PDA

View Full Version : New to it all.

450rEdge
07-08-2004, 07:34 AM
First let me start by saying that I've raced different quads all my life up until around 10 years ago at which time I haven't ridden one since. Anyhow, I bought a pretty shiny new black '05 450r this past week. I just have a few questions that I can't really find answers to even searching. I dont ride my quad as hard as someone hitting the track daily etc. I ride mine on country roads, farm land. The hardest mine revs is when I'm going through the gears. I dont think I've found the rev limiter yet actually (only owned it a week). anyhow..

1)Riding it more sedately like this how often are the valves going to need resetting and exactly how hard are these to set? I set them on all my other bikes, but they have screw/locknut rocker arm setups, not shims.

2)Many people are telling me to use clutch to get into first, then only clutch if I want to, that clutching is unnecessary after the initial launch..

3)I dont jump, I want a fairly cush ride compared to most of the youngsters on here, I already backed off on both rebound and compression a good bit from stock, would backing off of preload make it a little less stiff without dropping the ride height too low.

4)What is the most common method of keeping my pretty shiny black bike looking new? Car wax?

Thanks for the reading and have fun out there!

kazpr
07-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Good questions :)

bradley300
07-08-2004, 09:36 AM
i can help you on keeping the black looking good. go out and buy a gallon can of wd-40 and a spray bottle, now every time your done washing your quad, spray it down with the good stuff, just not on the seat or brakes!lol

ive also heard usung tire foam works good, might try it after i run out of wd

chris450R
07-08-2004, 09:45 AM
hey man, bet that new '05 black one looks sweet! yeah you can back off the preload, it will only change the ride height about an inch or so. no biggy. but don't get too soft with the suspension, you still need it to perform well! shoot if you haven't yet get out there and just give it hell and you'll get a rush and want to do it more. c-ya, chris

twisted threads
07-08-2004, 12:17 PM
450rEdge Welcome to EXriders!:D Those are some good questions.... I will give you my $.02 :cool:

how often are the valves going to need resetting and exactly how hard are these to set?
I don't really know about this one because Im in the same boat you are..... I have not messed with the shims before.

Many people are telling me to use clutch to get into first, then only clutch if I want to
I Always use my clutch, Im sure using the clutch is easier on the tranny to.

What is the most common method of keeping my pretty shiny black bike looking new? Car wax?
I use pledge some times and I also like to use ArmorAll wipes.

Hammer trx450r
07-08-2004, 02:49 PM
Good answers

to the shim question they are little round metal shims with a # on it. If you have too much play you will buy a new shim with the correct # (if the shim # is lets say .011 and you need .002 to make it right youi will buy a .013shim) dig it?

Welcome to Exriders:cool:

You will know everything within 2 months of being here:blah: