PDA

View Full Version : chain cleaning

panteramatt
07-08-2004, 12:44 PM
What is a safe way to clean a really gunked up o-ring chain? Are there any solvents that I can soak the chain in that are safe?

Rip_Tear
07-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Kerosene is recommend by Clymers service manual. I have done it a few times and it has cleaned the chain pretty well, I use an old tooth brush aswell. Be careful if you use the kerosene that you don't ignite it :D

sparky450AR
07-09-2004, 12:10 AM
I use carb and choke cleaner and a heavy duty plastic bristled brush. It makes the chain look brand new. Put the quad up on a stand, spray the carb and choke cleaner on and just press the brush firmly against the chain, repeat this. Dont cut off your hand, and make sure you oil your chain after the cleaning.

Sc0
07-12-2004, 08:14 AM
carb and choke cleaner

Both of those items can eat the rubber O-rings in a chain, (assuming you have a X or O-ring chain). Kerosine, a pan, and a nylon toothbrush or similar. To regrease I saw an article somewhere about melting some synthetic grease in a pan/pot then dipping the chain in for a certain amount of time. (crotchrocket article) Something about the grease will seep through the O-rings and stay put for awhile...

On my old chain I used WD-40 and ridden the bike around to clean then sprayed on Chain Wax, I pulled the chain off with 97hrs on it and the O-rings still looked good. On my new chain I'll clean it in Kerosine and do the grease method to see if it or my sprockets will last even longer than before.

sparky450AR
07-13-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Sc0
Both of those items can eat the rubber O-rings in a chain, (assuming you have a X or O-ring chain). Kerosine, a pan, and a nylon toothbrush or similar. To regrease I saw an article somewhere about melting some synthetic grease in a pan/pot then dipping the chain in for a certain amount of time. (crotchrocket article) Something about the grease will seep through the O-rings and stay put for awhile...

On my old chain I used WD-40 and ridden the bike around to clean then sprayed on Chain Wax, I pulled the chain off with 97hrs on it and the O-rings still looked good. On my new chain I'll clean it in Kerosine and do the grease method to see if it or my sprockets will last even longer than before.

I've always used carb and choke cleaner, and have never had a problem with o-rings dissapearing, but maybe I should switch to kerosene.:D

XCAdam89
07-14-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Kerosene is recommend by Clymers service manual.

If kerosene is reccomended, then it must not harm anything :macho

red2004 TRX450R
07-14-2004, 09:06 AM
I all ways use WD40
After a ride I spray down the chain with WD40 then hose it off. And if its still got chit on it I spray it down again and use a soft nylon brush and then spray it down with the hose. You can do it while the chain is still on the bike. Pulse the WD40 repels water and keeps the chain from rusting till you can get chain wax or what ever u use on it.

I have a chain the is more than 3 years old and it still looks brand new.

Myrtle150
07-15-2004, 03:16 PM
WD-40 and some elbow grease :D :D i love that stuff