PDA

View Full Version : Gear shifter spindle broken...ouch!

drummer-on-a-EX
07-09-2004, 08:28 PM
As I'm coming down a rather large bowl I upshift to 3rd and the gear shift spindle breaks right behind the shift lever, any one have a bright idea for a fix without having to break the cases?
Thanx,
Drummer

asdf450r
07-09-2004, 08:29 PM
a dab of JB weld, some duct tape, and a little gasoline and youll be fine ;)

04'400ex'er
07-09-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by drummer-on-a-EX
As I'm coming down a rather large bowl I upshift to 3rd and the gear shift spindle breaks right behind the shift lever, any one have a bright idea for a fix without having to break the cases?
Thanx,
Drummer Are you saying you broke the shifter shaft? If so, You could try the JB Weld or try to mig it, but at some point, the cases will be split...

drummer-on-a-EX
07-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Yes, I broke the shifter shaft, the only problem with splitting the cases is if I do I might as well stroke it while I'm in there, and as long as the jug is off i might as well turn the 88 bore to a 89 bore which leads to a new carb, you see where I'm going with this.
Trying to put that off for a while, but don't want to be stranded with out a shifter miles from camp.

04'400ex'er
07-09-2004, 08:58 PM
If you wanted to rig it, this is what I would do: Put a little JB weld in the center of the shaft, and attach the broken and center it up and let it dry.Make sure you have a small size crack.Take a mig and start welding as deep in between the shafts as you can. weld, and let it dry. then heat it up again. The more you do this, the better the bond is between the two metals. Just build up and build up until you have the crack filled full uf welds. I dont know about any seals or anything, but that would be the sturdiest rig I can imagine.

ss440ex
07-09-2004, 10:59 PM
Find yourself a welder with a Tig welder.
I have seen a few of them fixed that way.
And still works fine.
Good luck,Its no big deal.

TC426EX
07-10-2004, 07:14 AM
OK I HAVE to chime in on this one... PUT IT THIS WAY... you MUST split the cases to do it. I broke my shift shaft only 3 weeks ago and just fixed it. Do a search on shift shaft and you will see my post. There is a seal on the inside of the shift shaft that will melt if you try to weld it. JB weld will NOT hold it either... You have NO CHOICE but to split the cases trust me. There is no way to jerry rig this repair TRUST ME it will just break again and cause you MUCH MORE headache...

Here is what you need...

-New Shift Shaft assembly (East Coast ATV has used ones for 15-20 bucks)...
-Full bottom end gasket kit
-Full top end gasket kit
-new rings
-re-hone the cylinder

Seriously, the EXACT same thing happened to me 3 weeks ago and it was a ***** to fix. Its rippin now and I couldnt be happier. Since I did it myself, the whole job cost about 100 bucks to do. Most dealerships will charge 300-500 bucks to split the cases alone. Do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined and get a clymers manual. Go and do that search to check for my other thread on this and take my word for it, DO IT RIGHT dont try to half *** this job it WILL NOT WORK!!!!!

UglyMotha™
07-10-2004, 10:05 AM
man i tell you, you guys that think you can monkey rig stuff, first off the jb weld is just completly off the wall, the duct tape would have been a better idea and further more there is a seal in the case that can only be taken out from the inside and by welding on it you will toast the seal so quit trying to think other than the obvious ways to fix it and get to splitting, whether or not you do motor work is up to you, it's still a choice that you don't have to do

TC426EX
07-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Well said, Ugly...

Just think about how much stress the shift shaft goes through... If you ride aggressive, you are constantly stomping down and kicking up on that thing. Ask yourself if you REALLY think that JB weld or rigging it up would hold it, then ask yourself if you want to take that chance when youre far from home base with a busted shaft for the second time... You really need to invest in an aftermarket shift lever too if you havent. usually, the stock lever will get bent under the case or scrape it, and people will just bend it out while its still attached. This seriously weakens the shaft and everything. An aftermarket shifter will keep its shape and you wont have this problem.... Split the cases and do it right, I cant stress it enough!!!!!

04'400ex'er
07-10-2004, 09:19 PM
I have never split the cases on a 400ex so I know nothing about the seals or anythine. I do know that if there was a way to keep them from melting that I could weld them. Keep pouring water on it while being welded?? Anyways if you do decide to take the chance of welding, make sure you dont just hold them together and weld them because it will definately not hold. you must put a slight (1/8 or so) in gap between the two so to get penetration and melt the weld into the center. You would have to weld it and weld it and weld it in th same spot to melt the wire into the hole well. The wisest thing would be to split'em, though.