PDA

View Full Version : List your problems with 450r

crazyatvn
07-06-2004, 07:50 PM
Can you guys post any problems you have had with the 450R. I was thinking about buing one and would like to know what I am getting in to. I ride and race in the woods so if thinks are weak I would like to be prepared for it.

Thanks

shaff107
07-06-2004, 07:53 PM
rear shock DOESNT have enough travel. I race GNCC and frames havent had any problems breaking any frames.

Karizz
07-06-2004, 07:54 PM
Okay heres my list of problems with My 450r..."Keep in mind I've had it since Jan 27th 2004 and I probably have a @200 + hours on it"....well heres my list:

--
:blah:

07-06-2004, 07:56 PM
My only problem is I don't have enough money to buy all the aftermarket stuff I want. But I'm gettin there.

Hammer trx450r
07-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Karizz
Okay heres my list of problems with My 450r..."Keep in mind I've had it since Jan 27th 2004 and I probably have a @200 + hours on it"....well heres my list:

--
:blah:

DITTO

tkwarrior
07-06-2004, 08:12 PM
No problems here.

Duncanracer
07-06-2004, 08:39 PM
the rear plastic scratches up easily

ROGERS
07-06-2004, 08:43 PM
I have only experienced one problem. It usually happens directly after the gate is dropped at the races and it keeps me from getting the holeshot every time. I'm not sure what this acronymn stands for but they call it the YFZ.:mad: :cuss:

Duncanracer
07-06-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by ROGERS
I have only experienced one problem. It usually happens directly after the gate is dropped at the races and it keeps me from getting the holeshot every time. I'm not sure what this acronymn stands for but they call it the YFZ.:mad: :cuss:

actually i think the problem is the lack of fast twitch fibers in your hands and feet, and possibly a lack of hand eye coordination

or it could be the yfz's are faster LOL

i also dont like how my skid plate doesnt protect all of the linkage, but i ahvent had a problem yet(knock on wood)

Rogers_Dad
07-06-2004, 08:59 PM
I need more places to ride.:mad:

Scro
07-06-2004, 09:33 PM
the screw that holds the rear plastic at the bottom rattled loose and fell out:mad:

04'400ex'er
07-06-2004, 09:39 PM
I have only experienced one problem. It usually happens directly after the gate is dropped at the races and it keeps me from getting the holeshot every time. I'm not sure what this acronymn stands for but they call it the YFZ.:mad: :cuss: I live in Tahlequah. Did you buy yours at Bartlesville Cycle Sports.

WhiteBros400ex
07-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Bent axle, idk how i did it but its bent a little bit has anyone else had this problem?

TrX450rKiD
07-07-2004, 07:45 AM
My only problem is that my friends can't keep up with me anymore;)

atvmx14
07-07-2004, 07:54 AM

I HEAR YA BUT I DID THIS TWICE THAT DAY WISH I DID IT EVERY RACE!!
http://www.gitterdoneracing.com/Images/8jt5-16.jpg

Thats me the honda in front by a nose hair!!

red2004 TRX450R
07-07-2004, 07:54 AM
None
Just what after marked parts to but on.

I started this thread and not nothing it was kind of a joke!!!

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109780

r450rr
07-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by atvmx14

wow according to every magazine that has ever been published about the 450r,.. says it cant do what u just did... :rolleyes:

i guess there not always right///lol:D

BYRD-MAN
07-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by atvmx14

Or is that you in the very back of the pack. :eek2: :D :D

Cody_300ex
07-07-2004, 11:52 AM
I can't afford one. :(

atvmx14
07-07-2004, 12:50 PM
no thats me in the front.... Nice though!!:D

Yeah you can't believe everything in the magazines' its a who pays who thing there!!!

atvrider12764
07-07-2004, 12:53 PM
the only problem was the defective bolt on the oil filter cover and some other bolts looked really bad

allmixedup047
07-07-2004, 01:26 PM
well i have had a couple problems, my stock slip on caved in and my axle is tweeked. oh yeah thats because i got rear ended by a banshee that wasnt fast enough to keep up and who's brakes sucked to bad to get stopped. other than that i havnt had any problems, other than spending all my time with it because it just looks so damn good.:blah:

Karizz
07-07-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by atvrider12764
the only problem was the defective bolt on the oil filter cover and some other bolts looked really bad

Pat,Thats because you over tightened it and you need to throw away the taiwanese socket set you bought at the Piggly Wiggly!:blah:

atvrider12764
07-07-2004, 01:58 PM
damn dave i did not over tighten it and when i was taking the case off to get to the cracked bolt i took all the bolts out of the case and they where all messed up too....and i use craftsman dave

crazyatvn
07-07-2004, 05:29 PM
So nothing to bad then? I heard they have a few crank problems? Anyone else hear this too?

trick450r
07-07-2004, 07:30 PM
I was at southwick a few weeks ago and we got vids of the holeshot and these 3 450r's came in 1-2-3 into the first corner...450r got 7/8 of the holeshots all day!!!

Shawn H
07-07-2004, 07:43 PM
I have had no problems with my 450r yet except for the stock heat shield on the pipe the bolts rattled out.

I have no problem busting holeshots with my 450r either.

450rGuy78
07-07-2004, 07:53 PM
I've only had 2 small probs so far. The left front fender bracket broke about a week after I bought it, but it was an obvious bad weld once I got it off and looked at at. I mysteriously lost one of the radiator louvers and don't see how it got out in the first place. It's a pain to pop back in if you don't take the fenders off. Anyway, my dealer ordered the two pieces, and it cost me a whole 2 bucks. He warrantied the bracket and split the cost of the louver. No complaints other than that.

450r Guy '78

Duncanracer
07-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by 450rGuy78
I've only had 2 small probs so far. The left front fender bracket broke about a week after I bought it, but it was an obvious bad weld once I got it off and looked at at. I mysteriously lost one of the radiator louvers and don't see how it got out in the first place. It's a pain to pop back in if you don't take the fenders off. Anyway, my dealer ordered the two pieces, and it cost me a whole 2 bucks. He warrantied the bracket and split the cost of the louver. No complaints other than that.

450r Guy '78

my other problems have been that some of the bolts were on TIGHT!!!

couldnt get those son of a b*tches out....

ended up using a huge torque wrench and a pipe....

thump4863
07-07-2004, 08:18 PM
Mine had a bad casting inside the engine....I had maybe 10 hours on it and was on my first race.....during the race I heard a loud ticking and smelt oil....something in the engine got jammed in the kick starter gear and it launched it out the back side of the motor. Put a hole about the size of a silver dollar right behind the kickstarter on the back of the case. The Honda shop said that there has only been a few cases of this occuring though. Good thing warranty covered it :) Bad thing is they had it a month to fix it :rolleyes:

FORDMOTO
07-07-2004, 08:41 PM
2 of our local 450Rs have cracked sub frames with only about 5 rides on them, one broke at rear and on both sides, other broke at left side of rear cross brace (under rear of seat) where it is welded, complete breaks not cracks, these are not MX bikes and are ridden by fast woods riders but no crashes either, no damage to bikes other than this so far, price of new OEM sub frame is steep, trying to weld but is tough to find right welder for this type of material, maybe an enterprising aftermarket supplier can fab up a chromoly sub frame that will take normal riding, so far this is the first weak link but we are keeping a watchful eye, really getting great results with the 450R so far,

kssandduner
07-08-2004, 12:25 AM
I've only had 2 small probs so far. The left front fender bracket broke about a week after I bought it, but it was an obvious bad weld once I got it off and looked at at.
The exact same thing happened to mine! So then I decided I would just take my front fenders off, no such luck! The last time my R was in the shop, the mechanic must have overtightened the bolt that holds the plastic onto the gas tank, cause when I went to loosen the bolt, the insert just spins in the gas tank! We tried everything we could think of to get that bolt out with no luck!:mad:

Joe

Bretmd94
07-08-2004, 01:55 PM
that sucks about the subframes. I have givin mine some extreme pounding with me over shooting jumps by about 30 ft. (it wasnt good) No problems for mine though. Isnt that under warrantee if it broke under normal riding?

jasontrx450r
07-08-2004, 11:45 PM
the first problem i had was the heat sheild bolts coming out..and just today i couldnt move the kick starter out to kick it so my dad had me take it off and grease it..then it wouldnt stay in when i rode:eek2:

Punk'd
07-09-2004, 03:42 AM
Yea iv also heard problems with the subframes is it bad?:confused:

Trujeepr
12-01-2004, 08:38 AM
I guess I overtightened the Fender bolts in the Tank a little to much, and now they are turming in the tank, how do I get it out without damaging or removing the tank???
:eek: :eek2: :ermm:

Shawn H
12-01-2004, 09:00 AM
Your proabably SOL:(

I broke my frame in half and the Subframe has broken,its now Gusseted and holding well. I also had broken the frame tube under the radiator that connects the 2 sides of the frames together near the rear of the bottom A-arms.

I have not heard anyone else's thats broken there and I would post a pic but I didnt even notice it until I was wrapping it to be shipped to be Gusseted and P/C>

Jersey450R
12-01-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by snowgasm
Your proabably SOL:(

I broke my frame in half and the Subframe has broken,its now Gusseted and holding well. I also had broken the frame tube under the radiator that connects the 2 sides of the frames together near the rear of the bottom A-arms.

I have not heard anyone else's thats broken there and I would post a pic but I didnt even notice it until I was wrapping it to be shipped to be Gusseted and P/C>

Is that an 04'? My 05' isnt welded like that. mine looks to have stacked dimes all around.

Shawn H
12-01-2004, 09:13 AM
Its an 04 and the reason it broke there is there is a tube on the inside of the frame that is welded in to stregthen the rear of the frame and shock and it ends right wear it broke. They should have extended it to at least the motor mount bracket.

The weld has nothing to do with it it broke after the weld not at the weld>

Also the rear corner of the frame is cast and then welded to steel I dont think thats a good idea? Maybe it is idk?

The other spot it broke down below near the lower rear of A-arms it broke the tube in half and not at the weld either.

Jersey450R
12-01-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Rogers_Dad
I need more places to ride.:mad:

I'll second that.

MIA450R
12-01-2004, 06:18 PM
The ONLY problem with my 450r is no-one can keep up with me.

Oh wait, the stock front bumper is junk...kick it hard and it folds. That's it.

Trujeepr
12-01-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by MIA450R
Oh wait, the stock front bumper is junk...kick it hard and it folds. That's it.

You better watch out by kicking her she just might kick back or through you off unexpectedly.

Martin Blair
12-01-2004, 06:49 PM
no problems here. The only thing i notciued were the engine mount bolt were kinda loose and it was causng exsesive vibration, tighted them up and its good to go. I am gussting my frame this winter though, especailly arround rear motor mounts/shock area.

300racer
12-02-2004, 02:36 AM
the only probs I have had with mine is the front bumper bending and the rear grab bar also bent when it hit the road while goin around 45 to 50 lol. I ride the chit out of mine it has got prolly 30 hrs of racin and 30 to 40 hrs of hard trail riddin. I am not a big mx rider but I do ride at a local mx track called king city dirt riders and I jump a 65ft table top some times even comin up short and bottomin out the shock and have had no probs with the frame crackin (knock on wood). oh yeah the tie rods are kinda week IMO but don't hit anything and you don't have to worry about bending them :D

Shawn H
12-02-2004, 09:22 AM
14- 2hr XC Races, 1- 12hrs of america and about 60hrs of practice time maybe more on mine.

I also jump a lot at our local MX track and theres a 70ft table top I dont always clear but its not bad. I also have Custom Axis shocks so its not like there stockers or anything>

Just stating my experince :D