PDA

View Full Version : Lonestar Axle Owner's please read

Holty
03-28-2002, 01:01 PM
I'm looking for a axle lock nut for my new LSR axle. Colby from C&D Racing said they don't make one for the 400ex, only the 25r and banshee. They do have the anti fade one for mad $$$, but i don't want that. What lock nut's are you guys using? where to buy it, how much? thanks.

Before you ask, the Durablue one's won't work.

Also, I think someone said something about a RAD lock nut?? where can I find info on that?

03-28-2002, 01:06 PM
I got a sure-lock from speedracingproducts.com,,,but someone put a pic out here of one with dual locking bolts on it,,which I really like and it was cheaper than most,,I still like my sure-lock,,but the dual lock would be better...sorry I don't know the name..I'm sure that person will get on here and let you know.. But go check out speedracingproducts.com anyway..

400exRacerX
03-28-2002, 01:10 PM
Ditto!, I have a sure-loc axle locknut too. $44.99 and well worth it!

papaw
03-28-2002, 01:43 PM
i justgt my anti -fade but all my buds are getting the ones like the surelock i think rad mfg. makes them with the dual locks.....

Holty
03-28-2002, 01:50 PM
I would also like to get the ones with dual locks. Does anybody know for sure if they will work with the LSR axle and do they have a website? thanks.

Smoker
03-28-2002, 07:33 PM
www.meszmoto.com $29.95, I'm impressed with the quality of the nut and comes with a detailed instruction sheet. http://www.meszmoto.com/Pics/400EX_Axle_Nut_L.jpg :p

Holty
03-28-2002, 07:42 PM
Is that the one you have on your bike???!!!! Will it work with the LSR Axcaliber axle?? that's the most important question......

CBW
03-28-2002, 07:47 PM
if you have a lsr axle and do not have or want the anti fade.......than you are using the stock nut right???,,,,,,,then the rad, or the double lock one should thread right on to the stock splined disc brake hub........i used the stock nut for a while on my lsr.....

03-28-2002, 07:49 PM
The Rad Lock looks just like the Sure Lock, at least when I got my Rad lock. You asked if it will work on a LSR axle, I would think it would, unless you can't use the stock Honda nut. These Sure Locks and Rad Locks, etc, have the same threads as the stock Honda does. Good luck!!!

Note: I really recommend one of these bad boys, not only are they very functional, they look cool too!:cool:

Holty
03-28-2002, 07:50 PM
see the problem is that with the LSR axle, you are not using the stock brake hub. the axle comes with it's own hub. therefore i want to be sure i get the correct axle lock nut that will work with my axle. it seems no one can give me a staight answer on this.

Holty
03-28-2002, 07:54 PM
so what you're sayin is.........any lock nut that will work with the stock axle should work with the LSR axle right???? so it really dosn't matter what brake hub you have??? if that is true.....than why did Lonestar themselves say when i called them that they don't make a axle lock nut for the 400ex, only the 250r, banshee, raptor, etc. they told me my only options with the 400ex are the stock lock nut or an anti fade setup which is real pricey??? so does anybody know for sure??

CBW
03-28-2002, 08:01 PM
well i thought about it and i guess i never used my stock brake hub with my lsr axle........but it also never came with a brake hub........but did come with the sprocket hub..............are you sure you are getting a brake hub with it.........cause they only come with the sprocket hub .............."400EX axles are adjustable from 1 1/2" to 3 1/2" wider than stock, and come with a Billet Sprocket Hub" ,,,,,,,,,directly from the LSR Catalog 5th edition

EDIT:,,,,,,,so you can use the stock nut.........they are splined the same.

nigsrig
03-28-2002, 08:07 PM
i have a durablue lock nut on my lonestar axle and it works just fine

Evan
03-28-2002, 08:07 PM
I belive that the LSR only come with the sprocket hub. That would be pricey to send both the sprocket hub and brake hub. Regardless, if you can use the stock honda nut then u can use one of those aluminum jobs like Smoker posted which is what I have on mine. All it does is screw on the stock threads and just replaces those double locknuts so no more headache and worrying. Go ahead and get the axl and one of those lock nuts trust me it will work.

Holty
03-28-2002, 09:23 PM
thanks guys.....and i meant the sprocket hub not brake hub....sorry.

Smoker
03-28-2002, 09:51 PM
My LSR axle should be here tomorrow and it should definitely work. The 400ex axle is the same to a 250r except the outside hub splines are different. I won't have time to put the axle on until next week but I will let you know how it works out. They are right, the only different brake hub is the anti fade but it does come with the sharp looking sprocket hub.:p

trx400ex
03-29-2002, 08:57 AM
is my lonestar banshee axle supposed to have a sproket hub, cuz it dont?

03-29-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by trx400ex
is my lonestar banshee axle supposed to have a sproket hub, cuz it dont?

I would think so,,,,since they use like a 10 Ton press to get them sprocket hubs on there..:eek:

trx400ex
03-29-2002, 02:10 PM
no, i figured it out, the yamahas sprocket hub slips on and off, the locknuts are on the opposite side as hondas, dang i hate putting axles on, i cant wait till tonight when i put the pipes on though...rico i like the lonestar axle better than the durablue, it came with all the nuts and clips where i had to buy new ones for the durablue....

Guy400
03-29-2002, 02:54 PM
Yeah, the Yamaha sprocket hub is splined just like your wheel hubs on the outside ends of the axle. The sprocket hub just slips on and off. trx, don't be worried about the axle replacment, it's a snap. Take the hubs off the old axle, take the axle nuts off, you'll probably have to take a piece of wood and put it on the right hand side of the axle and "persuade" it with a hammer. Once you slide the old axle out you just put the sprocket hub on, slip it through the bearing carrier, put your brake hub back on and run the nuts on. You only use like 15ft./lbs. of torque for the locknuts and then you put your wheels back on. You're looking at a 1/2 hour job and that's if you run into trouble. Should only be about 20 minutes.

trx400ex
03-29-2002, 03:02 PM
well my dad already took the old axle off, so it will be even less work, but since i wasnt there to take it off, i dont want to try to put the new one on because more than likely i will mess something up, + i dont know wheer all the parts are at in our mess of a garage:D

guy, i almost got the toomeys, but lrd convinced me that theres was the best, they look good atleast, but dang there expensive

Guy400
03-29-2002, 03:10 PM
Of course LRD convinced you that their pipes were the best:D I'm partial to the T-5's and most all the Shee's run them but whatever floats your boat, they're far better than stockers at any rate.

I know the kid who bought my friend's Shee and he already blew it up. He's got to have new pistons, rings and wrist pins put in. This kid destroys everything he touches. His score so far is 1 blown Shee, 1 blown Foreman, 1 blown Firebird and 1 wrecked 4x4 Ranger. He rode the Shee like it was free. Jump on it, start it, immediately run 9000RPM for the next 2 hours. He was d!ckin' around at a friend's house doing donuts in some wet grass and he shut the bike down. When he went to leave it wouldn't restart. Top end tear down looks like a simple matter of constant abuse. There's nothing that really sticks out as the culprit, looks like just general lack of common sense.

Wired
03-29-2002, 03:26 PM
what do you mean the durablue posi lock wont work with the lonestar axle?? thats what im running on my 250R and i havent had any problems with it. i just set it where i want and it stays!!

trx400ex
03-29-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by GuyLT250R
Of course LRD convinced you that their pipes were the best:D I'm partial to the T-5's and most all the Shee's run them but whatever floats your boat, they're far better than stockers at any rate.

I know the kid who bought my friend's Shee and he already blew it up. He's got to have new pistons, rings and wrist pins put in. This kid destroys everything he touches. His score so far is 1 blown Shee, 1 blown Foreman, 1 blown Firebird and 1 wrecked 4x4 Ranger. He rode the Shee like it was free. Jump on it, start it, immediately run 9000RPM for the next 2 hours. He was d!ckin' around at a friend's house doing donuts in some wet grass and he shut the bike down. When he went to leave it wouldn't restart. Top end tear down looks like a simple matter of constant abuse. There's nothing that really sticks out as the culprit, looks like just general lack of common sense.

man that dude sounds rough.....i got to ride it today, but it needs rejeted and i think im going to get that toomey airfilter setup if i can find it the lonestar plus 3 axle didnt make a diffrence like the plus 4 setup did, at least i didnt notice it,,,,, next i get to spend a fortune on the front end:(

Guy400
03-29-2002, 06:10 PM
The air filter set up that comes with the Toomey kit is just a foam Uni-filter and 12 Uni-vents that you place wherever you see fit. We put 2 in the top near the back of the lid, 4 on each side of the box near the back of the box and then 2 on the back of the airbox. Then Toomey tells you to remove the snorkel from the front airbox lid and that's it.

Just thought I'd save you the time in finding out Toomey's setup cause that's it :D

trx400ex
03-29-2002, 06:12 PM
i thought they had the 2 into one thing that clamped directly to the carbs or something:confused: , i dont knwo but i would like to just get rid of the whole airbox....

Guy400
03-29-2002, 06:16 PM
Oh, you're talking about that "Boost Bottle." Some guys swear by them while others just sweat at them. The comment I hear most about those is that they really don't notice a difference with them on or off.

Holty
03-29-2002, 07:08 PM
please do not! take offense to this....but this is a "lonestar axle" post in the steering and suspension forum, not a "banshee" post in the open forum. NO FLAME INTENDED! please do not reply on this matter, i just wanted to say it.

WiredCinqmars:

it may work for you on your 250r but i have a 400ex, not a 250r. i was told by lonestar and I quote them " your only choices are the anti fade and the stock lock nut on the 400ex". no one mentioned the 250r. again, no flame intended, i'm just trying my best to find out all the info i can before i go and waste $50 on a axle luck nut after i just spent over $1200 on axle, a-arms, and shocks.

thanks for the input everyone!

trx400ex
03-29-2002, 07:16 PM
sorry, i just asked a question about my lonestar axle on my banshee... ive seen many threads that go offtopic, infact, most do

guy, i dont mean the boost bottle,,, the thing has 2 boots that clamp on the carbs... then they go into one tube and you clamp the airfilter on it...i remember seeing pics of it a while back..hmm looks like time to read through all my old dirtwheels

Holty
03-29-2002, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I understand......again, no flame was intended.

EXtreme-
03-29-2002, 08:58 PM
Holty,
I tend to agree with the 250r post...but I'm only human. Seems to me that it wouldn't matter about interchanging parts unless the splines don't match.

With the durablue posilock, the stock collar is not used....instead it's replaced with it's own collar and splined nut. As long as the splines are the same, there's no reason, other than "only buy our product" that it cant be used.

With the rad and others, I assume the stock collar must be used and the new locking nut is used for pressure up against the circlip?

I'd make some calls to the other companies to make certain....headache prevention! Here's a pic to back up my theory....

Holty
03-29-2002, 09:20 PM
Steve,

i can't really get my point across strong enough. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing (sp?) with anyone here. I'm just saying that if Lonestar makes a axle lock nut for the 250r, but they don't make one for the 400ex, something has to be different? Right?

EXtreme-
03-29-2002, 09:37 PM
idunno, Josh.......that's why I said to make a few calls to be sure. Personally, the pic of the lock with the two allen heads on it looks pretty beefy. I'm not really sold on the one I have anyway. :(

Holty
03-29-2002, 09:40 PM
yep, i'm gonna keep tryin around different places. i can't believe no one on here has a 400ex with a lonestar axle and used a axle lock nut? thanks for help.

03-29-2002, 09:58 PM
hey guys i just got a lsr axle too, i had to cut and chiselt to get the stock nut off but the threaded piece that slides on the spline is fine no damage at all, im also goin to purchase a axle loc nut for my axle and i saw the one with double bolt lock nut for 29.95 id like to know if its durable and works good wit the lsr, i just dont what a crappy lock nut if im gonna spend the money and i want one wich will work on my axle
thanks

Holty
04-02-2002, 07:02 AM
freeridin400ex:

that's basically the same question I asked when I first started this post. nobody knows for sure. I went ahead and ordered one from RAD.

check it out.

www.radmfg.com

Evan
04-02-2002, 09:46 AM
OK listen up any axle nut that works on the sock axle will work on an aftermarket axle. You just have to use the thing that has threads on it and slides over the splines. Just about any locknut will work as long as it was designed for honda, dont go buy a raptor locknut and expect it to work. So to answer your question holty, yes the rad, durablue, and just about any lock nut for honda will work, if it fits a 250r or 300ex it will work on your axle. freeridn400 that locknut is not durablue, but it works just as good if not better, all you are paying for is the name, if you want to spend the extra 20 bucks go ahead they all do they same thing. I won one off ebay that has 2 allen bolts in it and it works great. Oh BTW did you know that your lock nuts are reverse thread? that might have been why you had such a hard time getting it off.

Oh Holty I went back and read some of your other posts, LSR told you that to get you to buy one of their products, call up another mfg, and I bet they would tell you something different. Also there is no difference in the 250R stock locknut and the 400EX stock locknut so they are interchangeable. I know b/c I have both and my 400 threads were a little boogerd so I put my 250rs on there and it worked fine. The axles are even the same except for the splines on the end for the wheel hubs, the Rs are beefy while the 400s are skinny, so if you wanted a strong setup buy an R axle and hubs.

Heres my axle nut, see it uses the stock thread thing, works great, its just like smokers pic but made by a different company, they are really easy to make, I am going to get a friend to make me one just like and since you can only buy aluminum in 1 foot lengths I am going to sell the rest of em to split up the cost.

Holty
04-02-2002, 09:51 AM
Someone with an answer that knows for sure. Thank you.

Dave400ex
04-02-2002, 10:08 AM
Holty, Do you have your A-Arms, Shocks, or Axle yet?

Holty
04-02-2002, 11:15 AM
My LSR Axle will be here this Thursdsay(4/1/02), so it will probably go in this weekend. As for my a-arms and shocks, they are still on order. I would guess probably not for a couple weeks or so before I get those. Trust me, when they get here, i'll let everyone know :D

Dave400ex
04-02-2002, 11:46 AM
Where did you get your A-Arms and Shocks? I didn`t know Houser was backed up.

Holty
04-02-2002, 01:10 PM
I got both my Elka shocks and Houser A-arms from "thequadshop". I hope it isn't too long of a wait.

Dave400ex
04-02-2002, 03:29 PM
It shouldn`t be to Long. Houser must be behind with all the Stuff people have been Buying. I hope Elka doesn`t get way Behind. I don`t want to Wait Long when I get my Shocks.