PDA

View Full Version : welding

jaywoodsrider
07-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Well the teeth on my countershaft (i think that's what it's called, the shaft that the front sprocket mounts to) all broke off so i'm wondering if it is possible to weld that shaft, or is it too strong.

sickmojave
07-09-2004, 03:54 PM
are you talking about welding the sprocket to the counter shaft?? if so I would not do this. you would be just asking for a chit load of trouble.:eek:

04'400ex'er
07-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by jaywoodsrider
Well the teeth on my countershaft (i think that's what it's called, the shaft that the front sprocket mounts to) all broke off so i'm wondering if it is possible to weld that shaft, or is it too strong. ??? Do you mean weld a sprocket to the shaft (not a good idea)? You will end up splitting the cases sooner or later.

sickmojave
07-09-2004, 03:57 PM
and what would you do when the sprocket wears out??

jaywoodsrider
07-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Yes that is what i'm talking about. I don't really care what happens to the motor, it is just a temporary fix until i have enough money for a 350x conversion. I don't wanna pay honda all the money when i can install a better motor for pretty much the same price.

jaywoodsrider
07-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by sickmojave
and what would you do when the sprocket wears out??

grind it off and put a new one on

04'400ex'er
07-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by jaywoodsrider
Yes that is what i'm talking about. I don't really care what happens to the motor, it is just a temporary fix until i have enough money for a 350x conversion. I don't wanna pay honda all the money when i can install a better motor for pretty much the same price. If you are puttinng a 350x motor in, then It would be up to you to weld the sprocket on. It can be done, I would just buy a new steel and have it welded on. You will have to do one hell of a welding job though, I would make cut outs or cut out most of the bottom of the sprocket at the bottom allowing a small part on each side allowing the srocket to set true, that way you have something to get penetration on the back side of the sprocket. If you can bond between the two, and also run a bead along the outside also, you will be set. Otherwise,??? I dont think it will hold.

04'400ex'er
07-09-2004, 04:08 PM
Also, make sure the sprocket is lined up with the rear, or you will be buying new chains all the time.

sickmojave
07-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Good luck with that countershaft seal.

400exdad
07-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Weld it on and sell it. Buy a 400EX.