. If they say that my blows the limit but passed at work I will call them out on it. (I have yet to have my 450 checked - missed last 3 races).

Hope this helps all.

I was told my pipe was 108db. I then asked to see what the meter was reading away from the quad...93 db. Is the 93db considered a sound proof area. According to RP, my pipe had to be within a percentage of the surrounding area. Does anyone know what that % might be?

Also, I know a guy that measured 105.2 on Friday paid his $25 to have it repacked (which never happened because they couldn't remove the insert) and went through tech again. Keep in mind he was given the packing to re-pack the pipe @ home. He teched @ 103 db. The guy with the meter was boasting on how much the repacking works.

RP has some serious issues that need to be addressed regarding this.

jb500ex
07-12-2004, 10:00 AM
my white bros race series pipe got 100 even. it was kind off funny that they said if you have twin air repack your pipe we will put you through.

cdalejef
07-12-2004, 10:11 AM
I think they did that just so you at least tried to make it quiet.

Mine was a 102....HMF no quiet core.

Prairiewrench
07-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Our Prairie with a new full HMF read 96
The HMF on mine Farr was on they said was 108
I have a cheap tester and in the wide open with nothing around I had a 101 before we came to the race! ????
I feel sorry for you guys having to deal with that crap at every race!

Duncanracer
07-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Traci Cecco working the whoops

those are som,e huge ***** whoops in that pic....

gizmocor
07-12-2004, 03:26 PM
I don't know how they can justify there sound test at all. I know several people with pipes that are way quieter than mine that were border line or didn't pass. Then when I was walking around the starting line I heard one of the Pro's (who I won't call out, but anyone who was there will know exactly who I'm talking about) revving there motor and it would just sting your ears it was so loud. It was one of the loudest quads I've ever heard, with or without a silencer, and it had the tech sticker on it. I guess as long as no one is told they can't race it isn't really a problem yet........

cdalejef
07-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by gizmocor
I don't know how they can justify there sound test at all. I know several people with pipes that are way quieter than mine that were border line or didn't pass. Then when I was walking around the starting line I heard one of the Pro's (who I won't call out, but anyone who was there will know exactly who I'm talking about) revving there motor and it would just sting your ears it was so loud. It was one of the loudest quads I've ever heard, with or without a silencer, and it had the tech sticker on it. I guess as long as no one is told they can't race it isn't really a problem yet........

Karizz
07-12-2004, 03:47 PM
I tested at 104.5 db's at Penton and 104.5 db's at Steele Creek back in March. thats kinda weird :huh considering I have about a million more hours on that pipe since March!

coorsinmyc-bak
07-12-2004, 03:52 PM
Is this you Troy Nash #541 who finished 2nd in 25-33 class

thats me,why did i do something wrong?lol

86atc250r
07-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Yeah it's odd that a header pipe would break right in the middle of the pipe. Jeff was not rearended which is about the only thing that would cuase a header pipe to crack directly in the midsection of the pipe.

I'm sure he'll get pics of it once he gets the 3 inches of mud off the quad..

I've seen that happen on a Cannondale before --- in that case, the rider hit the revlimiter - which is only an ignition cut on the CDale (still dumps raw fuel into the chamber).

As it skipped thru the limiter, it backfired blowing the silencer clean off & tearing the header off about midway. Ruined the whole pipe.

Pretty crazy - but it happened.... I would have figured it would have separated at the joint first.

coorsinmyc-bak
07-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Karizz
Thanks Harlen, and Your welcome ! Hey I dont know how you guys felt about the AM race but when I came around on the 3rd lap I was expecting the white flag....Then they showed me The big #2....Uggh man...5 laps... It was pretty hot and my camel bak was empty for lap #5:eek: I know I know...it coulda been worse...it coulda RAINED:eek2:

boy i know exactly what you are talking about,i was thinking of making a good run for it on the last lap,but seen the number two sign and didnt think i could do 2 more full speed.it was fun for a while though.

OldmanWheeler
07-12-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Prairiewrench
He said he still had fun! We may be back next year to run a few more of these races.

Ok PW we will hold you to that!!! All year the team has had to listen to PW about how this was his last year because he was going to start riding and having fun!!! :devil: I guess he must of had to much fun in the SuperCrew with four other guys for 18 hours . . . I know we had fun listening to him :macho

Anyway I also enjoyed meeting everyone and had a great time. I thing Alex had the best time of his life Saturday night and from what I hear we can thank the waitresses from Bob Evans. That boy grinned all the way home!!!! :D The rest of us - we were just green with envey!!! As PW says, we will be back!!!

07-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
I've seen that happen on a Cannondale before --- in that case, the rider hit the revlimiter - which is only an ignition cut on the CDale (still dumps raw fuel into the chamber).

As it skipped thru the limiter, it backfired blowing the silencer clean off & tearing the header off about midway. Ruined the whole pipe.

Pretty crazy - but it happened.... I would have figured it would have separated at the joint first.

Jeff post the pic already would ya...:grr:

Well everything was still mounted up and intact except for the header being cracked and separated about 2 inches..:huh

popo
07-12-2004, 06:57 PM
Jeff post the pic already would ya...:grr:

Well everything was still mounted up and intact except for the header being cracked and separated about 2 inches..:huh

Oh no here we go! :rolleyes:

Bill Fuller
07-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Smells like Monkey Boy to me:grr:

CatMostFeared
07-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Daniel Brafford 33+ C Class

quad_45
07-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Karizz here you go.

I just about took everyones picture:D

Not mine. :blah:

CatMostFeared
07-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by quad_45
Not mine. :blah:

I got you too I'll post in the morning.:blah:

rowlrag
07-12-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r

Jeff's broke from being rammed in the arse many times previously to saturdays race, And rear caliper encounters, so it decided to finished itself during the race. Such is life it happens, this not from backfire.

86atc250r
07-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Well then, he just needs to ride faster :cool:

If it were me, I'd rather have the story told that I was hammering on the rev-limit than taking it in the rear :eek2:

rowlrag
07-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Lmao:D

CatMostFeared
07-13-2004, 02:12 AM
Stefanie Verkade is ranked #4 in the womens class
and finished 4th polace at The Penton

quad_45 I gotta

CatMostFeared
07-13-2004, 02:12 AM
I shot you twice.:cool:

RobZ_450R
07-13-2004, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Boomer825
Sound Testing
Gentlemen,

Hope this helps all.

I was told my pipe was 108db. I then asked to see what the meter was reading away from the quad...93 db. Is the 93db considered a sound proof area. According to RP, my pipe had to be within a percentage of the surrounding area. Does anyone know what that % might be?

Also, I know a guy that measured 105.2 on Friday paid his $25 to have it repacked (which never happened because they couldn't remove the insert) and went through tech again. Keep in mind he was given the packing to re-pack the pipe @ home. He teched @ 103 db. The guy with the meter was boasting on how much the repacking works.

RP has some serious issues that need to be addressed regarding this.

I will check all of the official testing guidlines and report them here. I am not officially the sound test guy at work but I sit right next to him. I will send him an e-mail (I am currently stuck in Japan testing for Honda) and ask him for all the official factory testing method for exhaust noise.

cdalejef
07-13-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by rowlrag
Jeff's broke from being rammed in the arse many times previously to saturdays race, And rear caliper encounters, so it decided to finished itself during the race. Such is life it happens, this not from backfire. Thats not it at all, That pipe only has 3 races on it. The silincer has two mounting points and even if it was that, those mounting points would have to move to put any stress on the header.

wvgnccracer
07-13-2004, 12:06 PM
Kevin Schmitt was watching me instead of the camera.

Hey Kevin watch out for that ditch...

rowlrag
07-14-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Thats not it at all, That pipe only has 3 races on it. The silincer has two mounting points and even if it was that, those mounting points would have to move to put any stress on the header. ;)

07-15-2004, 07:21 AM
first off flying brian..... don't ever mention my name with such ***** a 9 behavior as vandalism i know you didnt totally come out and blame me.. but i know what your thinking dude and do me a favor dont... and as far as who done this i hope they catch the clown. if it was truley mischeif its a da*e shame because all of us work so hard and spend so much of our hard earned money and so much time into making these events & then have some low life make things even harder for everyone. allmost sounds like kids but who knows........ jb500ex thanks 4 noticing i was sitting track side.... only this time the machine wasnt broke down it was me that was broke.. and it was the 3rd lap @ mile marker 5 not the second lap. the hose on my camel back decided to pop off im guessing the first 3 miles or so thats when i went for my first drink the well was dry. i had fluid in it on the starting line but that was it. i kept pushing and pushing trying to extend the lead and with the prairie still riding like a cement mixer it made things even harder. i was trying to make it to the MX track on lap 3 to get some fluid but never made it. i stopped 4 different times in the woods @ 4 different people and no 1 had any water i guess everyone drank theres on the hot walk out there.. i finally just pulled over and relinquished the lead... i felt like i was gonna colapse. i was physically exhausted, the way i felt must be some what the same feeling a person has when they are recovering from a dabilitating disiase, my vision was starting to get blurry i'm sure my brain was floating in a puddle of water, my acid base balance was off & my breathing became irratick i knew i had reached my physical limit. if i didnt pull over i was going to either do damage to myself or someone else it was a scary feeling.... 600 # machine, no water, peterbuilt suspension & 96 degrees & humid bad bad combanation im not making NO excuses i quit for the first time ever oh well ill get them next time.... oh jb500ex maybe if i had some of your cardio crap before the race this wouldn't have happened :)

brian-250
07-15-2004, 10:10 AM
Well jim if you werent such an *** to everyone on the site MABY i wouldent have thought it was you.;)

07-15-2004, 10:12 AM
not an ***** to everyone just a select few ;)

Admin
07-15-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by brian-250
Well jim if you werent such an *** to everyone on the site MABY i wouldent have thought it was you.;)

Very True, but lets not start a flaming War. I truly hope to believe Stack that he didn't put the three inch slash in my tire, but if he didn't, It deeply puzzles me what I did to deserve this from anyone. I guess I forgot someones pictures too many times :D

brian-250
07-15-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by jim stack
just a select few ;)

yep, thats it.;)

brian-250
07-15-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin
I guess I forgot someones pictures too many times :D

MINE.:grr:

you know i wouldent do somthing like that.;) :p

Lil - Braff
07-15-2004, 10:52 AM
MINE.:grr:

you know i wouldent do somthing like that.;) :p

Well you wouldn't want him to break his camera! :macho J/K!!

brian-250
07-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Lil - Braff
Well you wouldn't want him to break his camera! :macho J/K!!

:grr: see you sunday.:devil: :macho

rowlrag
07-15-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by jim stack
first off flying brian..... don't ever mention my name with such ***** a 9 behavior as vandalism i know you didnt totally come out and blame me.. but i know what your thinking dude and do me a favor dont... and as far as who done this i hope they catch the clown. if it was truley mischeif its a da*e shame because all of us work so hard and spend so much of our hard earned money and so much time into making these events & then have some low life make things even harder for everyone. allmost sounds like kids but who knows........ jb500ex thanks 4 noticing i was sitting track side.... only this time the machine wasnt broke down it was me that was broke.. and it was the 3rd lap @ mile marker 5 not the second lap. the hose on my camel back decided to pop off im guessing the first 3 miles or so thats when i went for my first drink the well was dry. i had fluid in it on the starting line but that was it. i kept pushing and pushing trying to extend the lead and with the prairie still riding like a cement mixer it made things even harder. i was trying to make it to the MX track on lap 3 to get some fluid but never made it. i stopped 4 different times in the woods @ 4 different people and no 1 had any water i guess everyone drank theres on the hot walk out there.. i finally just pulled over and relinquished the lead... i felt like i was gonna colapse. i was physically exhausted, the way i felt must be some what the same feeling a person has when they are recovering from a dabilitating disiase, my vision was starting to get blurry i'm sure my brain was floating in a puddle of water, my acid base balance was off & my breathing became irratick i knew i had reached my physical limit. if i didnt pull over i was going to either do damage to myself or someone else it was a scary feeling.... 600 # machine, no water, peterbuilt suspension & 96 degrees & humid bad bad combanation im not making NO excuses i quit for the first time ever oh well ill get them next time.... oh jb500ex maybe if i had some of your cardio crap before the race this wouldn't have happened :)
Thats probly the nicest post you've ever made Jim, keep it up:D
Your right you gotta have the water, i get the same way without it, tho you lost yours, that sucks, keep in mind to drink before you start feeling wierd and there wont be any problems, if you got water:p

jb500ex
07-16-2004, 08:29 AM
rowlrag
i agree with you about his posts. not that bad.

jja125
07-16-2004, 10:25 AM
i've been reluctant to use my camelback. i've had one all year but never used it yet. i'm afraid if i get used to it then i'll want to have it all the time and then be screwed when it runs out or breaks or something. plus i don't like haveing junk strapped to me when i'm riding. i've never tried to ride with it, but it just looks like it would bother me.

did all 5 laps there on saturday in the AM race with no water and my lap times stayed basically within 1 min of each other :huh

but i was hurting when i got done. i wanted to cry when i saw them put the 1/2 way marker up.

hey when you guys are talking about certain spots on the track and reference the "mile markers" where are they :confused:

i've been racing all year and have yet to see a mile marker anywhere?? maybe i really do need to get glasses?

Karizz
07-16-2004, 10:33 AM
usually a colored plastic or paper plate with a # on it stapeled to a tree!!

Admin
07-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Jared I think you are crazy not to run with a camel back because of fear of becoming dependent. I agree that I have lost all my water early in races in the past, but oh well for them, but the benefits of having it during the other races is significant. Some races, I don't drink anything, but in others, I will empty it before the last lap.

I looked at your lap times and they aren't bad, but if you went much faster, especially below 28 minutes a lap, you would have been seriously wanting something to drink. I think you should seriously consider having one for the last couple of races. Also, it works great a protecting the back in a serious wreck. I have wrecked twice wear the camelback save me from being injuried. Where the camel back stopped I was bruised badly, but the camel back helped absorb most of the blow and it bursted when I wrecked in Texas.

Anyway, Yes, you will see mile markers all around the course at various points.

ranger400ex
07-16-2004, 11:41 AM
I think Jim has a soft side....:D You losing your edge Jim? :P

I saw monkeyboy tiptoeing around the pits, maybe he got his hands on some vandalism.

Remember their were two bikes stolen this weekend too, a little kids 65 and a KXF400 on saturday afternoon. Sad to see people resort to that kinda stuff for fun.

brian-250
07-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by ranger400ex

I saw monkeyboy tiptoeing around the pits, maybe he got his hands on some vandalism.

i think it was that skinny lil meek boy.:eek2: :devil:

jja125
07-16-2004, 01:48 PM
harlen, we've got a district 5 race up near wisp next weekend - you should go. i might give the camelback a try at that one. i'm going to try riding with it tomorrow. never thought about the extra padding it woudl provide.

your not the first person to call me crazy.....in fact you are the third person today :devil:

Crayfish
07-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Out here in Ca we are very familar with sound checks. All public riding area require a 96db rating. You need to research and check out the proper procedure to make sure they are doing it correctly, it can make a huge difference. WE are tested according to SAE J-1287. I have read this and you guys need to also. It describes exactly what should and should not be done. Like if it is raining the test is no good, and about other bikes near by. Also the sound meter must be at a 45 degree angle and 20 inches away from exit of exhaust plus other stuff. I was looking at the pictures of guys being checked and there is a picture of the guy holding the tester almost directly behind the exhaust. If so, that test is bogus!!! Find this J-1287, print it our and take it with you to your next race, it will help.

cdalejef
07-16-2004, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the info Crayfish

Crayfish
07-16-2004, 02:39 PM
No worries. I had a day of riding ended before it began because of a test done incorrectly, but at the time I did not know how the test was to be done correctly. Same bike, same exhaust different day but this time I made sure the test was done correctly and holy **** it passed this time.

It was a picture of Bill Balance that was being tested. Might explian why the one pipe failed and the other sparks pipe passed?

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1140/files/j1287_199807.pdf

Here is the Sae standard, not sure if it is what you guys are tested with.

RobZ_450R
07-16-2004, 05:30 PM
You beat me to it Crayfish. I just learned today that is the standard to use and was just about to put it on here. Thanks, I think this will help out a lot of GNCCers.

Meek
07-16-2004, 10:40 PM
i think it was that skinny lil meek boy.:eek2: :devil:

I don't care if you are only 10 years old and weigh 250 lbs, next time I see you, it will be my foot in your ***.

I have never seen someone talk so much smack, that is not evan old enough to wipe themself, I bet it is crowded with you and your mom in the same port-o-let.:eek:

brian-250
07-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Meek
I don't care if you are only 10 years old and weigh 250 lbs, next time I see you, it will be my foot in your ***.

Bring it on lil boy, BTW im 13 5'11" 170.;) :macho

gncc571
07-17-2004, 06:14 AM
I have a 450r with a full HMF exhaust and at the begining of the year with the quiet core it was 102, then it went down to 98 the last couple times they check it,at the penton it was still 98.So I guess what their readings show is, as your packing wears out it gets quieter;) .
I also noticed as I was leaving that they weren't testing the bikes which is bunch of sh!!.
I also saw someone go through and get passed with a 107 reading:confused: figure that one out

ranger400ex
07-18-2004, 11:37 AM
I am gonna love whatching Meek kick the shat out of a curly haired youngin!!! then maybe he can show ya how to ride that XC250....:D

5'11" is that in munchkin scale?

:eek: :eek:

brian-250
07-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by ranger400ex
I am gonna love whatching Meek kick the shat out of a curly haired youngin!!! then maybe he can show ya how to ride that XC250....:D

5'11" is that in munchkin scale?

:eek: :eek:

FYI i got it cut.:o

Bring it on tubby.:macho :macho :eek2: