PDA

View Full Version : If you were at the Daniel Boone GNC National, Need Help - Important, please look

TheJaspMan
07-06-2004, 12:25 PM
I am looking for anyone who was at the Daniel Boone ATV Nationals on Sat that got to see the Open-C class race around 2pm.

There was a very bad wreck on the foward step ups. The rider was on a Polaris Predator and was taken via air care to UK Hospital.

I am asking to hear from anyone who actually saw the accident. It's important that we know what happened. His condition is bad and we would like to know any details available.

Thanks

07-06-2004, 02:01 PM
Are you friends with this person Or is it a complete stranger that your worried about??

I wasn't there so I can't offer you any information but it seems like your pretty worried about this person and if it's a freind you should be able to get ahold of them. :confused:

If you know there name call the hospital and ask about them.

TheJaspMan
07-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Are you friends with this person Or is it a complete stranger that your worried about??

I wasn't there so I can't offer you any information but it seems like your pretty worried about this person and if it's a freind you should be able to get ahold of them. :confused:

If you know there name call the hospital and ask about them.

I'm not trying to reach him. I just left the hospital. My wife has been there since Sat when he first arrived. He a very close family friend and a teammate. We are there to assist his wife. And to make sure that they have everything they need.

And 'yes' we are worried. He is going into his fourth day not breathing on his own. And not able to communicate or control his movments. There is no spinal or neck injuries. His helmet was broken but does not have cranial bleeding. We are concerned about a few diffrent things and need to figure out what happened. The doctors are asking and we cannot tell them. But someone had to have seen it.

07-07-2004, 02:27 AM
STICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear man, I hope someone has some info for him.:(

tcyfz#3
07-07-2004, 09:28 PM
call the atva....iono if its that serious the call them

07-09-2004, 11:29 AM
He was a member of kentuckyriders.com and I found a link to some info on teh poor guy..

http://www.kentuckyriders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2140

Here's what the thread started off with.

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:03 pm Post subject: Hurt member needs prayers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A member of this forum, Philsan, took a really bad spill on Sat at the GNC MX Boone Nationals race. He was in the Open-C class and wreck on the final lap in the final 1/3 of the track. He was intebated (breathing tube in throat) trackside and taken via air-care to UK hospital in Lexington, KY.

He has not been breathing on his own since Sat. His lungs are torn. He has some severe head trauma, broken bones including a few ribs, collar bone and possibly others. He also has massive internal organ bruising and of course lots of external problems.

As of a couple hours ago he was put onto a full throat trach for breathing. This is a down step, but may be better in the long run. It's been days and he should be breathing on his own already. There is really too much unknow right now.

Here is a shot of his helmet. Now imagine the trauma that his head must have taken. Please keep him in your prayers and ask if you want any more info. We are looking for lots of moral support from local ATV riders and clubs.

TheJaspMan
07-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Saw it?!?!? Yes, I posted it. He is a member of several forums. I am not looking for the guy, I know him. He's my teammate and family friend.

jlhughes750
07-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Keep us posted please.

We'll keep him in our thoughts and prayers

remlapr
07-09-2004, 12:17 PM
I think Rico understands now. You guys need the info because he is still either completely unconscious or unable to communicate so he can't tell you himself what happened :(

Jaspman - I would suggest changing the title to "IF YOU WERE AT THE DANIAL BOONE GNC PLEASE READ!"

Me, Braff and Spincr have all rode with him before, he is a great fun loving guy and I really hate to hear about this happening to him. He is apparently in really bad shape and this is a very serious situation. Everyone please keep him in your prayers :(

Here is the pic of his helmet:

http://www.infernomxracing.com/images/phil/philwreck03.jpg

TheJaspMan
07-09-2004, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure, and this it the only forum that seems to be confused, but I'll get it figured out and switch the subject.

And yes he is in bad shape. Today looks a little better though. So we are keeping our fingers crossed and spending the entire weekend by his side. He may wake up soon.

Here is a shot of his shock. It came right up through the airbox at some point.

http://www.infernomxracing.com/images/phil/philwreck32.jpg

Ryan
07-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Damn :( ...

Keep us informed on his condition!

roostin_dale
07-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Are you talkin about the guy that wrecked on the supercross 6 and then got hit by a couple riders? I saw that whole thng if thats the wreck you are talking about. I was talking to and ATVA promoter and he said that the guy had to have a hole drilled in his skull to releave pressure from his brain:eek2:

Hope he gets better:( that was nasty

TheJaspMan
07-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
Are you talkin about the guy that wrecked on the supercross 6 and then got hit by a couple riders? I saw that whole thng if thats the wreck you are talking about. I was talking to and ATVA promoter and he said that the guy had to have a hole drilled in his skull to releave pressure from his brain:eek2:

Hope he gets better:( that was nasty

Nope. I know the one you are talking about though. That kid really took a beating too. But I think he is awake already.

Imagine looking at the six-packs from the main road. The jumps he was on were to the far left along the outside edge. It wasn't that bad of an area. Just a really bad wreck.

roostin_dale
07-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by TheJaspMan
Nope. I know the one you are talking about though. That kid really took a beating too. But I think he is awake already.

Imagine looking at the six-packs from the main road. The jumps he was on were to the far left along the outside edge. It wasn't that bad of an area. Just a really bad wreck.

oohhh, i think i remember that wreck....thats too bad man, hope he gets better...

TheJaspMan
07-09-2004, 01:44 PM
oohhh, i think i remember that wreck....thats too bad man, hope he gets better...

Me too.

That's why were looking for anyone who might have seen it. That area of the track wasn't watched by many, that's for sure!

TheJaspMan
07-09-2004, 02:59 PM
After six long days Phil has opened his eyes!!!! He has a long way to go. But that is a great start. He is not fully responding yet, but did respond to voices. He was told to squeeze the nurses hand and he did!!! He wasn't able to give a thumbs up, but I think he may be on the road to recovery. The left the trach in, but is allowing him to breath an average of 15 breaths a min in his own.

Thank you for all your support. This looks to have a happy beginning.

roostin_dale
07-09-2004, 09:56 PM
After six long days Phil has opened his eyes!!!! He has a long way to go. But that is a great start. He is not fully responding yet, but did respond to voices. He was told to squeeze the nurses hand and he did!!! He wasn't able to give a thumbs up, but I think he may be on the road to recovery. The left the trach in, but is allowing him to breath an average of 15 breaths a min in his own.

Thank you for all your support. This looks to have a happy beginning.

good to hear:) :cool:

TheJaspMan
07-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Day eight. Sorry it took so long to reply. We just got home from the hospital. We have been there since Friday afternoon.

He has now been moved from the trauma ICU to the 2nd stage ICU. This is the most important part of his journey. He is on full trach, but breathing on his own again. He is also off the haldol(?) which kept him sedated (I think). He is on morphine and atrapene(?).

He worded 'why?' and his wife and I tried our best to explain breifly and quickly. He said somthing else that has an 'F' word in it. I can only imagine what is was. That was on Sat. Nothing much else happend. He has a long, long way to go.

Thanks for all the thoughts. I will keep you updated. And provide more info tomorrow. Right now I need to de-stress.

Tommy 17
07-11-2004, 09:19 PM
thank god hes getting better!!!:)

Rrider4life8
07-12-2004, 07:50 PM
glad to hear he is doin better

spincr4hire
07-13-2004, 09:06 AM
Glad to hear Phil is doing better! thats great news!:)

TheJaspMan
07-13-2004, 09:24 AM
Day ten.

I wish I could say it's good news today, but it's not. He is taking a couple steps back right now. It will probably go back and forth for a few weeks.

Last night he was able to pull out his IVs and tube/s. He is now back in full leather restraints and mittens. It's a very destrsssing site. It's for his own safety, but very difficult on him when he trys to wake up.

He is on very little medication right now. But is still showing some very serious mental issues. That is apparently typical of a serious head trauma. Let's just hope it's temporary.

FTR250Rnif
07-13-2004, 11:10 AM
man! i wish him& his family the best:(

zephead400ex
07-13-2004, 12:44 PM
God speed!

Thoughts and prayers to him, his family, and friends!

lol
07-13-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
Glad to hear Phil is doing better! thats great news!:)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheJaspMan
07-14-2004, 06:24 AM
Day 11. Sorry about a later update. Rough night yesterday.

Well instead of putting the feeding and drainage tubes back in through his nose they just operated and put a direct line into his stomach. They are hoping it will help him remain calm with less irritation when he is waking up.

They have lowered his morphine level to nearly nothing. And are only trying to give Adavan every six hours instead of four. But at times he has to be given a little higher dose to calm him down.

His wife is upbeat and seems in good spirts, but it's very stressful.

When I see her tomorrow night we have to talk about some long term plans. The guys over at www.predatorowners.com have been really helpful in trying to provide info on getting his quad fixed. A couple of members donated several items that we need to replace. And it looks like all the parts on are on the way.

Santo DeRisi should be getting his shocks soon to repair them. And Daryl Rath should also be getting the arms by next week. Chris Earlywine visited him at the hospital on Sat and said he would help me get it running. I think the carb is screwed, but a donated one is available.

roostin_dale
07-14-2004, 09:17 AM
So, he is still going to ride after all this?

I hope he starts gettin better:(

TheJaspMan
07-14-2004, 09:40 AM
So, he is still going to ride after all this?

I hope he starts gettin better:(

It's really tough to say. The act of rebuilding his machine is theraputic for us teammates.

And the other reality is that this could take a long, long time and his quad may have to be sold to pay it off and eliminate a bill. His wife will not be able to survive on her income. And when preparing for the worst he could be out of work for at least a year or longer.

But we all hope he rides again! He is a fantastic teammate!!!

KYmxracer52
07-14-2004, 12:19 PM
I hope he gets to ride again as well. He's lucky to have such great friends to help him out.

TheJaspMan
07-14-2004, 12:26 PM
I want to thank everyone again for all the encouraging words. And for taking the time to read our posts.

If you get a moment please sign our guestbook and wish Phil some good health! We print them out and read the entries to him.

http://www.infernomxracing.com

Ryan
07-14-2004, 12:55 PM
I signed the guestbook.

Thanks for keeping us updated, TheJaspMan.

TheJaspMan
07-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
I signed the guestbook.

Thanks for keeping us updated, TheJaspMan.

Thank you. It will mean a lot to he and his wife.

roostin_dale
07-14-2004, 01:16 PM
Guestbook signed..

QuadJunkies
07-14-2004, 01:46 PM
Ditto;)

zephead400ex
07-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Ditto;)

Willfulone
07-14-2004, 05:24 PM
Done.

Peace
WIllfulone

QuadRacer041
07-14-2004, 06:48 PM
i signed the guest book too, tell him he is in my thoughts often.

416exmx
07-14-2004, 07:45 PM
i signed it.

C-mon Phil, pull through and get outta the hospital.

TheJaspMan
07-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Day 12

Last night Phil had his eyes open all evening. He was having a slight problem focusing (or so it seemed). His left eye is not staying in sync with his right. But did appear to fall back into place after excersing them.

He was receptive to who was in the room at times. And then other times would nod 'no' when asked if he knew who a close freind was. These are not the stronget nods. But it's something.

He has lost a lot of weight. I would guess at least 15-20 pounds already. His color is ok. But he is looking weak.

We asked if he wanted to know anything and he tried to talk to us but couldn't get his body to cooperate. I asked if he wanted to try and write it down. He didn't respond, but I placed a pen in his his hand. Instinctivly it held it properly. It was loose, but had good form. He tried to write on a pad of paper, and possibly even thought he wrote something. But it was nothing more than a scribble. Then seemed to forget what he was was doing.

My wife got him an excersize ball to squeeze. We ran a pen along his nerves, feet and hands to see response. He has a few spots that respond semi-quickly. But reaction is still weak if at all on his left side. It's concerning.

My wife made a nice collage of items and pictures to hang on his wall. It's large and has a lot of funny memories and a few touching shots. He was trying to focus in on something so I gave him a picture. He immeditaly started to tremble and I thought he may have teared up. Then relaxed and went into a zone. It was a tough, tough moment.

When we were leaving I explained that I would see him all weekend. he squeezed my hand and stared at us. It's like he knows, but is not sure if it's all real. And it doesn;t help when he is telling his body and mind to do something and it's not.

roostin_dale
07-15-2004, 08:44 AM
Well, it sounds like he is doing a little better? Good to hear:)

TheJaspMan
07-16-2004, 07:48 AM
Day 13.

Well, I'm not sure where to begin. Phil is now begining his 3rd day with no meds. His IVs have been removed and a device has been placed in his trach so he can talk. All that's currently holding him to the bed is a feeding tube in his stomach.

He was awake all evening Wed. Through a lot of the night. Then all day yesterday. He is responding to questions and asking his own.

He has no memory of the last 20+ years. He is a 14 year old in a 35 year olds body. He knows none of us, including his wife of 15 years. He remembers things up through his early teens. Details even. But nothing after a certain point. I am not sure how much more I need to say or explain about that. You can imagine the devistation his wife is going through.

We know this could be very temporary. And we pray it is. But the previous few days are showing signs that this is where he will be for a very long time. We are taking lot's of items that may spark memories or help him relive moments over the past few years. This is the time when it's going to be the hardest on everyone. We sincerly hope that his wife is one of his first memories. She needs that hope right now to keep her going. She is emotionally and physically drained. And yesterday was a very devistating blow. She has waited all this time for him to wake up and say 'I missed you, and love you.'. But the person who woke up is someone new. Her words ment nothing to the receiver. And only anger was returned.

At 34 I never thought I would see something like this. Most people spend a lifetime saying 'it will never happen to me!'. But I have discovered that's just not true.

Please; pray, hope or wish for Cody. She needs it right now.

QuadJunkies
07-16-2004, 09:30 AM
Day 13.

Well, I'm not sure where to begin. Phil is now begining his 3rd day with no meds. His IVs have been removed and a device has been placed in his trach so he can talk. All that's currently holding him to the bed is a feeding tube in his stomach.

He was awake all evening Wed. Through a lot of the night. Then all day yesterday. He is responding to questions and asking his own.

He has no memory of the last 20+ years. He is a 14 year old in a 35 year olds body. He knows none of us, including his wife of 15 years. He remembers things up through his early teens. Details even. But nothing after a certain point. I am not sure how much more I need to say or explain about that. You can imagine the devistation his wife is going through.

We know this could be very temporary. And we pray it is. But the previous few days are showing signs that this is where he will be for a very long time. We are taking lot's of items that may spark memories or help him relive moments over the past few years. This is the time when it's going to be the hardest on everyone. We sincerly hope that his wife is one of his first memories. She needs that hope right now to keep her going. She is emotionally and physically drained. And yesterday was a very devistating blow. She has waited all this time for him to wake up and say 'I missed you, and love you.'. But the person who woke up is someone new. Her words ment nothing to the receiver. And only anger was returned.

At 34 I never thought I would see something like this. Most people spend a lifetime saying 'it will never happen to me!'. But I have discovered that's just not true.

Please; pray, hope or wish for Cody. She needs it right now. That has to be TOTALLY devestating for everyone to have him lose that much of his memory ........:( Lets just thank God hes alive ,Lord knows he fought hard ot get there......;) I cant even imagine what his wife must be feeling,but having a grandparent with Alzheimers I have seen how hard it is on family when there memory goes.

Admin
07-16-2004, 10:06 AM
My prayers are with him and his wife. This is a terrible situation, and I only pray it gets better for the two of them.

Pappy
07-16-2004, 10:17 AM
its not uncommon for memory loss, i have several friends that had head traumas and thier story is the same. they never remebered the accident but after some time it all came back to them.

i wish the best for them and thank you for keeping us updated. tell his wife to keep her chin up, it will all work out:)

QuadRacer041
07-16-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin
My prayers are with him and his wife. This is a terrible situation, and I only pray it gets better for the two of them.

same here.

TheJaspMan
07-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
its not uncommon for memory loss, i have several friends that had head traumas and thier story is the same. they never remebered the accident but after some time it all came back to them.

i wish the best for them and thank you for keeping us updated. tell his wife to keep her chin up, it will all work out:)

Thanks Pappy, I will let her know. We are getting ready to head down there for the weekend right now.

TC426EX
07-16-2004, 12:00 PM
I wish the best to him. Many times with head trauma the memory will eventually come back. Lets hope it is sooner than later in this case, but it is great to hear that he is at least stabilized at this point. I work at a VA hospital in Cleveland and have seen alot of these situations. I will say that it usually turns out alright. Best wishes to him, something like that could happen to any of us...

sly400ex
07-16-2004, 08:47 PM
I will continue to keep him in my thoughts.....you and everyone else around him, friends and family stay strong! :)

SGA
07-17-2004, 09:12 AM
Pappy is right. It will come back, it will just take time. Please keep us informed. Howard

JOEX
07-18-2004, 10:45 PM
Hope things are progressing and everyone involved has the strength to help each other through this.

Joe

TheJaspMan
07-19-2004, 08:01 AM
Day 16.

What a wierd weekend. The wife and I left on Friday about 2:30 to go to the hospital. We got there around 5.He was not even close to himself. I have never seen anything like it before. He was a totally diffrent person. He spoke diffrent. Acted odd and his only goal was to cut loose the restraints and escape from the hospital.

He kept calling me 'commander' and yeally at a yellow smiley face ballon. He was never a big drinker, but everything he wanted had alchohal in it. He thought every bottle of fluid was Gin or Vodka and every can was beer. I would move anything that resemmbled a bottle or can from his line of site. And I had people stop drinking or eating in front of him. Ice chips was all he could have because of the trach tube and his state of mind.

Around 8pm I had my wife and couple other friends get his wife to out to eat. She had been in the room for days and needed a small break. I had worn my riding jersey that he always saw me in. I thought maybe it wold help him remember. He thought it was a hockey shirt. About 8:30 we started talking to the ballon again. It was a doctor this time. After 30 mins of that he stopped and paused. Looked away and said (in a diffrent tone) "so how bad was my wreck?". I looked aver and asked him if he really wanted to know. He said 'yes' and I went into quick but direct details. Grab a handful of pictures of his quad, helmet and the track. It was him. 100% him. He teared up and asked a few more questions. I told him the date and how long he has been there. The girls came back and it took about a 1/2 second for Phil to see his wife and say 'hey cody!'. I'm tearing up just rememebring it.

He stayed that way for a couple of hours and then slipped away into his psuedo self. It was a long evening and night after that. But very encouraging.

Sat he was strange again and very mean at times. He was pissed and hated me for a while. Thankfully that passed. Around 2pm my wife and I were talking to him and asked if he could remember some race we had went to a few months ago that was really muddy. We were acting like we couldn't remember. He said "Sparta?" and then he was into his mind again. He stayed that way till his mom came in the room and then turned 14 again. After she left it only took a few minutes to bring him back to reality. He stayed that way till he got exhausted around 10PM. During the day at least eight freinds showed up. He laughed, joked and it all got emotional at times. Then as he faded away they also left so he could rest.

We had to ask for some Haldol & Adavan that night to make him relax. While he was awake I spoke with him about the restraints and he understood and agreed. I told him to just tell me in the morning it was him and I would take them off immeditaly.

Sun morning he was pissed he was restrained and telling me 'F off!' and cut him loose. It took about and hour to calm him down. And around 10:30 he found himself again. He was good. We played a game of chess. Took a ride outside in a wheelchair. Played cards and relaxed. His mom showed up at 2pm and undid two days worth of recovery. It gets really frustrating.

He was being his psuedo self and trying to punk us out at one point. I had to be a little extra asertive to get him to listen. He looked over at his mom with a smirk and she rolled her eyes at me! Can you believe it? She egged him on! What a physco freak mother. That was the 2nd time she had done that in an hour. Her only agenda is trying to make up for the last 10 years that she has been out of his life. Family crap is harder to deal with than instanity!!!!

In any event, it was a long weekend. We are all exhuasted. But I think some good ground work has been set. And we also know that somewhere he is still there. Hopfully when the swelling and brusising is all gone he will make a full recovery. But it's gonna be a long road. He is being transferred to Edgewood today or towmorrow. That is within four miles of their home and it custs over 1.5 hours each way off the daily trip.

I have gotten a few direct emails. I'll get back with each one today. I amd just a little backed up at the moment.

Thank you for taking the time to read and offer support to Phil and his family.

Pappy
07-19-2004, 08:07 AM
i'd say you all are doing the right things too slowly jog his memory. and the fact that he is in and out of reality is also a good sign. the brain produces all types of chemicals when its injured so i would expect the mean streak to pass as time goes on.

i went to spend time with a friend that was in a coma for 3 weeks. 1 week after he woke up he was telling me of his plans to shoot his way out of the hospital and escape:p and like you have said, for brief moments he would be back to himself.

keep the faith, its gonna all work out!

TC426EX
07-19-2004, 09:15 AM
The Haldol could be affecting him too to a certain extent. That is a SERIOUS sedativethat often affects speech. I work in a gov't pharmacy, and people on Haldol are very closely monitored. Im sure he needs it in his state right now, but that is some serious stuff....

TheJaspMan
07-19-2004, 09:25 AM
There is such a fine line between recovery and control. I never realized until this point how head trauma can really wreak havoc on the mind. Forget ringing bells and confusion. It can create a schizophrenic mindset with fluctuations that change faster than the wind.

They said once he starts getting his internal clock going again they will no longer offer the Haldol at night. But right now he would stay up 24/7. Just a few 20-30 mins naps from time to time. That doesn't help him think straight.

Ryan
07-19-2004, 10:09 AM
Im very glad to hear he is making progress :) !

I wish him luck for a speed recovery!

SGA
07-19-2004, 10:28 AM
This is really good news. I am not a doctor, but have been around head injurys before, and some of my family is in health care. The fact that he is remembering names, events and details is a VERY good sign. Also being he has his motor skills, being able using his arms and legs is another good sign. The anger,confusion and mood swings does not surprise me at all.

The brain is like any other part of the body. If it is injured, it takes time to work correctly again. Try not to not get discouraged with the setbacks. These will pass in time.
You guys try to remain strong. Howard

TheJaspMan
07-19-2004, 02:33 PM
Great news. He got to eat some solid foods today! Lasagna and green beans. They want to remove his trach all together today and get him into rehab within 48 hours.

I spoke to him on the phone and he sounded pretty good.

His wife said he is doing really well and only struggles about 1/3 of the time. Struggling being floating thoughts and random wierdness.

I think rehab will be really good for him. He will get strong fast and I think it will help his mind if it's kept busy!!!!

More updates as things progress.

QuadRacer041
07-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Great news. He got to eat some solid foods today! Lasagna and green beans. They want to remove his trach all together today and get him into rehab within 48 hours.

I spoke to him on the phone and he sounded pretty good.

His wife said he is doing really well and only struggles about 1/3 of the time. Struggling being floating thoughts and random wierdness.

I think rehab will be really good for him. He will get strong fast and I think it will help his mind if it's kept busy!!!!

More updates as things progress.

great news man, im real happy for him and all you guys close to him i know its a very tuff thing to go through.

roostin_dale
07-19-2004, 02:57 PM
great to hear..sounds like he is getting better pretty quick...?

TheJaspMan
07-19-2004, 02:59 PM
The phyiscal side is coming along great! The mental side is probabl going to be a little slower process. But the long term is looking good.

Admin
07-19-2004, 03:01 PM
I got chills reading your last post about his recovery. I guess things are heading in the right direction, but it doesn't sound like it is going to be an easy road. He is very lucky to have such great friends to constantly visit him and keep us updated on his progress.

Again, my prayers go out to him and his family, so far they seem to be working.:)

roostin_dale
07-19-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin
I got chills reading your last post about his recovery

I did too, kinda felt like I knew him...

Santo DeRisi
07-19-2004, 08:50 PM
Day 11. Sorry about a later update. Rough night yesterday.

Well instead of putting the feeding and drainage tubes back in through his nose they just operated and put a direct line into his stomach. They are hoping it will help him remain calm with less irritation when he is waking up.

They have lowered his morphine level to nearly nothing. And are only trying to give Adavan every six hours instead of four. But at times he has to be given a little higher dose to calm him down.

His wife is upbeat and seems in good spirts, but it's very stressful.

When I see her tomorrow night we have to talk about some long term plans. The guys over at www.predatorowners.com have been really helpful in trying to provide info on getting his quad fixed. A couple of members donated several items that we need to replace. And it looks like all the parts on are on the way.

Santo DeRisi should be getting his shocks soon to repair them. And Daryl Rath should also be getting the arms by next week. Chris Earlywine visited him at the hospital on Sat and said he would help me get it running. I think the carb is screwed, but a donated one is available.

Call me when you get them sent out! I will do all that i can to help out on his quad. I wish the best for him and his family!!!

TheJaspMan
07-20-2004, 06:31 AM
Thanks Santo. I'll give you a call this afternoon with the tracking info. I sent it out yesterday. I had a couple problems taking it off by myself, so it took a little longer than expected.

It looks like the braided line simply took most of the hit. The top bolt and top hats that go into the hole are shot too.

The fronts seem perfect. Just the arms are mangled. I spoke with Rath and they are taking them. I am gonna box those up tonight and get on their way.

Phil keeps improving each day. I spoke with him last night about 10pm on my way home. He still sounded pretty good and was grasping everything. And in Phil style was asking about parts and plastic. "Fullbore Red", that's what he said to me. I guess it's time for a color change!

He is defintly moving close to home either tonight or by 1pm tomorrow. So if anyone runs through the Cincinnati area let me know we can run over and see him.

They also had an auction/raffle at the Daniel Boone park on Sunday. All the proceeds went to Phil and Cody. THey also gave him a really nice ATV MX Nationals Trophy for Round 10. It was cool. Jerry runs a nice place.

Big Rock ATV Park donated a bunch too. It would be nice to set a date for a day ride at Big Rock. Within a couple of weeks Chris Earlywines place will be open too and is just a couple miles up the road. Everyone could check it out.

quadfamily
07-20-2004, 10:18 PM
Damn! Sorry to hear about the terrible accident and all the injuries. I'm really happy to hear he's recovering though. That's great news! It also seems like it was the drugs that were making him whacked out, at least partly. I've seem that happen before with a relative. JaspMan, you're a great friend, keep up the good work with your buddy and his family. I think things will turn out ok in the end although the end seems like it is far away right now. I gotta admit, reading this made my eyes start to well up a bit. This is really heart wrenching stuff! God bless you all!

Tread70
07-20-2004, 11:28 PM
I am not a racer but my heart feels for the family, especially the wife. I was in a motorcycle accident 4 years ago Sept. 7th. I remember turning around in my friends driveway and the next is walking to a semi-private room 4-5 days later. My wife had the hardest part of my accident, she stayed strong but it was hard with the things that she said I did while in ICU. He will be lucky if he remembers the accident, I don't. The wife is the one that needs 75% of the prayers right now, as she will have a hard road ahead of her, mostly mental stress.
My wife says to expect times of him not remembering things, his short term memory will be affected for a good while. I had short term memory loss for about three weeks after I got out of the hospital. I would ask the same questions several times, not even 10 mins apart. She needs to get out for some alone time and rest. I'm sure you can help out to get her out while you are there with him. She needs all the friends and families support right now. The hardest part will be when he comes home. She will not get much rest and needs the help of friends to help out to let her get some sleep or just get out of the house for some peace. My wife is offering to talk with her if she needs someone to talk to that has been thru a similiar situation albiet I was not as bad but the advise and comfort may be helpful for things to come. I will send you my home number via PM and tell her please call if she needs someone to listen or needs some advise.

Best Wishes,
Tread

TheJaspMan
07-21-2004, 06:48 AM
I just spoke with him this morning. He simply continues to sound better. He has a long road ahead, but his begining sounds great so far!!!

A couple of people from kentuckyriders.com went to see him last night. They took him a helmet and some flowers. So that was really nice. It's great to see how each site has really stuck together and been helpful not only as indaviduals, but also as groups.

Thanks again.

spincr4hire
07-21-2004, 06:49 AM
Myself, Kristal (Krismon) and Missy (PolarisChick) went by UK hospital and saw Phil last night. I was suprised on how far he has come. He actually remembered who I was (I've only met him twice, rode with him one time last year). Kristal took him a helmet that was donated by T&T Motorsports, he seemed to really like it.

His wife said they are moving him to the rehabilitation center today, and he'll be there for 2 weeks, then should be able to return home and return for rehab off and on.

He was telling me that he is going to start woods racing, forget the MX.:D

07-21-2004, 12:41 PM
I have a buddy that has been in rehab for 3 years now do to head trauma in a MX wreck. Everyone will need to be patiant with Him during his healing time. He will do and say wierd things for years to come probably. Wake up one day and think he smokes cigs, like my buddy has. I hope he gets better and by the sounds of things his recoup time is much better than my buddies. I do know the feeling of seeing a friend layed up in a bed in bad shape, head swollen 2 times it's normal size. I wish his family the best.

TheJaspMan
07-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Day 19

Sorry it took so long to post. This has been a horrible month for way too many of our friends.

Phil has officialy been moved (as of yesterday) to a live-in therapy center.

He sounds great! And he is really improving. I know he is getting better because he is getting bored. That is usually a good sign.

We are going to see him this afternoon. I will post more right after we see him.

QuadRacer041
07-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Day 19

Sorry it took so long to post. This has been a horrible month for way too many of our friends.

Phil has officialy been moved (as of yesterday) to a live-in therapy center.

He sounds great! And he is really improving. I know he is getting better because he is getting bored. That is usually a good sign.

We are going to see him this afternoon. I will post more right after we see him.

give him a pat on the shoulder and tell him congrats.

Jingle 11
07-22-2004, 11:17 PM
Iv'e never had to go through any of this stuff but if i did i would want someone there like you. He is lucky to have a good friend that takes care of him. If i can do anything plz let me kno.

Fred55
07-23-2004, 11:03 PM
Get him a damn laptop!!:p

Tell him his predator was one of hte nicest ive ever seen!

TheJaspMan
07-24-2004, 05:51 AM
Day 21

I have to say that Phil is making some great progress. He sounds good and seems to be thinking straight. His short term memory is still a little off. But the double vision is about gone and he is getting stronger.

He was laid up so long that his broken collar bone is a little stiff and it's harder to work it now. But he claims to have some sadistic nurses who are helping him out.

All in all I am really happy and I am confident this will have a great ending. He really got a 2nd chance on life.

I've got a laptop for him to use. It's the phone line that's a problem.

TheJaspMan
07-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Day 24

Man is Phil doing good. He is getting stronger and looks great! He has three diffrent kinds of therapy each day. And is doing great in each. His collar bone is aching and body is basically sore. But he is working through it.

His spirts seem to go up and down. But whos wouldn't?!?!

I am leaving ina few hours to go spend the evening there and am lookng forward to seeing his progress. I'll keep everyone informed. At his current pace he could be home by Aug 5th.

Pappy
07-27-2004, 11:30 AM
great to hear!

Doibugu2
07-27-2004, 12:02 PM
Glad to hear that he is doing good.

:D

JDiablo
07-27-2004, 12:17 PM
thats great to hear....must been a rough time tho,but you know he is getting better when he says sadistic nurses.....lmao

Jingle 11
07-27-2004, 04:51 PM
Aug 5th wooo thats my birthdday. :D

philsan
08-10-2004, 09:31 AM
hey, it's me , philsan. and I just want to say thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers. because of them i'm home now and have only a collarbone that needs to finish healing. my short term memory and cocentration skills need work too. again thank you to everyone for I'm one greatful SOB that things have as good as thay have considering the gave possibilities that could've been!!

Jennys440'Dale
08-10-2004, 09:35 AM
Glad you are home. Good luck to you in your recovery!

YLW400
08-10-2004, 10:24 AM
I'm glad your doing better man.....;)

quadfamily
08-10-2004, 10:25 AM
You are a very very lucky person! Glad to hear you're doing good and your recovering well from your injuries. Hope you stick around here!

Oh, and that short term memory thing could come in handy with the wife if you know what I mean;)
Uh, no honey, I don't remember you asking me to take out the trash..............

TheJaspMan
08-10-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by quadfamily
You are a very very lucky person! Glad to hear you're doing good and your recovering well from your injuries. Hope you stick around here!

Oh, and that short term memory thing could come in handy with the wife if you know what I mean;)
Uh, no honey, I don't remember you asking me to take out the trash..............

LMAO!!!! That might be a good enough reason for me to take a hit on the noggin!

roostin_dale
08-10-2004, 11:05 AM

lmao!

Hey man..glad your better. That was a nasty lookin wipe-out you had! Stay Strong:)

JDiablo
08-10-2004, 11:07 AM

lmao no doubt,hey but you know what they say,from every bad thing comes a good thing....welcome back man and glad to are doing better.........

roostin_dale
08-10-2004, 11:13 AM
btw man...are you gunna keep riding/racing?

once again..glad your better;)

XANDADA
08-10-2004, 11:18 AM
very glad to hear that you are OK and recovering! Sounds like you have an incredible family & friends. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery...

philsan
08-12-2004, 07:12 PM
I'm goona keep racing, but no MX, im all about Cross country now! and to Roostin Dale, Did you see it? If you did could you post what happened. I can"t remember it and everyone who has told us was tellin us what they heard from a friend who knows someone who saw it happen. I just need a first hand account. Thanks again

Freestylemxr
08-12-2004, 11:33 PM
Wow what an amazing storey! Phil thats awsome that you made a good recovery! Good luck with the colar bone and your racing in the future! I'm surely one of your great fans now ;) :p you have to really love to sport to come back to it after that!