PDA

View Full Version : comparing shocks

cals400ex
07-06-2004, 07:50 PM
i am looking at a set of tripple rate works with rezzys and a set of elka tripple rate fronts that are bare (they don't even have rezzys). i just wanted to see which one would work best as they are now? i realize you can update both of them but without spending any more cash, how would they compare? they are both valved for the same weight too and both are standard travel.

these would be used for a variety of riding. jumping, trails, cruising, etc.

any suggestions would be great. thanks cal

07-06-2004, 08:08 PM
If the works are just AT steelers, then the Elka's will handle much better. Unless you run for more than 45 minutes none stop, I don't see shock fade being an issue with Elka's.

I've run works shocks before and they are good shocks. I don't have one negative thing to say about them. But going to Elka's all around afterward, the difference was huge.:macho

Florida400EX
07-06-2004, 10:00 PM
I say, you spend the extra couple hundred and get some TCS's! Great shocks!

redrunner
07-07-2004, 06:24 AM
I would go for the Elkas just because you have the chance, mine are triples w/o rezzies but i plan on that next year. As Rico said nothing bad to say about works just Elkas are an upgrade.

cdalejef
07-07-2004, 07:47 AM
Harlen runs the Elka's with no rezzy, he would be one to ask about those. I'd take the Elka's over the Works with out a doubt.

cals400ex
07-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by redrunner
I would go for the Elkas just because you have the chance, mine are triples w/o rezzies but i plan on that next year. As Rico said nothing bad to say about works just Elkas are an upgrade.

how much were your tripple rates without rezzy's new?

redrunner
07-07-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
how much were your tripple rates without rezzy's new?

$495.00 through C&D

zephead400ex
07-07-2004, 02:28 PM
Hey cal! I have Works triple rates w/ rezzies. HUGE improvement over stock. I ride trails, dunes, and just messing around. They work great. But like everyone else says, there is always something better but more money.

I would put money on it that you would be more than happy with these Works shocks.

Good luck.

Florida400EX
07-07-2004, 03:34 PM
My works shocks couldn't really hold up to the pressure of MX racing. They were just the regular works shocks with the rezzies. They were valved for 180 pounds on stock A-arms, and I weigh around 180, and I had stock A-arms. I went through 2 mid springs, they just cracked. They also didn't have great bottoming resistance, nor did they soak up much of the small stuff, and yes, they were serviced regularly. I sold them, and upgraded to the TCS shocks. I'd highly advise against works, but it's up to you.

PHIL_B54
07-08-2004, 03:26 PM
i did my first (and prob. my last) mx race over the 4th, and it was really my first ride with my works tripple rate with res. and i did a little trails the next day. they are set for 200-210 mx standard arms.

i cant say i can tell the difference on the trails, but i truly believe that i would have been in a world of hurt without them on the track. i landed BAD several times, and somehow stayed on the quad.

cals400ex
07-08-2004, 07:53 PM
my buddy just ordered a set of used works. he wasn't sure what to get. i actually have piggyback elkas with compression adjustment. i guess we will see how they compare. however, neither mine nor my friends are valved for our weight. :eek:

p@iNn3ck
07-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Rico
If the works are just AT steelers, then the Elka's will handle much better. Unless you run for more than 45 minutes none stop, I don't see shock fade being an issue with Elka's.

So in your opinion, if you had to start over and make a decision between Works trips w/ rezzies and Elka triples (no rezzie)... the Elkas would be the better choice??

(Hope so!):D