PDA

View Full Version : new 400ex..black plug

turboz961
07-09-2004, 12:53 AM
hello everyone, after reading the board for awhile i went out and bought a new 400ex (my last bike was a 200x some time ago), i love it to death and wish i had more time to ride it but im always working...anyways on to the problem, i broke it in right...and im not ruff on it at all, and if the truth be known i might have run 4 tanks of gas ( superunleaded ) and it dry fouls spark plugs, 2 already. whats going on? ohhh yeah no mods...all stock running the ngk 8 plug not the 9. any feedback is appreciated..do i need to put it in the shop?

cals400ex
07-09-2004, 02:20 AM
no need for the shop. more than likely your flooding it when trying to start it. i would just go out to the bike and hit the throttle 3 or 4 times. then turn it on full choke and just hit the start button WITHOUT hitting the gas any more. these carbs have an accelerator pump and will foul plugs easily if you hit the throttle too many times before the bike is started.

stocktires
07-17-2004, 03:54 AM
but wouldn't flooding the bike wet foul the plug cals?
If your dry fouling, and running 89 octane, then 93 octane would help a little. Just raise the main a size until you see the brown paper bag color

cals400ex
07-17-2004, 11:32 AM
yeah, it could be that he needs different fuel. i just wasn't sure when he checked the plug. after trying to start it? after lettting it idle?? after running at 1/2 throttle?? after running at full throttle??

it would be possible that he is wet fouling it but checking the plug after he gets it started. this might lead to a dry foul look.

turboz961
07-19-2004, 01:08 AM
it wouldnt start, so thats when i pulled the plug and it was dry fouled. i pay close attention to the way i start it cold now(thanks for the info), and its doing better as far as cold starts and missing like when the plug is fouled. it definately needs some jets or adjustment on the carb. if i start riding more i'll put a pipe and a k&n and jet it, but is there anything i can do now? i got a box of plugs so tell me how to check it and ill put a fresh plug in, run it and post a reply. i always run superunleaded.

supermans400ex
07-19-2004, 12:30 PM
turboz961: What part of alabama are you from?

turboz961
07-19-2004, 10:36 PM
i seen one of your post and was gonna ask you the same. im in florence al. or should i say close to, about 15 minutes away.