PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle Problems Need Help Asap...

89rexxin
07-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Hey guys....alright im new to all of this, and last week I had a bad wreck...well I bent my axle...so I bought a new one. I went to remove the stock one and the rear hub that holds the brake wont freaking come off....So I cant get the axle to slide out....is there something Im doing wrong....??!?!

ps. Ive tried wacking the sucker with a hammer and prying.....no luck yet. Help??!?!

TC426EX
07-07-2004, 05:12 AM
Did you remove the big snap ring? If you did, good... That caliper mount plate is a beotch to get off especially the first time. You just gotta he-man it off of there no other easy way as far as I know. Next time you take it off will be easier. (like when you get an aftermarket axle, which wouldnt be a bad idea...)

Rip_Tear
07-07-2004, 06:20 AM
The first time I took my brake hub off, I had to use a gear puller, and the suction on it is still pretty strong...

muff
07-07-2004, 08:59 AM
you could always try to hit/pull the axle out instead, and by doing that the brake hub will slide off

Sc0
07-07-2004, 09:40 AM
I'm not familiar with Honda's but on the Z400 the brake hub is pressed on while the sprocket hub slides on and off easily... Removal of the sprocket hub is all that is necessary to slide out the axle.

muff
07-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Sc0
I'm not familiar with Honda's but on the Z400 the brake hub is pressed on while the sprocket hub slides on and off easily... Removal of the sprocket hub is all that is necessary to slide out the axle.

nah see its opposite on the honda. the sprocket hub is pressed on and the brake hub just sits on splines. The honda axle comes out the left side of the quad.

300exOH
07-07-2004, 09:54 AM
I just removed the locknut snapring and hub and used a block of wood and a hammer to hit it from the opposite side. Just make sure you put the castle nut on backwards so you don't mess up the threads before you go beating on it.

Sc0
07-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by muff
nah see its opposite on the honda. the sprocket hub is pressed on and the brake hub just sits on splines. The honda axle comes out the left side of the quad.

That explains why I couldn't find a anti-fade sprocket hub for a Z... As for the Axle, it might just need a good whack or two to unseat things.