PDA

View Full Version : axle nut stuck

400exKy1e
07-07-2004, 06:22 PM
i just got a new LSR axle and took it to the local quad shop to swap it out with my stock one and they coulnt get the stock axle nut loose. they heated it up and tried everything.. anyone had this problem? or anyone have ideas of how i can get it off? thanks

outofsight
07-07-2004, 09:19 PM
You could cut it off and but a new one? Mine was a pain to get off so I put this one stuff my dad has the loosen things up in the treads of the nuts and then I could finally get it to budge.

TC426EX
07-07-2004, 09:44 PM
Man, you got a job ahead of you... You need to find the biggest pipe wrench you can find, and then a pole or a BIG long extension to stick on the end. Then you need to get some fools over your house and have one of them sit on the quad holding the brakes. Then you need 2-3 other strong fools working that bar with you intil it gets loose. Mine was on there so tight I actually bent the extension bar (and it was THICK pipe) and wasted a can of PB blaster on it before it cracked loose. I promptly threw that thing in the trash and got a RAD pinchbolt locknut.....End of headache!!!

400exKy1e
07-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by TC426EX
Man, you got a job ahead of you... You need to find the biggest pipe wrench you can find, and then a pole or a BIG long extension to stick on the end. Then you need to get some fools over your house and have one of them sit on the quad holding the brakes. Then you need 2-3 other strong fools working that bar with you intil it gets loose. Mine was on there so tight I actually bent the extension bar (and it was THICK pipe) and wasted a can of PB blaster on it before it cracked loose. I promptly threw that thing in the trash and got a RAD pinchbolt locknut.....End of headache!!!

thats exactly what we tried, we had 180 and 200lb guys with a huge wrench and cheater bar and someone holding the quad down. it acutally bent his HUGE wrench

07-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Chissel and hammer is what it took to get mine off. It ruined the stock axle nut but I didnt' care because I had a replacement one...

All other means of doing it didnt' work, it was the chissel method or cut it off...:cool:

UglyMotha™
07-08-2004, 01:06 PM
heat up real nice with a torch and she'll glide right off like butter, and i'm not talking bout no sissy propane torch the only thing those are good for is lighting cigarettes you need a cutting torch

BlueZ440
07-08-2004, 01:20 PM
yeah I had my homeboy(180) and 5 spare tires from my car on top of the quad and we still lifted the quad up..good luck. at the end we got it out.

poon
07-13-2004, 11:58 AM
I heated mine up with a cutting torch for about 30 seconds and it slid right off.

insaneracin2003
07-13-2004, 12:16 PM
This aught to be interesting since i only have my lil half pint son who weighs about 28 pnds soaking wet and my wife who weighs about 120 to help me get my lock-nut off:huh :confused:

Xowner
07-13-2004, 01:16 PM
i took a grinder to mine ground it down as far as i could without hurting the axel and took a chilzil and split it the the rest and it cam right off then i tossed that nut in the trash and got a pinch nut like said!

Florida400EX
07-13-2004, 03:11 PM
heh, my stock locknut has been there since 02... with some rust on it. I had a buddy hold the breaks, and I just used a big *** pair of vice grips to get it off. Just remember it's reverse threaded.

promisc
07-16-2004, 07:48 AM
huh? Turn it the right way, the threads are inverted. Start by loosing the lock nut, turn the nut counter-clockwise to screw it to the swingarm like 1/2-3/4 inch, remove the circlip, then turn it back clockwise to remove the nut. It is not supposed to be that hard to get it off if you turn it the righ way. ;)

Pappy
07-16-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by insaneracin2003
This aught to be interesting since i only have my lil half pint son who weighs about 28 pnds soaking wet and my wife who weighs about 120 to help me get my lock-nut off:huh :confused:

if needed, ratchet the quad down to your trailer or in the back of your truck, say to the bumper. then give her hell:macho

Cole Trane
07-16-2004, 08:40 AM
I used a pipe wrench and a hammer. It took about 20 minutes of no movement what so ever until it finally started slowly loosening. PAIN IN THE @$$!!