PDA

View Full Version : carrier bearing blues!!!!!!!!!

slow4ex
07-06-2004, 07:09 PM
i've got a small (big) problem, there was a little play in my rear axle some i decided it was time to replace the carrier bearing, no problem right, wrong the sprocket side--4 ball bearings came out and the big side of the bearing welded to the carier and the small side of the bearing welded to the axle. (if you look at the bearing from the side, there's metal, then sealed rubber and then small metal ring). after a few choice words, i cut the ring out of the carrier, it seems to be fine. the axle however is a different story, does anyone have a pic of the inside of the sprocket hub, so i know what to cut off??? it got so hot that i can't see a seem between the inside of the sprocket hub and what left of the bearing.
thanks for any and all help
andy:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

tigerdog
07-06-2004, 07:43 PM
i think its a bearing race it needs to come off
the inner race needs to ride on the axel as a ring fitt
meaning it fitts snug
try waiting until it cools completley and using a cold chisle and a hammer to split it
the race is made of hardened steel witch is strong but brittle
so place chissle squarely on area where balls roled and strike sharply
should split race and make it easy to remove ,try not to damage mounting surface
if nicked touch with file or sand paper to smooth out so new bearing will slide on,
hope ive been helpfull
tigerdog:cool:

slow4ex
07-06-2004, 07:45 PM
thanks for the help, i just can't see where the race starts and the hub ends, so i don't know where to chisle it!
thanks again
andy