PDA

View Full Version : my 400ex is eating rear pads help !

the yazer
07-06-2004, 08:14 PM
what can i do about my rear brake pads. it seem like i need a new set every month ! and what kinda of pads last the longest i tryed stock, ebc, and galfer

o and my rotor is good, smooth no nicks and straight i also removed the e brake and put a block off plate on

i dont ride in mud so can someone tell me wtf is going on!

Bill Fuller
07-06-2004, 08:24 PM
It sounds like your caliper could be rubbing because it is not "floating"with the rotor.You need to take the caliper off and get it loosened up so that it slides side to side on the post.You caliper when properly cleaned and adjusted should move side the side with the slight wobble that most all rotors have.

Natertot426ex
07-06-2004, 08:49 PM
another this is to make sure your brake pedel is moving freely. So when you step on it it will come up. This pivot point will get rusted up and will cause the pads to run out quicker

Toadz400
07-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Natertot426ex
another this is to make sure your brake pedel is moving freely. So when you step on it it will come up. This pivot point will get rusted up and will cause the pads to run out quicker

This happened to me, my brake pedal soon acted as my E-brake, I could push it down and it'd stay down. Take out the brake pedal and clean the hole that it sits in and make sure to put anti-seize in there, also clean off the part that goes in the hole and put some anti-seize in there. It's always nice to put your thing in a clean hole;) .

Meek
07-07-2004, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
It sounds like your caliper could be rubbing because it is not "floating"with the rotor.You need to take the caliper off and get it loosened up so that it slides side to side on the post.You caliper when properly cleaned and adjusted should move side the side with the slight wobble that most all rotors have.

Also clean off your slide pins for your pads, and lube them up with antiseize

Rip_Tear
07-07-2004, 06:23 AM
If you are using your rear brake it could just be the wear... Brake pads won't last forever (obiviously) but if your over using it that could be the problem.

ridesa02400EX
07-07-2004, 12:11 PM
could the e brake be out of adjusment and the pads rubbing on the rotot?

Spikers400
07-07-2004, 02:17 PM
The standard ebc suck terribly. I used them up in one day. I went back to my dealer and complained and he suggested a heavier duty ebc pad, it was like 30 bucks. I forget the name but i have had them for almost 3 months and they are still in good condition.

YLW400
07-07-2004, 02:20 PM
I have a pair of Sintered pads, and they have lasted forever....

Bill Fuller
07-07-2004, 05:05 PM
Mohave(?sp) pads will work also and they are thicker than stock for the same price.I would just about put money on it that the caliper is not floating with the rotor,no matter what kind of pads you put on it they will wear out until you fix the problem.

the yazer
07-07-2004, 08:56 PM
thanks guys but i already checked the caliper and it moves fine it must just be my driving style (hard on the brakes at the last second) but my front ones seem to last longer? and i use them more

deathman53
07-07-2004, 08:57 PM
I used to have that problem with my atc250r, noting was wrong with the caliper, pedal, everything was lubed up, I switched disc, still. I put on a wave rotor and problem gone, using standard braking carbon pads I'm at 80% 4 months later(also I should note that I hardly ever use the rear brake(even before the wave rotor), the last few times I went riding it didn't even work, had to bleed it). The wave rotor worked for me, maybe the rotor was getting clogged with dirt and acting as a abraisive.. It was nerve racking to be on the stock pads on the front brake and almost every 2 times I rode to replace the rear pads(chattsworth set the record for 4 hours and sinered pads were gone)