PDA

View Full Version : Rico how is the muscle steering damper?

sheaff400ex
08-28-2001, 02:19 PM
I'm thinking about getting a steering damper for my 400ex. I saw in your sig that you have a muscle steering damper. How do you like it? I ride primarily trails. Any input would be appreciated.

trx400ex
08-28-2001, 04:04 PM
ive got a question to add to that ....doesnt it make it a little harder to steer on a mx track??

Dave400ex
08-28-2001, 04:39 PM
If it made it harder to steer than the pro`s wouldn`t use them.

08-28-2001, 05:53 PM
:) I put on the Muscle streering stabilizer and I really like it. There are seven adjustments to ckoose from. On setting one it's like it isn't even there. On setting seven it makes the bars hard to turn. I have mine set at 4 for high speed desert and it works great.

As with most aftermarket items, the installation instructions suck, but the quality of the unit is fine. My biggest beef was that Speed Racing had them on backorder and it took me two months to get one...

I have not seen the Denton one, but from the descriptions they are very similar.

sheaff400ex
08-28-2001, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the input.

CBRSLIDER
08-28-2001, 07:59 PM
Hey I bought the Graydon Damper, and from what I've seen, it is the same as the Muscle. I paid about $175.00 for the Damper from Graydon. More than the Muscle but it was available when I ordered it. I also looked at the new Denton rebuildable damper. Come to find out they are the same, except for a few decals. The Denton is the cheapest that I have found. So look into it.

I really don't know how I survived without a damper for the last 20 years. I really recommend getting one, no matter what type you get. I got mine from the Quad Shop, and Marty was great. He handles both the Graydon and the Denton.

Good Luck.

Ray

08-29-2001, 08:06 AM
I'm very happy with mine,,I normally leave it on the 2nd click for MX riding anymore than that and the steering gets tricky coming off of jumps and getting it staightened out before landing. You get use to it real quick and after about 5 rides it doesn't even feel like it's on there anymore..But if ya take it off you'll know it's not there.. I recommend it to anyone that's got 150 bucks to blow on something,,and it's rebuildable,,,and it's all aluminum,,and that's all..see ya..:D

08-31-2001, 03:45 PM
I have a pep and believe it or not I think it makes the bike better in some ways and really dangerous in some. If your sliding on a moto x track and its really hardpack be careful becuase the rear end won't slide going into the corners coming in just going out which means you'll be sliding on the first of the straightways. If you let off the gas your gonna flip. The only time its helped is on slamming into whoops and big ditches. If the ground is really slippery be careful also. The only reason I've kept mine on is cuz i ride trails so much and it helps there.

09-01-2001, 08:50 AM
bermbanger: I don't see how a steering stabilizer affects the ability of the rear end to slide. I can only see that if the steering stabilizer was too stiff and did not allow the front tires to turn quick enough. Is the PEP adjustable?

09-02-2001, 05:00 PM
Yes its 3 way adjustable and mines in the middle position. It did make the handlebars a lot harder to turn and therefore I can't react as fast.