PDA

View Full Version : prob with the blaster i just bought

thursday
07-07-2004, 07:06 PM
well any ways, i bought a 91 blaster from a friend as a "fixer upper" quad, heres the deal, everything is hooked up correctly, clutch and throttle are perfect, jetting is perfect, brand new spark plug, cleaned air filter and the cylinder and piston are in good shape and the reeds are also in great condition, the blaster is bone stock, well anyways, for what ever reason it wont start, the iginition coil was replaced and still nothing but whenever i kick it the lights go on, does that mean im getting some spark out of it?? i didnt get to a spark check cuz its raining over here....so i think it can be something with the stator, or the ignition assembly, idk what do with it, Any ideas on the problem??

Toadz400
07-07-2004, 08:52 PM
I know there's not a big chance of this being the case, but make sure that the wires are all good. This happened to my Banshee right before I was up to drag on the ice this winter, the wire to the killswitch on the handlebar froze and snapped. I didn't find that out until after I ordered new coils. So take apart the lightswitch thinger and make sure all the wires are intact.

Honda4trax250x
07-07-2004, 09:22 PM
have you checked to see if its getting fuel and compression? always start their, back to basics. it sure sounds like you have spark however.

Atreyu
07-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Steve, eat cha' raman noodles!

Toadz400
07-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Honda4trax250x
have you checked to see if its getting fuel and compression? always start their, back to basics. it sure sounds like you have spark however.

You can't be sure if it's getting spark or not. He needs to check to see if there is any first, that would be the best thing to do. My Banshee's lights would light up when it wasn't getting any spark, so going by the fact that the lights are coming on isn't the correct way to go.

bradley300
07-07-2004, 10:49 PM
DONT GIVE IT GAS!

i made this miastake and almost ended up rebuildin the motor b4 i realized, lol try this:
full choke, stab the throttle two times, then give it a healthy kick. should fire right up

SHOCKER
07-07-2004, 11:23 PM
yeah, shake the bike around to mix up all the mixed gas sitting in the tank if its been converted, then applying no throttle, choke on and kick the heck out of it, it might has some gas and oil just needing to be cleared

Rdhanded2
07-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by SHOCKER
yeah, shake the bike around to mix up all the mixed gas sitting in the tank if its been converted, then applying no throttle, choke on and kick the heck out of it, it might has some gas and oil just needing to be cleared

If it has sat, then that is probably the problem. If shaking if doesn't work then Try to pull start it. If no luck, take the carb off and clean it out completely. My buddy just sold his blaster and got a 400ex because we were working on that thing more than he was riding it.

roostin_dale
07-08-2004, 12:41 PM
If your not getting spark I bet you got a bad stator wire...

Let us know if it has spark or not....;)

quadrcr161
07-08-2004, 12:54 PM
pull the plug, put it in the cap and hold it next to the cylinder. (hold the rubber cap) kick it over and look for a small spark, or if your holding it wrong it will shock the piss out of you. once you have spark try checking the carb.

SHOCKER
07-08-2004, 01:30 PM
make sure all jets are clean, oh and if the lights were coming on when hes kikcing it its not the stator, its got be the coil if it has no spark and if it does have spark just check the carb, cleaan it with some carb cleaner