PDA

View Full Version : vs. raptor

glenfoto
07-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Last weekend, I was draggin against my family in a dry lakebed... nice and smooth.

The only remotely formidable competition was my brother on his Raptor 660r. We are both stock. I smoked him every time. 4-5 races.\

Is this expected? Or does he not know how to ride? Also, I am 40 lbs heavier than him.... should I be proud, or does he need riding lessons?

Long story short.. i don't race people much.. but I smoked him. Just curious if smoking Craptors is the norm, or a fluke. Remember, I'm talking stock bikes... so don't start with the aftermarket possibilities. lol

Peace.

Glen

RedRaider
07-07-2004, 07:47 PM
Yeah smoking a Raptor should be the norm. I have both and i think my 450 would smoke my raptor and it's piped and jetted. So a stock raptor shouldn't even be close.

MY450R
07-08-2004, 06:48 AM
yes you'll def beat a craptor any day my friend has a heavily and i mean heavily modded raptor and i win every time and i only have a slip on

kgbg
07-08-2004, 09:43 AM
When the YFZ's came out, all the Raptor guys lined up against them at the dunes, to thier surprise, they all lost. Same thing happened when the 450Rs came out. I weigh 230,and you better have more than a piston in your Raptor to beat me on my 450R. Its hard to get a Raptor to race now. When they do, they have engine work.

Limited686
07-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Thats kinda funny my Stock Raptor is faster top speed then my brothers 450r.

You have to remind yourself that the 450r is a race quad, it has a engine that rev's a hella alot faster then the 660. I am not trying to take anything away from the 450r it is a very nice bike, but when you start acting like your big stuff because you won a drag race vs a trail bike and you have a race bike thats kinda dumb.

04'400ex'er
07-08-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Limited686

You have to remind yourself that the 450r is a race quad, it has a engine that rev's a hella alot faster then the 660. I am not trying to take anything away from the 450r it is a very nice bike, but when you start acting like your big stuff because you won a drag race vs a trail bike and you have a race bike thats kinda dumb. I think it is a slight understatment to say the raptor is only a trail quad, and if it remotly was, reason would be because of the top-heaviness and other minor factors. Not the motor.

EvilEwok
07-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Going along with what the guy before had just said about craptor's just being trail bikes, its not very fair for you to say 450r's are full form race bikes. When realistically they can be used for anything you throw at it. They are perfect as trail bikes, put some sand tires on and they are king of the drag strip, or put some mx rubbers on and your an mx star. A few modifications here and there and it turns into a race bike. But in stock form, no, it's far from a race bike.

TrxTex
07-09-2004, 12:16 PM
One of my riding buddies has a stock raptor. We only raced twice....I guess he didnt care much for picking the pebbles out of his chest. In other words...you cant compare the 2 off the start.

WOracing
07-09-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by MY450R
yes you'll def beat a craptor any day my friend has a heavily and i mean heavily modded raptor and i win every time and i only have a slip on

must not be "heavily modded" then

BlackRaptor
08-14-2004, 07:04 PM
You know I have a raptor and yea its a Craptor but to find out how fast something is need to divide its HP by its weight. To find its power to weight ratio. For Example:

My Raptor: Which isn't "Heavily Modded"
42/380=.1105

A stock yfz450
39/350=.1114

So I would lose in a drag to Yfz, also mine revs slower to but has better torque so that is all your gearing. So your smoking crack if you think your stock CRF of YFZ can walk all over "Heavily Modded" Raptors:eek2:

PEPwalshZ440
08-14-2004, 07:30 PM
I knew the raptor was a screwup right from the second it came to the production line, a big quad with a big motor that was a tad faster than a z400 and a little faster than a 400ex....i mean seroiusly, also its so just big and top heavy, definetly not an MX quad.

Tumbleweed
08-15-2004, 01:09 AM
I concur Captain (s). I am not a racer either but am an above average rider. I like to just "punch around" knowing I would have my *** handed to me on an MX track, etc. with a bunch of guys who are out there several times a week.

Recently I had a chance to run against a guy with a built Raptor...really built, piston, piped...everything he could do. This is the the guy who in High School had a 70' Z-28, DZ-302 set up as a drag car...scary quick and now has his own auto repair business...anyway, he knows what he is doing way more than me. I was keeping up with him no problem when we were on the dunes 2 months ago. I won't "dis" any other bike/brand but....the 450R rocks!!!

450rboy
08-15-2004, 07:42 AM
well i know a kid that had a raptor and i could beat him no problem. then he got the yfz last saturday and i am still winning and we are both stock but we have the baffles out. but thats only because i beat him off the line cause i get a head a lil. but if we had a huge drag strip. i would lose because i think the yfzs are faster on top end than the 450r. and i only win if i don't screw up

Matt400ex_17
08-15-2004, 08:36 AM
My neighbor has a raptor with a full exhaust high compression piston but stock bore with an after market carb and cam and with my 450r with HRC kit it was all over from the drop of the green flag.

lukester720
08-15-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Limited686

You may be right, but your raptor is not gonna see top speed in a 300ft flat drag, even if it did that still wouldn't be near distance to catch the 450r. If top speed is all that matters to you your brother could switch to 22inch rears and a 15 tooth sprocket and that would put him into the 90's.

You are right, its not fair to compare a trail quad to a 450R, nevermind the r in 660R doesn't stand for trail quad does it? :rolleyes:

450rRIPPER
08-15-2004, 01:55 PM
when you start acting like your big stuff because you won a drag race vs a trail bike and you have a race bike thats kinda dumb. [/B]

Raptor 660R.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitinfo/1/atv/1/46/0/yamaha_660r_raptor.aspx

R3Concepts
08-15-2004, 03:27 PM
IMO its really easy to go overboard on raptors motorwork and actually go the wrong way with them, i.e. my friend has a 720 raptor(everything possible done to it, 6K in motor work) that was built by Southwest Powersports in Phoenix, and my 450R(sparks pipe, filter, jetting) pulls his raptor 6 bike lengths every time we race. We even switched bikes and my 450 walked on his bike again and again.

xsr_racing28c
08-15-2004, 07:57 PM
hey blackraptor i just want to let you know that just because you know the formula of power to weight ratio, that doesn't mean that the quad with the higher power to weight ratio will win a drag race...... think about it..... there are many different things that a rider can do to improve a machine while racing, just by the movements of his/her body.... also shifting has a play in it, and also how your quad is geared....... just thought i would throw that out there for a math wizard like you.....

and i just wanted to give props to Lukester for his little comment about the R in 660R....haha.... that was exactly what i was thinkin when someone said that the raptor was a trail quad.....maybe next year it will be called a 660T...... just a thought.....lol

~jason

freakystone
08-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by BlackRaptor
You know I have a raptor and yea its a Craptor but to find out how fast something is need to divide its HP by its weight. To find its power to weight ratio. For Example:

My Raptor: Which isn't "Heavily Modded"
42/380=.1105

A stock yfz450
39/350=.1114

So I would lose in a drag to Yfz, also mine revs slower to but has better torque so that is all your gearing. So your smoking crack if you think your stock CRF of YFZ can walk all over "Heavily Modded" Raptors:eek2:

That is BS... There are sooooo many other things that come into play.

Anyway what stock Raptor has 42 HP?

danyeo
08-16-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by freakystone
That is BS... There are sooooo many other things that come into play.

Anyway what stock Raptor has 42 HP?

I don't think he means a stock Raptor has 42hp. I think he means his Raptor has 42 and it's most likely piped. I think a stock Raptor usually has around 35 hp. 450r probably have a round 38 and they weigh less than the Rappy so stock versus stock the 450r should win in a drag. However i can easily see a piped a jetted Raptor winning in a drag since they can get as much of a 10hp gain from a good pipe. Seems that on this forum the 450r can beat highly modded Raptors but on Bluetraxx a piped Raptor walks all over a piped 450r, go figure!

Mango
08-17-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by PEPwalshZ440
I knew the raptor was a screwup right from the second it came to the production line, a big quad with a big motor that was a tad faster than a z400 and a little faster than a 400ex....i mean seroiusly, also its so just big and top heavy, definetly not an MX quad.

A tad faster than a Z400 and a little faster than a 400ex.
If you are talking about top speed that's one thing, but how fast you get there is another.
Yamaha and HONDA are both putting out some good 450's, but it seems like most people are so obsessed with having the fastest or talking about what's fastest that they just tear down every other bike made. I have 3 other Hondas, I'm just not stuck on one brand. I like the 450R, YFZ, and the Raptor.
If you have some seat time you know that the RIDER is just as important as the bike. I have a piped/jetted Raptor. I think it runs pretty good, probably not the fastest bike ever made. What does it matter anyway?
Calling the Raptor a screw-up is just plain ignorant. The last I saw it was one of the top selling quads ever. I also pretty sure Yamaha spent alot of time and money trying to make it worth the money.

No flame intended, just pointing out the obvious.

Mango

quadrcr161
08-17-2004, 02:48 PM
the only reason i see the raptor selling as much as it has is just because it is a 660. people like to use the cc's as a bragging point when they dont know much about riding. im not talking about anyone in here but i have ran across people that throw out the 660cc like everyone should bow down to it because its bigger then a lot of other atvs. they think they need the biggest quad around and they see its a 660 and everything else is a 400 (z400 and 400ex) so they go for it, and all its used for is putting through trails or trying to show off.

Mango
08-17-2004, 03:02 PM
I can see your point. In fact, that is why I have the Raptor that I own. My brother in law read and thought it was the most advanced and fastest quad available at the time. But, when the yfz came out, he realized it was built more to his style of riding. He bought the YFZ and I got a good deal on the Raptor. I like the way it rides and I like the revers, especially when he has to use his man-you-pull system. :D

Mango

ATC350X 85
08-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Just for the record I was racing a raptor the other day in drag races. He had a white bros pipe as far as i could see. Im stock other than a 13 T front sprocket, depending on who got the better holeshot and the better lane determined who won. But when i got the holeshot i was gone!!:devil:

Antnee77
08-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by lukester720
You may be right, but your raptor is not gonna see top speed in a 300ft flat drag, even if it did that still wouldn't be near distance to catch the 450r. If top speed is all that matters to you your brother could switch to 22inch rears and a 15 tooth sprocket and that would put him into the 90's.

You are right, its not fair to compare a trail quad to a 450R, nevermind the r in 660R doesn't stand for trail quad does it? :rolleyes:

22" rear tires and a 15 tooth sprocket would put a 450R in the 90's?!?!?! That sounds a little scary on a quad! Btw, that's a front sprocket, right? :eek2:

lukester720
08-19-2004, 06:14 PM
Yes, the front sprocket.

08-19-2004, 09:15 PM
mine doesnt feel like im doing 90 with my 22" razrs...do 2" in the rear with the stock sprocket make thast big of a difference?

lukester720
08-20-2004, 05:28 AM
Mike, the front sprocket is a 14, you would need to go up to a 15. The 15 tooth sprocket and 22inch tires is what they ran in the baja 1000 and it was clocked in the high 90's so the average 450r should be in the low 90's easily.

08-20-2004, 08:05 AM
so im doing 90 when I top out going down my road? wow thats fast..i thought it was just going a little faster then my old stock 400ex too..lol...is it bad for the engine to rev when topping out so high..it sound slike it doesnt like it...my 400ex would never rev this high when I used to top out

Antnee77
08-20-2004, 08:13 AM
That's because a 400ex is not as high revved as a 450R.

REDARMYRACER
08-21-2004, 10:24 AM
the only craptor that can beat me is one with 10 grand in it...

hahahahahhahahahahahhahaha

REDARMYRACER
08-21-2004, 10:24 AM
the only craptor that can beat me is one with 10 grand in it...

hahahahahhahahahahahhahaha

Raptorride
08-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Well my best frined has a 450r we ride every day sometimes i win sometimes he wins this is on pavement he never pulls more than half a quad length on me but if the rap gets the hole shot it will take the 450 by quite a few quad lengths i think its becuase no matter what if im behind the raptor will catch it and wheni do catch him if im behind he gives up. I dont care how bull headed you guys are the raptor is a ***** to launch but if it gets the holeshot which it should get if you keep it down its hard to touch and the raptor does have alot of more mod potential than the r. I know you guys are prolyl gonna be pissed but i got the saddle time on both so i say both bikes are great and really damn close in a drag. We are both stock.. beisdes baffles out

R3Concepts
08-21-2004, 06:31 PM
The raptor has much more mod potential? Right.

400exbiggun
08-21-2004, 08:51 PM
might be getting off topic but

say you have a raptor and a 450r and ride the exact amount of time the exact same riding style...which motor topend wise will last longer or will they last the same?

Raptorride
08-22-2004, 12:52 PM
well really idk about the reliabilty if both taken care of i dont really know nor do i care. And yes the raptor i think has alot more modding potetial motor wise its really restricted and ther 450 flows pretty well in stock trim. Im jsut callin it from what ive seen i like the 450 dont get me wrong but i like how the raptor makes it power a lil better.

Antnee77
08-22-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by 400exbiggun
might be getting off topic but

say you have a raptor and a 450r and ride the exact amount of time the exact same riding style...which motor topend wise will last longer or will they last the same?

You're not serious, are you?

MY450R
08-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Antnee77
I THINK SO
of course the 450 isnt out long enough to determine reliability issues yet but i think its fair to say 450R ALL THE WAY!!!!!!

400exbiggun
08-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Antnee77

no i just like to post questions to get stupid responses like yours:huh

what was there something wrong with that question...holy **** man i was asking a simple question. You can just keep your mouth shut and not make smartass remarks

it was just a question about reliability. Honda is suposed to make top notch item...just asking a question

Antnee77
08-23-2004, 12:56 PM
I wasn't trying to make a smartass remark; no reason to get all hot about it. I thought you were asking a rhetorical question, and saying that the Honda would definitely outlast the Raptor. Didn't mean it the way you took it. ;)