PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Land

BARRY
03-28-2002, 08:20 PM
i am making the switch from woods rider hill climber to mx.we have been going to this track in amhearst for a few weeks now and i am almost ready to tackle some 50 foot table tops.i am only running stock suspension on a 2001 400ex. i know i will blow my shocks out soon. is there a trick to my settings.does anybody have any advise on how to delay the inevitable.also what tire pressure should i run with stock ohtsus. i know the best way to land is on the down side but im not that good yet.should i land on a wheelie or should i land even too distribute my 250 pound self. i know i exceed the weight limit for a 400ex but i just had to have one. are there any cheap good quality shocks that could handle my abuse.sorry for all the questions but i have only been riding for 6 months and any advise will be great

MadcapEX
03-28-2002, 08:23 PM
The best way to land is right side up.;)

Juggalo
03-28-2002, 09:24 PM
yeah make sure you land rubber side down..thats the best way to land.

03-29-2002, 08:19 AM
make sure u land on ur back tires if u land on ur front tires ur probably gonna endo when u land

trx400ex
03-29-2002, 09:06 AM
land back tires first, then save up for some high dollar aftermarket shocks, there would be a night and day diffrence on your machine

03-29-2002, 10:35 AM
Better yet..land all wheels at the same time so your suspenson works together.

03-29-2002, 10:31 PM
You need to test the jumps a few times to get the feel.When you land what ever you do don't land on the front wheels.Try to land even or backtires first.

04-02-2002, 09:01 AM
Try to land rear wheels first,,and hit your gas right before your about to land,,it will soften up the landing tremendously..

DVS_Freestyler
04-02-2002, 05:21 PM
k i wanna know what's goin on here. on heuvos 4 on the freestyle part right before they land they hit the throttle real hard. whats the sense? is there thumb slipping er something? :D i mean iv hit jumps somewhat close like that but theres no need to rev your engine that much. they make things look a lot harder on that movie than they really are.

trx400ex
04-02-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by LBZfreestyler
k i wanna know what's goin on here. on heuvos 4 on the freestyle part right before they land they hit the throttle real hard. whats the sense? is there thumb slipping er something? :D i mean iv hit jumps somewhat close like that but theres no need to rev your engine that much. they make things look a lot harder on that movie than they really are.

slowly put down the crack pipe and back away...................

Wired
04-02-2002, 05:24 PM
i was wondering that same thing, they do make it look hard......

DVS_Freestyler
04-02-2002, 05:25 PM
what are you talkin about man?

Juggalo
04-02-2002, 05:30 PM
i read somewhere that nailing the gas before you land sitffens your rear shock so that would make the landing softer.

04-03-2002, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Juggalo
i read somewhere that nailing the gas before you land sitffens your rear shock so that would make the landing softer.

EXACTLY,,,it's not a must but it does soften the landing,,it's also a way to keep your nose up so you don't dive down..

Nausty
04-04-2002, 10:02 PM
I find landing with the gas on a must for me on a lot of the jumps I do. I have always had low perfermance shocks on my quads and jumping is my favorite thing to do and the best way I've learned and I pracitally got it to a science is to land rear as far back as possible so that the rear suspension is still going down as far as possible before it starts to rebound and then have your front shocks hit or it will kind of 'whip' down, and try to muscle around the the quad in the air so that you land with your front and rear tires aligned so that your rear end isn't beside you and that it isn't leaning and you the travel of the suspension goes against the way you are landing and gas it right before you land because of the tension it causes from the chain and tires accelerating causing the rear swing arm to pull down.

chris29
04-05-2002, 10:16 PM
Hiting the gas right before you land will also help your momentume and help you keep on going. So when you land you can keep on going, insted of landind and then hiting your gas you lose time in a race. Hit you gas and stay on it before you land and you will keep going and soften the landing.

flyin#5
04-06-2002, 10:53 AM
exactly what nausty said. it will put tension on the chain which will move the swingarm down. be carefull doing this b/c you could break a chain when you land.

250rampage
04-11-2002, 06:00 PM
What track have you been going to?